Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

My screengrab shows my current state, which is still using my (possibly wonky) USBPorts.kext and with the quirk set to False. When I set out to re-map, I removed that USBPorts.kext, installed USBInjectAll.kext, and set the quirk to True. But that's when all my USB ports shut off after reboot.

If the same thing happens tonight with version 0.8.0 of USBInjectAll, I might see if I can login to my Hack using Remote Desktop from an old Mac and control the Hack's mouse that way, at least long enough for me to do a fresh map of the ports. I'd really like to get that new USB WiFi adapter to use an SS speed instead of the HS it's showing now.

Some people have reported that just using the XhciPortLimit Quirk alone with no InjectAll.kext has worked for them, so maybe worth a try.

However, remember the quirk ONLY works again since OpenCore 0.9.5.

Prior to this it only worked as far as Big Sur 11.3.

:)

Since we are asking questions here, I have an I9 12900HK Erying ITX Motherboard (this is a laptop Intel processor) that I have successfully installed Ventura and Windows 11 on, and upgraded it 13.6.1. I initially mapped USB's with USB Tool Box. But my map did not seem to be right so then went to USBmap corpnewt and that at least allowed me to see my ports in Hackintool. Ports would not show up at all in the latest Hackintool and I am using 0.9.5.
I will say I have Intel wifi (AX210, but am not depending on that, as I have hardwired 2.5 GB Realtek Ethernet.) The wifi and Bluetooth are functioning with the latest Intel Kexts although not being used. I also have SSDT-RHUB.aml installed but this is probably not necessary as this is not an Asus/MSI board.
The questions: What would prevent Hackintool from not displaying any port but showing the Alderlake controller at the top and even using the inject option at the bottom nothing would show although ports were working?
Could a missmapped USB array cause Sonoma NOT to upgrade and even going to the Apple store, the download would fully complete, but the upgrade failed, with the same result as using Apple's software update in Ventura?
I am using Restrictevents.kext
The message says: it cannot be installed on this machine check your internet. (I have a 1GB fiber connection on a 2.5 Gb hardwired ethernet port)
Last question: Combo HS01/SS01 companion ports should be labeled (3), not (0) for HS01, and (3) for SS01? Type E internal port if not switched should be labeled (10) even if not used. If the 20pin USB is connected to an internal PC case hub which splits the ports to two external USB 3.0 type A's and one external C (not a gen 2 and it does not flip) the original 20-pin on the board which is doing the delivery externla IO should have all port assignments be labeled (3) even the C? I have every function working even audio but I cannot upgrade this to Sonoma.
I am using a Soyo RX6600M GPU card with the boot arg agdpmod=pikera. (with HDMI delivery to my folding test monitor)
There are only a total of 16 ports showing when using USBTool box discovery in Windows 11. (Not the standard 26)
Screenshot_2023-10-26_092046.jpg

Screenshot_2023-10-26_092347.jpg
This pic does not have a Wi-Fi card in the slot.
This board feature callout pic is for the I7 version but the (I9 board has 3 NVme slots for M.2's Front C is a Type E
port) layout is the same just a different processor and controller chipset.
Screenshot_2023-10-26_092309.jpg

TOP VIEW OF LAZER3D CASE LZX-15 (WITH CLEAR PLEXI REMOVED) THAT MY BOARD IS INSTALLED IN:
You can see the front IO hub that splits the internal 20-pin with a separate cable to internal HD audio.
IMG_1343.JPG

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 1.15.22 PM.png

Last edited:
Some people have reported that just using the XhciPortLimit Quirk alone with no InjectAll.kext has worked for them, so maybe worth a try.

However, remember the quirk ONLY works again since OpenCore 0.9.5.

Prior to this it only worked as far as Big Sur 11.3.

:)
Success using version 0.8.0 of USBInjectAll.kext; this time around I was still able to use my wired mouse & keyboard to do the new mapping. Hackintool screengrab of result attached. Frustratingly, the USB WiFi adapter still refuses to operate on SS06, instead it switches to HS07 on that port, as shown. I have plugged other USB3 devices into that port and have gotten them to appear on SS06. So the problem may just be with the T3U adapter, but at least it's recognized and working. All else is good; thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 7.01.30 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 7.01.30 PM.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Be thankful at least you can get devices to show when you plug them in. On mine since the PC case is using a Asmedia hub for the front IO or the board itself is using this to combine port control, Hackintool will not show new device plug-ins. Only USBTool box, Usbmap and the Mas System USB info actually show new devices just plugged in and working. A newly plugged in device will not populate on any port in Hackintool. Disabled Rhub (really USB-reset) makes no difference. It will get pulled from ACPI. Still Sonoma upgrade failure.

