Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody here had success with this guide and overclocking with a 6850k on a Gigabyte X99-SLI? I feel that I’ve followed everything to the letter, but when I try to boot with the system overclocked, the progress bar fails to start on boot.

Also seems that my CPU performance isn’t quite as high as expected, with Novabench reporting low scores in MacOS but much higher scored in W10.

I created a new thread and posted my EFI here - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/overclocking-issues.251652/

If anybody has any suggestions as of where I’m likely to be going wrong, I’d be very grateful!

Many thanks,
Dec

Hi guys.
Really perfect guide!
I have the same config (with Asus x99 Deluxe 2), and my issue is that my CPU won't overclock. Even disabling eist, my 6950x runs max at 3.7ghz (while BIOS is set at 4.2ghz as guide suggests).
Someone can help me please?
I'm using obviously the SSDT generated in this guide and the EFI folder. And obviously BIOS setting following the guide.
Let me know if you have any ideas, Thank you

Solved: Installing latest beta bios fixed the issue.

Now I have to fix the black screen issue after wake from sleep.

Last edited:
Hi @kgp, or anyone who can help me out.

I m in 10.12.6 (16G1212)
Asus X99 Deluxe II

I got everything working, iMessage, Bluetooth, sleep wake up, wifi, but not ethernet on the lower port of the mobo (the upper one work just fine)
Is there a way of making the lower one work as well ?
I have been looking around and trying things during months but I can't get it working.

Capture d’écran 2018-06-15 à 15.46.43.png

Am I missing a configuration in Clover ?

Thank you all

Anael

Last edited:
Hi @kgp, or anyone who can help me out.

I m in 10.12.6 (16G1212)
Asus X99 Deluxe II

I got everything working, iMessage, Bluetooth, sleep wake up, wifi, but not ethernet on the lower port of the mobo (the upper one work just fine)
Is there a way of making the lower one work as well ?
I have been looking around and trying things during months but I can't get it working.

View attachment 336186

Am I missing a configuration in Clover ?

Thank you all

Anael

What means the lower one? Please provide specifications.

What means the lower one? Please provide specifications.

Yes sorry, I forgot the Asus X99 A as only one ethernet port.
On the Deluxe II we got two ethernet port and the one in red below isn't detected but the green yes.
On Windows 10 both are working. My question was is there something specific to do in order to make them work both on Mac.

Since you don't have this double port, I m afraid you won't be able to help me. But if anyone here has the same motherboard and managed to make them work please share.
img_5005.jpg

thank you all

Yes sorry, I forgot the Asus X99 A as only one ethernet port.
On the Deluxe II we got two ethernet port and the one in red below isn't detected but the green yes.
On Windows 10 both are working. My question was is there something specific to do in order to make them work both on Mac.

Since you don't have this double port, I m afraid you won't be able to help me. But if anyone here has the same motherboard and managed to make them work please share.
View attachment 336193

thank you all

Please provide the chip specifications.

Please provide the chip specifications.

Is that what you are talking about ?

Intel® I218V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)

Intel® I211-AT, 1 x Gigabit LAN

Is that what you are talking about ?

Intel® I218V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)

Intel® I211-AT, 1 x Gigabit LAN

Exactly.. for the I211-AT download and use the Small-Tree.kext attached to my iMac Pro X299 10.13 thread. I guess it should also work in your case.

Good luck,

KGP

Exactly.. for the I211-AT download and use the Small-Tree.kext attached to my iMac Pro X299 10.13 thread. I guess it should also work in your case.

Good luck,

KGP

Thanks, that's Successful !

It works like a charm, I have learned something today.

You are the best @kgp truely helping this community.

Whoever build this configuration with Asus Deluxe II add this kext in order to have your two ethernet socket working:
SmallTree-Intel-211-AT-PCIe-GBE.kext

Reactions: kgp
Hi @kgp!
I've had over 6 months of successful use of Logic X with your build! No crashes while running heavy Logic sessions.

However, I've have a new crash problem. Perhaps you can point in me in the right direction for a fix?
(please see attached crash logs).

- I'm having some random reboots, where upon reboot Mac OS fails to load. (crashes during OS Sierra loading, with error readout). Sometimes it just goes to black screen after the apple loading, no readout.
- Also having freezes / hangs while typing into this thread using firefox. So instead of complete crash, entire system is frozen.

I have NOT changed any settings nor done any updates since my initial setup.

I must admit my RAM choice is not from the 'Qualified Vendors List' - my RAM is same brand and specs as instructed but I ran the risk of trying this model which is not on the list: G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-32GTZA
Do you suspect this RAM is the issue? Or maybe a faulty RAM?

So far I am able to successfully boot via my SATA clone drive. Can you suggest any way to verify if there's an issue with the kext for using M.2 SSD?

Lastly, I have not implemented sleep / wake functions - not sure if that effects stability.
The only bug I've had prior to this onset of crashing / reboots is that if I walk away from the machine for a while, when I come back and use the mouse, the GUI lags, finder windows and dock icons responds slow, but after moving things around for 20 seconds it all catches up to normal speed.

Thanks again. -J

X99 Deluxe II
Intel i7 6850k
Samsung 960 EVO
Gigabyte 1060 6GB
G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-32GTZA
Thunderbolt EX 3 Card (functional)
Firewire 800 pci card

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 5.13.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 5.34.17 PM.png
fullsizeoutput_89.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_87.jpeg