Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @kgp!
I've had over 6 months of successful use of Logic X with your build! No crashes while running heavy Logic sessions.

However, I've have a new crash problem. Perhaps you can point in me in the right direction for a fix?
(please see attached crash logs).

- I'm having some random reboots, where upon reboot Mac OS fails to load. (crashes during OS Sierra loading, with error readout). Sometimes it just goes to black screen after the apple loading, no readout.
- Also having freezes / hangs while typing into this thread using firefox. So instead of complete crash, entire system is frozen.

I have NOT changed any settings nor done any updates since my initial setup.

I must admit my RAM choice is not from the 'Qualified Vendors List' - my RAM is same brand and specs as instructed but I ran the risk of trying this model which is not on the list: G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-32GTZA
Do you suspect this RAM is the issue? Or maybe a faulty RAM?

So far I am able to successfully boot via my SATA clone drive. Can you suggest any way to verify if there's an issue with the kext for using M.2 SSD?

Lastly, I have not implemented sleep / wake functions - not sure if that effects stability.
The only bug I've had prior to this onset of crashing / reboots is that if I walk away from the machine for a while, when I come back and use the mouse, the GUI lags, finder windows and dock icons responds slow, but after moving things around for 20 seconds it all catches up to normal speed.

Thanks again. -J

X99 Deluxe II
Intel i7 6850k
Samsung 960 EVO
Gigabyte 1060 6GB
G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-32GTZA
Thunderbolt EX 3 Card (functional)
Firewire 800 pci card

View attachment 339629 View attachment 339630 View attachment 339631 View attachment 339632

Crashes vanish when using your clone drive? Did you try a clean install on some spare disk?

Crashes vanish when using your clone drive? Did you try a clean install on some spare disk?
Yes, I tried a spare disk with clean install - but no crashes do not completely vanish.
This clone was able to get me out of the reboot cycle and past the apple loading screen and into Sierra. However it still crashed once shortly after.
And after booting with this spare disk, I was then able to fully boot from the M.2 SSD that was previously stuck in a reboot cycle.
Now when trying to boot from either disk I am sometimes able to work for 40 mins or more before a crash.

I'm also exploring possible issues with heat - We've had a heat wave hit here. My cpu temp is fine, around 50 C. But I'm trying to improve cooling in the case for the RAM etc and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Alternatively you can create a software RAID using Disk Utility
Hi I did exactly this but now Clover is not booting anymore. I get this message right before clover manager.
IMG_2246.JPG
If I unplug the six HDD I can boot properly.
I tried placeing SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext into the kext/other, but it did not work.

Hello @kgp or anyone else reading.

I managed to get everything working properly on my build (x99 deluxe ii, 6800k, 1070) except my Samsung 950 EVO SSD and sleep/wake. I used the method posted on your tutorial 3 times, and all of those attempts resulted in my computer no longer booting into mac os. I used this guide intended for the 2009 mac pro (
) and it works, but the NVMe is only recognized as external. Is there any way I can get the drive to be recognized as internal? As far as the sleep/wake thing, I patched my bios so I have no idea.

Other than that, your guide has been really easy to follow! Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

I managed to get everything working properly on my build (x99 deluxe ii, 6800k, 1070) except my Samsung 950 EVO SSD and sleep/wake. I used the method posted on your tutorial 3 times, and all of those attempts resulted in my computer no longer booting into mac os. I used this guide intended for the 2009 mac pro (
) and it works, but the NVMe is only recognized as external. Is there any way I can get the drive to be recognized as internal? As far as the sleep/wake thing, I patched my bios so I have no idea.

My build is also X99 Deluxe II, and I can confirm my 960 evo works. It was a bit tricky to set up. Sorry I can't be of much other help but I can say if you retrace your steps and try to follow exact directions it should work.
I never completed steps to achieve sleep / wake functions, so it's boot up / down every session for me until I dive back in to the setup process.

hello again,
i have two other small but iritating problems,
a) when i boot from my hackintosh disk the clover start dont has as preselected the hacintosh disk and dont have the 5 second count down for auto start, i dont know what i did because it was working fine and when i restarted it automaticaly boot the hac disk, is there any way to fix it and make it like before?
b) some times, like 1 in 10 (maybe less), the hackintosh fails to start up and stays on the leters at the start with a masage somethink like "could not alocate avaliable space" you know this problem? is it fixable?