I am going to update my wife's M1 Mac-mini to Sonoma, and I bet up it goes flawless. I do not want to update my work machine or any of my others to Sonoma as the all have working Broadcom cards, and I don't want to convert to AX210 cards on all of those machines for the sake of almost NO new features.

BTW, USBmap on Mac side and USBtoobox on Windows 11 side show the same total discovered ports 16. This is probably due to the Asmedia hub combining of separate ports similar to a 4 port Rear IO array, seen as one port number when mapping even though you are plugging new devices to check in differnt ports in that 4 port cluster. (I use a portable USB 2.0/3.1 4 port hub as my test device to check ports that may have companions so this cuts down time as both companions are populated at the same time on a normal board, obviously not this Erying Hybrid). [Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Ultra Slim Data Hub] this hub shows as a 2.0 and 3.1 device at the same time.

Last edited:
An Update to issue
After looking for during several hours it is wrong bios setting that is responsible.
CSM was enable in bios and it shouldn't.
I don't know how this setting has changed !! any idea ?

But there is still a minor issue
XHCI ports are now working but SLT1 are still not

I try to use USBToolBox 0.1.1 to create a UTBMap.Kext (attached)
it has all IOKitPersonalities :

Capture d’écran 2023-10-27 à 09.09.02.png

But with this kext, Ventura boots with black screen for several minutes and reboots (very unstable)
I copied the SLT1 & SLT7 Children in My USBMap.Kext
Again same black screen for several minutes and reboots (very unstable)
Any Ideas ?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• UTBMap.kext.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 11
Success using version 0.8.0 of USBInjectAll.kext; this time around I was still able to use my wired mouse & keyboard to do the new mapping. Hackintool screengrab of result attached.
You have 16 x USB ports shown in the Hackintool screenshot under the XHCI USB controller. There should be a maximum of 15 x ports to stay within macOS port limit.

This means that SS08 USB3 port won't be activated, as macOS will only activate the first 15 x ports on the XHCI controller.

If you can live without the last USB3 port then that is fine. If you need the port and device attached, you will need to remove one of the other ports (one of HS14, SS02 or SS06 being the most logical to remove) from the kext to be able to use SS08.

The XHC3 ports are not affected by this issue, as they are on a separate controller with their own 15 port limit.

Here are a few screenshots taken from the motherboard manual, specifically related to the USB ports. Does your USB configuration match the details shown?

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 13.58.15.png Rear panel connectors.
Table shows port numbers associated with each port, i.e. Item 8 (Port 7), would be HS07 & SS07, item 10 (port 8) would be HS08 & SS08 etc.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 14.00.04.png Type-C motherboard header

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 13.59.50.png 2 x USB3 motherboard headers

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 13.59.36.png 2 x USB2 motherboard headers.

You have 16 x USB ports shown in the Hackintool screenshot under the XHCI USB controller. There should be a maximum of 15 x ports to stay within macOS port limit.

This means that SS08 USB3 port won't be activated, as macOS will only activate the first 15 x ports on the XHCI controller.

If you can live without the last USB3 port then that is fine. If you need the port and device attached, you will need to remove one of the other ports (one of HS14, SS02 or SS06 being the most logical to remove) from the kext to be able to use SS08.

The XHC3 ports are not affected by this issue, as they are on a separate controller with their own 15 port limit.

Here are a few screenshots taken from the motherboard manual, specifically related to the USB ports. Does your USB configuration match the details shown?

View attachment 573481 Rear panel connectors.
Table shows port numbers associated with each port, i.e. Item 8 (Port 7), would be HS07 & SS07, item 10 (port 8) would be HS08 & SS08 etc.

View attachment 573484 Type-C motherboard header

View attachment 573483 2 x USB3 motherboard headers

View attachment 573482 2 x USB2 motherboard headers.
Yes, thank you, those pictures exactly match my motherboard.

I did attempt to eliminate HS14 but as you note, it's still appearing in Hackintool although not highlighted in green. I wasn't sure what that signified. (SS01 is also not highlighted, though I only eliminated it from the XHCI ports, not the XHC3 ports).

