Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it working Pmdrvr.kext for you ? i have similar build 6900k and x99 a II and i have random reboots

Hi cristibest,
did you check whether you need pmdrv.kext at all? I´ve got a similar system and I was surprised, that I can enable EIST in Bios without pmdrv.kext. I´ve no idea whether it is implemented in Clover or what else is going on.

EIST gives me a lot of additional steps, nice to have. No negative issues so far.

Hi cristibest,
did you check whether you need pmdrv.kext at all? I´ve got a similar system and I was surprised, that I can enable EIST in Bios without pmdrv.kext. I´ve no idea whether it is implemented in Clover or what else is going on.

EIST gives me a lot of additional steps, nice to have. No negative issues so far.

EIST without PMDrvr will provide nice idle frequencies bit will severely affect and lower max. load frequencies...

IST without PMDrvr will provide nice idle frequencies bit will severely affect and lower max. load frequencies...

Nö.
Not true in my case. Quite the opposite: pmdrv.kext reduces CL and Metal performance

benches.jpg

(Geekbench 4.2)

Also in work no loss in performance. I was only astonished that I can use EIST without any kext or other setting. I could never before boot with EIST enabled.

Nö.
Not true in my case. Quite the opposite: pmdrv.kext reduces CL and Metal performance

View attachment 297355
(Geekbench 4.2)

Also in work no loss in performance. I was only astonished that I can use EIST without any kext or other setting. I could never before boot with EIST enabled.

I never tried to use EIST under 10.13. My experience with EIST under 10.12.6 was as described. It clearly diminished max.load frequencies without the use of PMDrvr by however clearly improving the IDLE frequencies. It might well be that this behaviour changed under 10.13. Let's see if other users can confirm your most recent observations.

You are kindly invited to proof your recent assumptions and questionable conclusions:

Please provide an Intel Power Gadget snapshot with CPU idle and max. load frequencies during and between several manually launched Cinebench sessions as implemented in my guide, with and without EIST and with and without PMDrvr.

I would not see any reason why XCPM or your CPU should influence your GPU CL or Metal performance! The latter should be totally decoupled from your CPU and only be GPU depended!

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
Guide and EFI-Folder update in originating post of this thread!

EFI-Folder related changes:
  • Implementation of most actual clover boot loader distribution Clover_v2.4k_r4318
  • Adding DSDT patches H_EC -> EC__ and IDER->MEID to config.plist in Clover Configurator Section "ACPI"
  • Adding boot flags "darkwake=1" and "nv_spanmodepolicy=1" for improved sleep/wake functionality. Note that "nv_spanmodepolicy=1" is NVIDIA only and can be unchecked by ATI graphics cards users.
  • Adding boot flags "debug=0x100" and "keepsyms=1" to clearly get kernel panic images with a call trace in case of kernel panics
  • Removing boot flags "slide=0" and "dart=0"
  • Adding Lilu.kext v1.2.1, AppleALC.kext v1.2.1, CodecCommander.kext v2.6.3, FakeSMC.kext v6.26-322-g1b20eab7.1765, FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext v6.26-322-g1b20eab7.1765, FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext v6.26-322-g1b20eab7.1765, FakeSMC-LPCSensors.kext v6.26-322-g1b20eab7.1765 and IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.3.0 to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/
New EFI -Folder attached at the bottom of the originating post/guide and here below.

Guide Related Modifications:

Further improvements/modifications in new section E.9) ASUS X99-A II PCI Device Implementation - Sleep/Wake functionality. Especially note the changes in E.9.1.b.) and E.9.1.c). However, I guess it might be recommended to revise entire section E.9) in any case.

Implementation of actual links for Lilu.kext v1.2.1, AppleALC.kext v1.2.1, Nividiagraphicsfixup.kext v1.2.1 and Whatevergreen.kext v1.1.3. New HWMonitor.app attached.

Enjoy and have fun :thumbup:

kgp.png

Attachments

• EFI-X99-10.13.1-Release-051217.zip
    17.5 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Guide and EFI-Folder update in originating post of this thread!

EFI-Folder related changes:
  • Implementation of most actual clover boot loader distribution Clover_v2.4k_r4318
  • Adding DSDT patches H_EC -> EC__ and IDER->MEID to config.plist in Clover Configurator Section "ACPI"
  • Adding boot flags "darkwake=1" and "nv_spanmodepolicy=1" for improved sleep/wake functionality. Note that "nv_spanmodepolicy=1" is NVIDIA only and can be unchecked by ATI graphics cards users.
  • Adding boot flags "debug=0x100" and "keepsyms=1" to clearly get kernel panic images with a call trace in case of kernel panics
  • Removing boot flags "slide=0" and "dart=0"
  • Adding Lilu.kext v1.2.1, AppleALC.kext v1.2.1, CodecCommander.kext v2.6.3, FakeSMC.kext v6.26-322-g1b20eab7.1765, FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext v6.26-322-g1b20eab7.1765, FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext v6.26-322-g1b20eab7.1765, FakeSMC-LPCSensors.kext v6.26-322-g1b20eab7.1765 and IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.3.0 to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/
New EFI -Folder attached at the bottom of the originating post/guide and here below.

Guide Related Modifications:

Further improvements/modifications in new section E.9) ASUS X99-A II PCI Device Implementation - Sleep/Wake functionality. Especially note the changes in E.9.1.b.) and E.9.1.c). However, I guess it might be recommended to revise entire section E.9) in any case.

Implementation of actual links for Lilu.kext v1.2.1, AppleALC.kext v1.2.1, Nividiagraphicsfixup.kext v1.2.1 and Whatevergreen.kext v1.1.3. New HWMonitor.app attached.

Enjoy and have fun :thumbup:

View attachment 297415

I have one question.... in IOReg my Graphics Card Shows under GFX0...... not GFX1...... nor sure why and if this is a problem for the SSDT creation....

Any ideas?

Thanks, Michael

I have one question.... in IOReg my Graphics Card Shows under GFX0...... not GFX1...... nor sure why and if this is a problem for the SSDT creation....

Any ideas?

Thanks, Michael

Which SMBIOS do you use? iMac17,1? If so you you have to change GFX1 to GFX0 in the aml.

Which SMBIOS do you use? iMac17,1? If so you you have to change GFX1 to GFX0 in the aml.
Ahhhhhh I got it..... with the correct injection it worked.....!!!
I now have GFX and audio finally correctly injected with SSDT..... wow KGP..... your new guide is awesome....!!
I will keep going....

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back