Thank you

:!: Sleep/Wake Functionality: :!:

While already with one of the first versions of this guide, Sleep/Wake on the Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming, Gigabyte X99-SOC-Force and Gigabyte X99-SLI has been achieved OoB (thanks to @hooked and @erlipton05 for their valuable feedback and inputs), Sleep/Wake functionally now can also be achieved on the ASUS X99-A II (and supposedly on all other X99 ASUS mobos) thanks to a couple of additional patches.

For details see the Section "Sleep/Wake Functionality" of my macOS High Sierra 10.13 Desktop Guide, which also directly applies to macOS Sierra 10.12. Just note that in case of macOS Sierra 10.12, the repeatedly indicated path "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Others/" changes to "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12/".

Hi again @kpg i've a couple of doubts, i hope you can help me :headbang:. My motherboard it's an X99 Deluxe with an E5-2658 v3, perfectly working (most of).
I've done letter by letter (think so) what you say, but two things doesn't work: sleep/awake and onboard wifi+bt airport (original replaced)
I've done BIOS patch procedure, gone to "my macOS High Sierra 10.13 Desktop Guide" (not found info :think:), done ̶E̶I̶S̶T̶ XCPM implementation...but still not working sleep/awake functionality, did i missed something?
And the other one: I've replace the original onboard wifi+bt card (with apple airport) but just bt recognized by system, the question it's: do you know what can i do for enable it?

Thx for reading (and replying:thumbup:)!

EDIT: I was trying to say XCMP instead of EIST

Last edited:
Hi again @kpg i've a couple of doubts, i hope you can help me :headbang:. My motherboard it's an X99 Deluxe with an E5-2658 v3, perfectly working (most of).
I've done letter by letter (think so) what you say, but two things doesn't work: sleep/awake and onboard wifi+bt airport (original replaced)
I've done BIOS patch procedure, gone to "my macOS High Sierra 10.13 Desktop Guide" (not found info :think:), done EIST implementation...but still not working sleep/awake functionality, did i missed something?
And the other one: I've replace the original onboard wifi+bt card (with apple airport) but just bt recognized by system, the question it's: do you know what can i do for enable it?

Thx for reading (and replying:thumbup:)!

1.) Don't use EIST or PMDrvr.kext!
2.) How can somebody help you with BT/WIFI if you do not even mention model and brand..
3.) Sleep/wake and BT/WIFI issues might be related

Good luck,

KGP

Can you, or someone here, help me write in terminal the proper phrases way to install like in your post above,.."High Sierra.app"..to usb, and any help if anything needs to change to get it to install on same motherboard ,Sata sdd Adata type, Samsung, Corsair, or HD drive..if it needs be?...I do Have PCIe Sata card, and Mac Pro 2013 late, promise raid, and thunderbolt pcie bay, with sata card ports/SSD...And another Question, can I make the SSD Bootable instead of USB, or both if needs be (using the MAC directly for the SSD be made bootable if possible), to skip the USB bootable, and install again via moving the fixed SSD to the Asus x99 A II system...How would this be done in the proper way with Terminal syntexs?..As I am not versed in MAC Terminal lingo.

If I can do this with the Mac Pro setup on the same machine using that pcie bay/ SATA PCI card/ to external ssds)....How to tell Terminal to do it.."install High Sierra" commands, in the proper wording and slashes title file wording?...is also a option?, if it helps, I have options, or is it only by USB..?..seems USB for me is not working out...Did the bois flash hack..all the bios and , jumper move done...It just does not install sierra.app to the Sata ..for some strange reason...So, Perhaps High Sierra, ...And another way?...I just cannot get the right way to write it in terminal to install that...I also want to do the thunderbolt ex3 to the Asus x99 A II..But, baby steps for me..the newbee who know nothing...Sorry for that...But this machine could make my DAW Dream machine, if it works out stable.

Thanks and regards.

Honestly I don't understand what you are talking about.. Everything is described in my guide up to the most tiny detail..

NMVe external icon fix is also part of me guide lines..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back