I'm attaching my USBPorts.kext if you wouldn't mind glancing thru, it I'd appreciate it. SS02 I'd like to keep for possible future use. SS06 is where the my T3U WiFi adapter currently is plugged in... as I said, that adapter only shows up on HS07 (same physical port) so I guess I could sacrifice SS06 if HS14 can't disappear.

Attachments

• USBports.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Since we are asking questions here, I have an I9 12900HK Erying ITX Motherboard (this is a laptop Intel processor) that I have successfully installed Ventura and Windows 11 on, and upgraded it 13.6.1. I initially mapped USB's with USB Tool Box. But my map did not seem to be right so then went to USBmap corpnewt and that at least allowed me to see my ports in Hackintool. Ports would not show up at all in the latest Hackintool and I am using 0.9.5.
I will say I have Intel wifi (AX210, but am not depending on that, as I have hardwired 2.5 GB Realtek Ethernet.) The wifi and Bluetooth are functioning with the latest Intel Kexts although not being used. I also have SSDT-RHUB.aml installed but this is probably not necessary as this is not an Asus/MSI board.
The questions: What would prevent Hackintool from not displaying any port but showing the Alderlake controller at the top and even using the inject option at the bottom nothing would show although ports were working?
Could a missmapped USB array cause Sonoma NOT to upgrade and even going to the Apple store, the download would fully complete, but the upgrade failed, with the same result as using Apple's software update in Ventura?
I am using Restrictevents.kext
The message says: it cannot be installed on this machine check your internet. (I have a 1GB fiber connection on a 2.5 Gb hardwired ethernet port)
Last question: Combo HS01/SS01 companion ports should be labeled (3), not (0) for HS01, and (3) for SS01? Type E internal port if not switched should be labeled (10) even if not used. If the 20pin USB is connected to an internal PC case hub which splits the ports to two external USB 3.0 type A's and one external C (not a gen 2 and it does not flip) the original 20-pin on the board which is doing the delivery external IO should have all port assignments be labeled (3) even the C? I have every function working even audio but I cannot upgrade this to Sonoma.
I am using a Soyo RX6600M GPU card with the boot arg agdpmod=pikera. (with HDMI delivery to my folding test monitor)
There are only a total of 16 ports showing when using USBTool box discovery in Windows 11. (Not the standard 26)

View attachment 573454
Since, no one wanted to answer my questions, I seem to have determined the answers myself:
Hackintool will not display if USB ports are not mapped properly with a proper tool to do so, and the Asmedia hub built into may Lazer3D case does NOT show separate devices newly plugged in, as it not he parent 20pin delivering the info to Hackintool without this Asmedia hub in the mix.
My upgrade to Sonoma was prevented due to the BlueToolFixup.kext not being disabled in my Config.plist for the purposes of upgrading. (There is a Known conflict when this Intel Wifi kext is enabled for installations of Sonoma)
Further, a boot argument addition is need for Restrictevents to allow the upgrade: revpatch=sbvmm
Once these two changes were initiated, Sonoma 14.1 upgrade completed. (The arg can then be removed and the BlueToolFixup.kext reaenabled, but the Airportltlwm.kext for Ventura must be upgraded to the Sonoma version for the Intel AX210 wifi card to work again properly. (Note: All Intel kexts must be the latest versions and In proper order after AppleAlc.
Lastely: my USB port Type structure noted above is the correct, at least for this motherboard.

@buddyjack2 you may need to use the ResetNvramEntry.efi driver from the OpenCore boot screen, to remove any obsolete USB ports from your setup.

The USBPorts.kext looks fine, with only 15 x ports on the XHCI controller.

You might be missing 2 x virtual USB2 ports from the XHC3 controller, HS01 and HS02. But if you are not planning to use any USB2 devices through the Thunderbolt ports then that is fine too.

An Update to issue
After looking for during several hours it is wrong bios setting that is responsible.
CSM was enable in bios and it shouldn't.
I don't know how this setting has changed !! any idea ?

But there is still a minor issue
XHCI ports are now working but SLT1 are still not

I try to use USBToolBox 0.1.1 to create a UTBMap.Kext (attached)
it has all IOKitPersonalities :

View attachment 573472
But with this kext, Ventura boots with black screen for several minutes and reboots (very unstable)
I copied the SLT1 & SLT7 Children in My USBMap.Kext
Again same black screen for several minutes and reboots (very unstable)
Any Ideas ?
Thanks in advance
@Edhawk Is there a proper way to add SLT1 & SLT7 to my USBMap.Kext ?

Back