Contribute
Register

Warning/Report: Booting Clover on a real Mac can be dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I received the chip today and assembled as described by the guys from https://macunlocks.com

cheers

PS: installation just finished and it works like charm

iCloud and iMessage Work as usual?
The serial number remain the same?
I've made the same mistake Tuesday........
I've ordered a Efi Chip from Macunlock.....
I'll receive it on Monday........

I hope to restore my MBP Retina......

Update 15/1/2018 18:20

Solved Everything is working now!

Last edited:
@mgsanna

iCloud and iMessage Work as usual? Yes
The serial number remain the same? No

good luck

Just had this happen to my MBP 2015 Retina. This is something that everyone should be very aware of. It can happen really quickly even by accident. I was consolidating and cleaning out a few external hard drives I had around. One of them I had used several months ago for a hackintosh build install, so it had clover in its EFI. I had reformatted the main partition, but did not realize the EFI was still intact with clover ready to boot. I also use reEFIt as a standard boot loader so when the menu came up I didnt think twice about pressing enter in to Mac OS. I realized after that it was loading from clover but did not think much of it. Everything seemed to work fine until I decided to restart. On the next boot it is stuck at the chime and does a restart loop before the chime even finishes.

Talk about a panic! It took me a minute to figure out after searching online that clover was the culprit and that the EFI in the logic board is corrupted. Not good news!!

I will be ordering the macunlock EFI first chance I get. Very fortunate to know that there is a solution to fix this that is relatively simple. I will post a follow up as soon as I receive it.

P.S. Not sure if this is already, but maybe this thread should be a sticky. This is a very serious situation that should have more awareness. Mac users beware of clover!

Just had this happen to my MBP 2015 Retina. This is something that everyone should be very aware of. It can happen really quickly even by accident. I was consolidating and cleaning out a few external hard drives I had around. One of them I had used several months ago for a hackintosh build install, so it had clover in its EFI. I had reformatted the main partition, but did not realize the EFI was still intact with clover ready to boot. I also use reEFIt as a standard boot loader so when the menu came up I didnt think twice about pressing enter in to Mac OS. I realized after that it was loading from clover but did not think much of it. Everything seemed to work fine until I decided to restart. On the next boot it is stuck at the chime and does a restart loop before the chime even finishes.

Talk about a panic! It took me a minute to figure out after searching online that clover was the culprit and that the EFI in the logic board is corrupted. Not good news!!

I will be ordering the macunlock EFI first chance I get. Very fortunate to know that there is a solution to fix this that is relatively simple. I will post a follow up as soon as I receive it.

P.S. Not sure if this is already, but maybe this thread should be a sticky. This is a very serious situation that should have more awareness. Mac users beware of clover!
Don't worry it's matter of a couple of minute to install, reboot reset pram and reinstall a fresh copy of OS X and you are just like before messing things up

Don't worry it's matter of a couple of minute to install, reboot reset pram and reinstall a fresh copy of OS X and you are just like before messing things up

Just want to check in and report the current status. The macunlocks EFI came in today. So I pulled the back panel off the MBP, unplugged the battery, installed the chip, replugged battery and back panel, reset the NVRAM and everything is looking good. Took less than an hour but probably could have done it in 20-30 minutes with experience. I was being super careful.

I will need to reinstall mac os from what I can tell like everyone has been saying but everything seems to be running well. Just going to do a quick backup and do a quick format. Also, my serial number seems to match perfectly as well. For anyone who is running in to this EFI problem, dont hesitate with macunlocks.

So happy things are up and running again.

If I have two macbooks (one MBA 2012 another MBA 2015), could I just use the uncorrupted efi ROM to replace the corrupted one?

If I have two macbooks (one MBA 2012 another MBA 2015), could I just use the uncorrupted efi ROM to replace the corrupted one?
How would you do that ?

How would you do that ?
I'm naively thinking one might somehow "unsolder" one ROM but anyways I guess the different serial numbers will make the swap invalid even if the other parts of the process were to go on smoothly

Hi,
need the Macunlock Team my Serialnumer or my hardeware uuid?
The Serialnumber is no Problem -> on backcover.
But how find I out my Hardware UUID with a corrupted EFI?

What kind of Issue i have when I don´t tell them my S/N or UUID?

A alternative to Macunlock (all Chips out of stock) is the MattCard from cmizapper.com (http://www.cmizapper.com/buy/mattcard-macbook-air.html)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back