Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

To summarize: All chipset ports work as configured/expected. ASM2142 SLT1 (backpanel) works as expected. ASM2142 SLT7 (19-pin header #13, and, I suppose, Key-A header #12) does not work at all.

No idea…
Any chance that SLT7 could be disabled in BIOS? Does it work under another OS (e.g. live Linux distro)?
What does Hackintool show when selecting SLT1 or SLT7 rather than XHCI?

Hackintool normally won't show the ASMedia USB ports.

Not unless you create a UTBMap.kext or USBMap.kext and boot the system with the alternative USB config in place.

HS01 & HS02 should both be set as Internal, as they are USB2 ports served from a motherboard USB2 header.

HS07 & HS08 should both be set as USB2, as they are physical USB2 ports (Black tang) on the rear I/O plate.

The active XHCI ports, maximum of 11 x ports if the 4 ports above are part of the USB configuration, should be set as USB3.

The 4 x SLT7 ports should be set as USB3.

The top 2 x SLT1 (002 & 004) ports should be set as USB3 (Type-A connector).

The bottom 2 x SLT1 (001 & 003) ports should be set as Type-c+sw (9).

To summarize: All chipset ports work as configured/expected. ASM2142 SLT1 (backpanel) works as expected. ASM2142 SLT7 (19-pin header #13, and, I suppose, Key-A header #12) does not work at all.

No idea…
Any chance that SLT7 could be disabled in BIOS? Does it work under another OS (e.g. live Linux distro)?

Well I downloaded the User Manual and checked the BIOS options. You are able to turn ports on or off but not complete controllers. Like you I am a bit baffled by this one. My suspicion is that the problem lies in the DSDT SSDT for USB configuration. I had a couple of ASRock motherboards a while back and their DSDTs were not coded in a logical way in places. Windows though, seems happy with them.

Normally, as @Edhawk hints at above, macOS should be able to operate ASM2142 controllers without configuration (as external PCI devices, basically). The fact that one is working and one is not, confuses me too.

Thanks for all your replies. I'll do some tests tomorrow
I'll made corrections @Edhawk suggest ....
With my USBMap.Kext it doesn't work ... with USBInjectAll.kext it works
No idea…
Any chance that SLT7 could be disabled in BIOS?
Nope .. like @UtterDisbelief mentioned it
Does it work under another OS (e.g. live Linux distro)?
It's MacOS only Computer
Nothing !!

It's MacOS only Computer
Fair enough. But a live distro of Linux on a USB thumb drive is an easy (and free) way to check hardware before attempting to run picky macOS on it.

With my USBMap.Kext it doesn't work ... with USBInjectAll.kext it works
So it is not disabled. How are the ASM controllers listed? (Hackintool>PCIe, or in IOReg)
I'm looking for a clue as to why one works and not the other.

Hackintool normally won't show the ASMedia USB ports.

Not unless you create a UTBMap.kext or USBMap.kext and boot the system with the alternative USB config in place.

HS01 & HS02 should both be set as Internal, as they are USB2 ports served from a motherboard USB2 header.

HS07 & HS08 should both be set as USB2, as they are physical USB2 ports (Black tang) on the rear I/O plate.

The active XHCI ports, maximum of 11 x ports if the 4 ports above are part of the USB configuration, should be set as USB3.
HS01
HS02
HS05
HS06
HS07
HS08
HS12
HS13
HS14
SS03
SS04
SS05
SS06

It's 13 ports ... so for me it was under 15 port limitation ... Am I wrong ?
The 4 x SLT7 ports should be set as USB3.

The top 2 x SLT1 (002 & 004) ports should be set as USB3 (Type-A connector).

The bottom 2 x SLT1 (001 & 003) ports should be set as Type-c+sw (9).
USBMap.kext I export from Hackintool has only XHCI ports and no SLT1&SLT7. How can I Include them

Thanks Again

Fair enough. But a live distro of Linux on a USB thumb drive is an easy (and free) way to check hardware before attempting to run picky macOS on it.
You are right
I'll Try
So it is not disabled. How are the ASM controllers listed? (Hackintool>PCIe, or in IOReg)
I'm looking for a clue as to why one works and not the other.
Capture d’écran 2023-10-24 à 09.16.03.png

Third and fourth lines

Thanks. So they are both visible as PC00.RP01.SLT1 and PC00.RP07.SLT7.
Now the questions are: How do they show up in IOReg, and what is the corresponding code in ACPI tables (DSDT and/or SSDT)?

Is this the second system in your signature?
AsRock X299 Fatality Gaming I9 | i9-7920X | RX 6800 XT
With this motherboard: Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9
and this CPU: Core i9-7920X ?
The manual does not provide a block diagram but the CPU has the maximum possible number of PCIe lanes (44), so it should be capable of feeding RP07. (I though I had a lead, with the complicated line-up of Core-X CPUs compared with Xeon W-2000. But it seems this leads to nowhere.)

Thanks. So they are both visible as PC00.RP01.SLT1 and PC00.RP07.SLT7.
Now the questions are: How do they show up in IOReg, and what is the corresponding code in ACPI tables (DSDT and/or SSDT)?
Here your are, sir !
Capture d’écran 2023-10-25 à 09.06.03.png

Is this the second system in your signature?
Yes
Yes
The manual does not provide a block diagram but the CPU has the maximum possible number of PCIe lanes (44), so it should be capable of feeding RP07. (I though I had a lead, with the complicated line-up of Core-X CPUs compared with Xeon W-2000. But it seems this leads to nowhere.)

Here the IOreg with My USBMAp.Kext

Capture d’écran 2023-10-25 à 09.10.47.png

All XHCU ports declared in USBMap.kext are present, but none of them work this morning !!
SLT7 ports don't work either
Only STLT1 ports works

Here your are, sir !
View attachment 573373

Yes

Yes

Here the IOreg with My USBMAp.Kext

View attachment 573374
All XHCU ports declared in USBMap.kext are present, but none of them work this morning !!
SLT7 ports don't work either
Only STLT1 ports works

Interesting.

The only difference is in the PCI config - SLT1 being (0x1C,0x0) and SLT7 being (0x1C,0x6).

I don't have your hardware to test with but I would probably try adding a DeviceProperties entry for the SLT7 USB controller.

I can only guess no other hardware device uses the same value and causes a conflict? (Backup in case it does).

No guarantees, but something worth testing perhaps?

:)

Back