Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you kip!
I have been using Asus X99 boards (Deluxe II, A II and Deluxe) with the 6950X and had managed to get Yosemite and El Cap installed using a variety of frustrating methods.
Yesterday I tried your method (TO THE 'T') and both my machines and four SSDs were up and running, all bootable (4), Nvidia GTX960s using nvidia drivers.
I am sorry to say but this was the most successful if not boring(!) installations I have ever done in the four years of hacking.
An amazing guide that works flawlessly, so my hat is off to you kip.

:D Happy to hear that Bradish! :D Thanks for the flowers :thumbup::wave:! All the best, KGP ;)

Yea the sleep/wake issue is common among all Hackintoshes

That's not entirely true. Sleep/wake work fine on many hackintoshes. You just need use supported CPUs.

6800k with x99 a ii. Randomly crashes. Followed the Bios settings to the T. On sierra 12.2. sometimes it restarts/crashes at the login screen after password is entered, sometimes it crashes randomly after a little while (like 10-20 minutes of use). the only thing different is that I am on an older GTX card with "inject" rather than web drivers and nvda_drv=1 command.

That's not entirely true. Sleep/wake work fine on many hackintoshes. You just need use supported CPUs.

O.K. so is there any CPU supporting Sleep/Wake on X99/LGA2011-v3?

O.K. so is there any CPU supporting Sleep/Wake on X99/LGA2011-v3?

Does Apple use any X99/LGA2011-v3 in any of their systems?

6800k with x99 a ii. Randomly crashes. Followed the Bios settings to the T. On sierra 12.2. sometimes it restarts/crashes at the login screen after password is entered, sometimes it crashes randomly after a little while (like 10-20 minutes of use). the only thing different is that I am on an older GTX card with "inject" rather than web drivers and nvda_drv=1 command.

Please! Carefully read my BIOS configuration guide and apply all settings as listed! If you properly configure your Mainboard BIOS you will not face any reboot! :thumbup:

Last edited:
@kgp: First of all, kudos to you for your great build and post!

Okay, my comments might not be relevant, given that I am still on El Cap, but I have built a system based on Giacomoleopardo's guide and I did have an occasional hard lockup. As I have an almost identical hardware build to his, I was curious about what was the cause.

Thoughts about crashing: one thing I did was upgrade the bios to version 1401. The next thing I did was start using an external usb audio source (probably not the issue, but I was experiencing some audio skipping, which has not happened since I went to usb). I also don't use Thunderbolt or USB 3.1. I've experienced absolutely no issues since then (a couple of weeks, with extensive use of the system - almost every day, 8 hours a day). I also, in the bios, turn off usb ports I don't use. This is my alternative to setting up an usb dsdt and using uia exclude in clover. I have no more enabled ports, usb 3 and usb 2 than the 15 port limit.

Failure to boot an install disk: some times failure to boot an install usb depends often on which usb port you choose to try and boot with. Those who are having trouble should read the guide carefully, and make sure they have followed the instructions (its easy to miss something - it's happened to me), and make sure they use a usb 2.0 port, like the one under the ethernet port. Why? Tonymacx86 can answer that better than I can, but this is something that has caught me more than once - I just forget to remember that this can often affect whether you can boot your install disk or not. One time, despite a decent amount of experience, installing many times, I forgot to create the install usb disk as UEFI bootable. Folks, this can happen to anyone, just retrace your steps and make sure you've got it right.

As for the compromises you make building an X99 Hackintosh versus buying a new Mac Pro (the design of which is almost four years old!): 1. Wake/sleep just doesn't work on an X99 cpu/build. This has been mentioned in numerous posts. If ever Apple supports X99, that may change. It also may change if someone brilliant comes up with a work-around. To the best of my knowledge, that hasn't happened yet. 2. Slow boot - the 20 second delay is really necessary. I think some folks just skip this, and that will also cause a boot failure. Those bios settings are critical, not only in the bios but in Clover. My system still boots faster than a real Mac Pro, even with the 20 second timeout. 3. Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is a pain in the a**, but if you use your system as a DAW, it's required, I get that. I don't need it, but if you do, I would only setup my system board and cards exactly as Giacomoleopardo's guide has stated and use only the card he used, which is an Asus Thunderbolt II card, not a Thunderbolt 3 card. I tried the Thunderbolt 3 card and it didn't work. That may be my fault, but the signature build for this motherboard and cpu was a Thunderbolt 2 card.

There just are some compromises that are unavoidable with a Hackintosh, but in my view they are minor. Folks like Giocomoleopardo and KGP should be lauded for posting!

I'm working on upgrading my El Cap build to Sierra and @kgp I very much (!) appreciate your post!! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: kgp
You my friend, are a lifesaver!!! I have had my hardware & been working on & off on trying to get a good solid & stable build for about a year now (initially started under OSX 10.10.x). I did exactly as you instructed, including the BIOS settings. While there were a couple hiccups during the installation (some reboots that I wasn't expecting that sort of gave me a quick scare), my system is now up & running, and it appears to be working pretty well.

My biggest problem was the whole OsxAptioFixDrv drama. In previous attempts using other methods, I'd be OK with just the GPU, but the minute I added another card, things went to pieces. Tried all combinations of OsxAptioFixDrv2, plus the other options with Test2_2016, OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi, etc. etc. The system was very unstable & frequently would take me 3 or 4 attempts to boot up.

Note that I **did** have to add Test2-2016.efi to my build. Your instructions PLUS adding that is the magic formula for me in my case:
ASUS X99-DELUXE (1st gen)
i7 5930x
EVGA GTX 970
16GB Ripjaw
ThunderboltIIEX-Dual card

TB is working great - I have my OWC Thunderbolt 2 docking station hooked up to it, and listening to audio via the device's on-board USB audio (BTW, mobo onboard audio working ok with VooDooHDA kext). I've also connected a USB3 drive to the dock & works. I have a couple other TB devices that I will test further.

Things I still need to check/test: USB3 really runs at USB3 speed.

Wish list: a little overclocking to improve performance. I see a lot of folks with their X99 builds & successfully OC'ing to 4.3 GHz. When I had my build running (sort of) before under 10.10.x, the OC was working & I was getting some good GeekBench speeds. If anyone has any tips on how to take this build & do a little OC, I'm all ears.

Once again, MANY MANY thanks!!!
--B

Last edited:
Reactions: kgp
Hello, I have the Asus X99-A board and would like to install Sierra onto a fresh SSD drive. The problem is I have an XFX Radeon R9 280X card and Im wondering if I can make it work? If not I have a Geforce 740 FTW 1gb card that has worked on a previous build. My chip is the Intel 5820k. Also why not Tony MacX86 installation method? Does this Clover method work better?

Hello, I have the Asus X99-A board and would like to install Sierra onto a fresh SSD drive. The problem is I have an XFX Radeon R9 280X card and Im wondering if I can make it work? If not I have a Geforce 740 FTW 1gb card that has worked on a previous build. My chip is the Intel 5820k. Also why not Tony MacX86 installation method? Does this Clover method work better?

If you want to install Sierra on your system, I recommend you to follow my guide. The Geforce 740 FTW shall work without problem. However, concerning your XFX Radeaon R9 280X you will have to collect information elsewhere in related posts. If your Intel 5820k is compatible with your Asus X99-A board, everything shall be fine. What do you mean by Tony MacX86 installation method? You refer to UNIBEAST? An installation by means of UNIBEAST will not work, however you are of course free to use and try it. I also do not understand what you mean by: "Does this Clover method works better?". Anyway, Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back