CPU
i3-4330
Graphics
Sapphire R9 380 2G Mini DP ITX Compact OC
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
So, it all begun with a hdd failure.
The model of imac is A1419, i believe is 2015 model.

In the past i installed yosemite, from a hackintosh stick made with clover, an imac with no problem ( it was an older model of imac , the model that has the glass kept in place with magnets).

Now the imac was in good order except from the hdd problem. when you start it, it opened with a folder with a question mark.

First i started with cmd+r and open disk utility and the only partition was osx base disk 1,3 gb, and the whole disk was seen as 1.3 gb
then i inserted a stick with high sierra, with clover. it booted directly from the stick and the clover boot selection appeared and the only option was : boot from usb. i selected to boot from usb then an apple logo appeared ( but was much smaller in size, about 1 cm) and hang like this for about 5 minutes. i restarted holding the button and tried again but it was the same.
Then i tried to boot from a sierra usb with clover, and it happened the same. it hang after i choose to boot from stick ( with the small apple logo)

Then i sad, maybe will work with the yosemite stick :))
I inserted the stick and when i start the imac, after the first sound, the screen was dark but with some light underneath, and the starting sound repeated over and over again at 2 seconds interval.
And everything i tried after was in vain.
all you could hear was bang bang bang...

So i take it to a friend who took off the display, change the faulty hdd with a new ssd. he was the one who discovered that it will start with no screen at all.

The board has 4 diagnostic leds.
with the display attached 3 leds lights up, but the last did not , and the imac entered in the chime loop.
with the display detached from the board, all the for leds will light up, only one chime sound, and the vents will go to full speed.
we concluded that is a problem is with the video card. we looked up for a spare logic board on the internet.

Then i backtracked what i did and i found this forum.
AAAhhh
i had no idea of what can happen if you use a clover usb on a mac.
Ah ah ah.

Then i thought that maybe clover messed up something that has to do with the videocard and the retina display high resolution and if i can start it without the videocard, i can install the osx and update it and maybe it will update the efi by itself (i read somewere that wen you upgrade from sierra to high sierra it will also update the efi eprom)

But without retina display and with external monitor - same chime loop
Then i opened it with no display at all and did the pram reset, and it worked. :)
With the display attached it did not have time to do the pram reset because it will restart itself too often (after 2 seconds)

So maybe this will help some of you in the future.
unplug the display ( the screen) from the main board and see if it starts, and if it does, do a pram reset.

Motherboard
a1502 emc2835
CPU
2.7ghz
mmcubu1,

I have the same issue with a macbook pro 13" And indeed if I disconnect the screen the chime only goes once in stead off indefenately.

But I tried alt+cmd+p+r to reset pram. And also crtl+alt+p+r like you typed (I suppose crtl by mistake in stead of cmd). But it made no difference until now after connection the screen back in.

Did you do something else? And how long did you keep the keycombination? because my mac makes the chime once it starts but not after reset of the pram so without the screen I cannot see when it is rebooted.

Thanks,

Karel

Motherboard
gigabyte H97M-HD3
CPU
i3-4330
Graphics
Sapphire R9 380 2G Mini DP ITX Compact OC
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
mmcubu1,

I have the same issue with a macbook pro 13" And indeed if I disconnect the screen the chime only goes once in stead off indefenately.

But I tried alt+cmd+p+r to reset pram. And also crtl+alt+p+r like you typed (I suppose crtl by mistake in stead of cmd). But it made no difference until now after connection the screen back in.

Did you do something else? And how long did you keep the keycombination? because my mac makes the chime once it starts but not after reset of the pram so without the screen I cannot see when it is rebooted.

Thanks,

Karel
Just do the pram reset like you normally do it. press the power button and then the keys. you will know when it resets because you hear the chime again.
In my case it reset itself in about 7 to 10 seconds , and i let it reset about 3 times then i release the keys, shut it down by holding the button and then i plug the display back.
And it worked
Sorry, y meant cmd+alt+p+r
If you hear only one chime and the vents are working, it means that it starts.
Maybe its freezing after..

In my case i had an empty (new) ssd inside instead of his hdd because i had just changed it. Maybe it was because of this.
Unplug your hdd/ssd and give it another try.

Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
TL;DR Clover messed up my Mac's firmware, had to remove logic board, reprogram a really tiny chip with a Raspberry Pi, countless hours wasted.

