Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Thanks for your reply. I have no issue with the WiFi, but BT is horrible. I will follow the guide you mentioned. I can get a wireless mouse keyboard combi. But Magic Mouse's gestures are really useful, and I dont want to give it up.

I know. My intention is to help that Bluetooth signal.

1) 2.4GHz radio interferes with Bluetooth.

2) The aerial puts signal closer to mouse and keyboard.

I know. My intention is to help that Bluetooth signal.

1) 2.4GHz radio interferes with Bluetooth.

2) The aerial puts signal closer to mouse and keyboard.
A quick update. I solved it by turning the case upside down. I cant believe this makes such a difference.I will get extension cables ASAP

Attachments

• IMG_20201225_090337.jpg
    IMG_20201225_090337.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
Dell 7020 MT with Core i5-4590 at Newegg

These have Win 10 Pro installed and 8GB of ram. Add a low cost 240GB Sata SSD and you've got all you need to get started with Catalina or Big Sur.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-0001-5HFR5

So if you need to spend some money before the year's end for tax purposes, invest in a few of these.
You already know about the upgrade options if you have read the OP. The seller is MS registered so it should be refurbished the right way. They have a 100% seller rating. They mainly sell refurbished servers on newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/Seller-Store/MKTLLC

1609083560572.png

Last edited:
Forgive me if this is an obvious question- but is there a way to get DRM content working?

EG Netflix doesn't work.

Good point- I presumed Safari & chrome were the same. Seems like Chrome works tho
Apple makes Safari. Google makes Chrome and MS bases the Edge Browser on Chromium. So technically speaking Chrome and Edge are the same "under the hood."
The new Microsoft Edge is based on Chromium and was released on January 15, 2020. It is compatible with all supported versions of Windows, and macOS. With speed, performance, best in class compatibility for websites and extensions, and built-in privacy and security features, it's the only browser you'll ever need.

Dell 7020 MT with Core i5-4590 at Newegg

These have Win 10 Pro installed and 8GB of ram. Add a low cost 240GB Sata SSD and you've got all you need to get started with Catalina or Big Sur.
Here's an even better deal at Newegg right now. For those that prefer the SFF chassis. The SSD comes pre-installed and you get the 200MHz faster i5-4690 CPU. All at a lower price. 2 year warranty included and free shipping.

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-7020-student-home-office/p/1VK-0001-5AKV3

Screen Shot 3.jpg

So, my 9020 has been running super smoothly and I'm keen to upgrade something to make things a bit snappier/faster.

What do people recommend as a more worthwhile upgrade?

Extra 4GB RAM (currently have 12GB) or upgrade to SSD (currently on 7200RPM 1TB drive)

Extra 4GB RAM (currently have 12GB) or upgrade to SSD (currently on 7200RPM 1TB drive)
If you have 12GB of RAM now, the SSD upgrade is by far the most important. You'll see and feel the snappiness. RAM upgrade to 16GB won't do much of anything unless you're currently using more than 12 right now.

The APFS file system used by macOS now, really causes lag and slow boot ups. High Sierra was the last version that still let you use HFS+ on mechanical hard drives. Even then things were fairly slow.

Last edited:
Back