Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Is there a device or dongle that can do both WIFI & BT? Or is it best to buy separately? I don't seem to find any good links for compatible BT devices....
Yes, the Fenvi HB-1200 card works OOB. You can install it in your SFF Optiplex as it fits in LP cases. Everything including Handoff and Continuity should work. The one drawback in the SFF version is that there is no USB 2.0 header on the board. You'll need to use an external USB port to get the BT to work. Others have done this with success.

I don't seem to find any good links for compatible BT devices....
When you click on the spoiler in the components section at the beginning of post #1 of this thread you'll see all of the natively supported Wifi and BT suggestions there. The FV-T919 won't fit in the SFF 9020s because it's full height only, therefore the FV-HB1200 is the better choice for you.

Screen Shot 36.jpg

Applied the suggested (vit9696 commented on 16 Oct 2019) patch through clover config and this fixed the issue.
Is this the kernel patch you applied ? HDMI audio still works too ? Interesting to learn that this long standing "wake from sleep issue" was caused by Apple from the beginning. To quote vit9696 "They did not add an argument to release kernels and enforced the kernel panic."

Thanks for the post. Mystery now solved. :thumbup:

Screen Shot 37.jpg

Last edited:
thanks to this awesome guide, and I think it should be included in the main posts, this should be a problem with AppleAlc.kext and the audio.
I've added this info to the end of the Catalina mini-guide. It doesn't seem to be a problem when using OpenCore and Big Sur on these Dell Haswell desktops. My RX 570 wakes from sleep without any delay or graphical issues. I've only done a small amount of testing with OC and Big Sur, though.

Last edited:
Wait- is it ok to upgrade this to BigSur? Or is it still to be determined?

the FV-HB1200 is the better choice for you.
Is there a list somewhere of support Bluetooth devices? FV-HB1200 is a little pricey....

Wait- is it ok to upgrade this to BigSur? Or is it still to be determined?
I would wait till at least the 11.3 update. By then the major bugs will be worked out.
Is there a list somewhere of support Bluetooth devices?
The Wifi/BT cards are recommended because you get the best range and performance. You can spend 10-15 dollars on a USB dongle with a Broadcom chipset but they don't perform great. So it's up to you. Spend a little and get mediocre performance or invest a little more to get the best performance. If all you need is to connect a mouse/keyboard you can get by with a dongle but your SFF should be very close to the mouse, not over 4-5 feet. If you want to use BT headphones, a dongle is not a good choice for that.

Here's one that works up through Catalina. Not sure about Big Sur as I've not tested it yet.

Iogear GBU521 Bluetooth 4.0 - Broadcom 20702A3

Some have used this with success too:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ83070/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Hi everybody, my BT card's range has become almost unusable. It has never been great but now it is much worse.Unless I keep them a foot away neither magic mouse or keyboard works. Any ideas?
I wish you all great festive seasons

Hi everybody, my BT card's range has become almost unusable. It has never been great but now it is much worse.Unless I keep them a foot away neither magic mouse or keyboard works. Any ideas?
I wish you all great festive seasons

Hi there.

Two things:

1) Ensure you use 5GHz wi-fi instead of 2.4GHz if you can.

2) See this mini guide -

Thanks for your reply. I have no issue with the WiFi, but BT is horrible. I will follow the guide you mentioned. I can get a wireless mouse keyboard combi. But Magic Mouse's gestures are really useful, and I dont want to give it up.

Back