Also, I LOVE Clover...on real PC hardware. But don't boot it just for fun on your Mac, you'll maybe regret it.

I just wanted to report my experience here as I'm sure someone will try this, just like I did and really mess up their Mac.
I have read on multiple occasions that nothing will happen, even by RehabMan.

So I decided to boot Clover on my MacBook Pro 13" early 2015. I did not boot an OS and also didn't modify the settings, but decided to turn the Mac off after playing around for a bit.
After powering the Mac down, it would not boot again.

When it is powered on, you hear the chime one time and the backlight turns on. After that you will hear the second half of the chime looped infinitely. Nothing except for the SMC reset will work, every action that requires powering the Mac on will result in the loop.

To fix it, I had to fully disassemble it, remove the Logic Board and access a tiny SOIC8 chip (the chip containing the UEFI firmware) on the BACK of the LB using the POMONA 5250 clip and then dump the corrupted firmware (will explain why), then reprogram the EEPROM with a Raspberry Pi and 8 cables with a dumped original firmware I had downloaded. You cannot download every original dump for every Mac model, every dump came from forum users and I got lucky to even find one for my machine.

Then, I had to open the corrupted dump with a Hex Editor and find the Intel ME region and how long it is, copy it to the new downloaded dump (without a clean or original ME region your Mac will be unbearably slow) and also find the serial number and replace it with my own. Then I had to reprogram the chip with the new, modified ROM.

Also, the chip is so damn tiny the clip could not make proper contact and I had to physically remove plastic from the clip to further expose the contacts and hold it in place by a contraption of lego bricks and elastic bands. I had to try over an hour just to make stable contact.

All in all I spent countless hours researching and waited over a week for the damn clip ($25 btw + $4 for cables) to arrive.
8/10 experience cannot complain but wouldn't recommend.

Hi everyone,

The Web site ghostlyhaks is offline and I cannot find information how to proceed.
I have mac mini 2012 6.1 with logic board 820-3227-A and SOIC8 25L6406E
Could you explain me step by step what to do to program flash memory and how can I use my serial and correct ME?
Where Can I find the BIN files for my mac mini?

Thank you

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Threadripper 3970X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Xserve
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi everyone,

The Web site ghostlyhaks is offline and I cannot find information how to proceed.
I have mac mini 2012 6.1 with logic board 820-3227-A and SOIC8 25L6406E
Could you explain me step by step what to do to program flash memory and how can I use my serial and correct ME?
Where Can I find the BIN files for my mac mini?

Thank you
It is far easier to just insert a Matt Card onto the motherboard, no flashing/trashing needed. Takes about 5 seconds once you have the case opened.

Have a look here, http://www.cmizapper.com/buy/mattcard-mac-desktops.html

Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks Ploddles, I know this possibility but I'd like to keep it as a second option.

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP Z2 Mini G3 System Board ID 82C0
CPU
i7-7700
Graphics
Quadro M620 & HD 530
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
I inadvertently installed Clover on my Mac Mini a few days ago, but have not restarted it since. I can mount the EFI partition and see the BOOT folder, CLOVER folder and Clover install log.

Would deleting the CLOVER folder from the EFI partition be enough? Or should I consider my BIOS already flashed and as good as bricked on the next restart?

Motherboard
HP Z2 Mini G3 System Board ID 82C0
CPU
i7-7700
Graphics
Quadro M620 & HD 530
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yep, pretty much kaput now.
Hey all, for what it's worth I was able to shut down and restart.
Here's what I did after installing Clover and before restarting:
  • I mounted the EFI partition of disk0s1 and removed the CLOVER folder and emptied the trash.
  • I shut down and unplugged the monitor, based on what @mmcubu1 suggested above.
  • I reset PRAM by holdiing cmd+alt+p+r for about 30 seconds. For some reason it wouldn't chime like normal. I figured 30 seconds was enough to cycle at least 3 times. (After restarting I saw my monitor was set as the audio output, so maybe it didn't auto-switch to the internal speaker when I unplugged it, or maybe my sound was all the way down, IDK.)
  • Powered off with the button on the case.
  • Plugged monitor in and restarted. No issues.
I opened Clover Configurator to see what was on the EFI partition, but there is no option to mount the disk0s1 anymore.

Maybe deleting the Clover files before the first restart made the difference? Hope this helps someone.