Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

I'm planning on using BCM94360CS2 card. What then? Can I put the WiFi/BT card in a PCIe x16 (wired as x4) slot with no worries?
As long as you are using the USB-SSDT and connect the card to the USB 2.0 header with the included cable, the Wifi and BT of this card will work through the x16 (wired x4) slot. The Sapphire RX 580 should work. I use a 570 and have no problems with it. I don't use if for intensive gaming so I haven't had cooling issues. You could put a 90mm fan in the front of the case to pull air in from the front. Possibly connect the fan up to a molex connector and run it full speed when gaming. Unplug it when not needed.

Amazing guide! I followed it verbatim and had a perfect hack with onboard graphics. Specs: 9020MT, i5 4570, 8GB RAM, A20 BIOS, Dell 2408WFP 1920x1200 on DisplayPort, Mojave on a spinning SATA disk. I had to keep the "Enable Legacy Option ROMs" ticked in the BIOS to get Sleep working though. All other BIOS settings as per the Post#1. I used iMac14,2 and it was beautiful !!! I updated to 10.14.6 with this setup as well.

Then I got greedy :mrgreen: and got myself a Saphire Pulse R570 4GB card based on the recommendations later on in this thread. Same monitor hooked up to DisplayPort farthest from the motherboard. Amazing OpenCL and Geekbench scores! But unfortunately, Sleep doesn't work anymore :(

Summary of all attempts with R570:

1. "Enable Legacy Option ROMs" ticked (basically my old onboard GPU setup + R570): Some Video corruption with what looks like fine noise during Clover screen and a scattering of noisy pixels in the Desktop. Goes to sleep. Wakes up but I see just a small rectangle (about 640x480) in the middle of the screen with part of the background and cursor is movable. Moving the DP cable to onboard DP port now, gives me a fully functional Desktop but "Displays" says its using Built-in display (naturally).

2. "Enable Legacy Option ROMs" un-ticked: No video corruption. Goes to sleep. Wake caused instant reboot. Found in other threads that we have to remove /L/Preferences/com.Apple.PowerManagement* files. After this, Wake causes what looks like a hang. No display. Caps-Lock/Num-Lock lets don't light up. Have to power-cycle the PSU or hold the power-button to restart.

3. Tried several changes with #2 above. darkwake=no, iMac15,1, ig-platform-id for headless (all with different config_x.plist [Great Suggestion btw]) but no use. Sleep behaves the same: Goes to sleep nicely. Wake is a hard-hang/crash and I have to power-cycle the PSU.

I am out of ideas now. Any pointers or tips for me to try? Other than the CPU (i5 vs i7) and Bios version (A20) my 9020MT setup appears to be identical to what many of you use. So, Hopeful...

Amazing guide! I followed it verbatim and had a perfect hack with onboard graphics. Specs: 9020MT, i5 4570, 8GB RAM, A20 BIOS, Dell 2408WFP 1920x1200 on DisplayPort, Mojave on a spinning SATA disk. I had to keep the "Enable Legacy Option ROMs" ticked in the BIOS to get Sleep working though. All other BIOS settings as per the Post#1. I used iMac14,2 and it was beautiful !!! I updated to 10.14.6 with this setup as well.

Then I got greedy :mrgreen: and got myself a Saphire Pulse R570 4GB card based on the recommendations later on in this thread. Same monitor hooked up to DisplayPort farthest from the motherboard. Amazing OpenCL and Geekbench scores! But unfortunately, Sleep doesn't work anymore :(

Summary of all attempts with R570:

1. "Enable Legacy Option ROMs" ticked (basically my old onboard GPU setup + R570): Some Video corruption with what looks like fine noise during Clover screen and a scattering of noisy pixels in the Desktop. Goes to sleep. Wakes up but I see just a small rectangle (about 640x480) in the middle of the screen with part of the background and cursor is movable. Moving the DP cable to onboard DP port now, gives me a fully functional Desktop but "Displays" says its using Built-in display (naturally).

2. "Enable Legacy Option ROMs" un-ticked: No video corruption. Goes to sleep. Wake caused instant reboot. Found in other threads that we have to remove /L/Preferences/com.Apple.PowerManagement* files. After this, Wake causes what looks like a hang. No display. Caps-Lock/Num-Lock lets don't light up. Have to power-cycle the PSU or hold the power-button to restart.

3. Tried several changes with #2 above. darkwake=no, iMac15,1, ig-platform-id for headless (all with different config_x.plist [Great Suggestion btw]) but no use. Sleep behaves the same: Goes to sleep nicely. Wake is a hard-hang/crash and I have to power-cycle the PSU.

I am out of ideas now. Any pointers or tips for me to try? Other than the CPU (i5 vs i7) and Bios version (A20) my 9020MT setup appears to be identical to what many of you use. So, Hopeful...
I am glad to hear that you managed to Hackintosh it.
Related to sleep/wake issues; did you update Mojave to the latest version? Mojave had had issues with wake but latest update seems that sorted it. Also one of the previous post give some instructions how to avoid it.

Hi Daneland... I have the latest supplemental update installed 10.14.6 (18G87). All my observations are with this update installed. Thanks.

I have the latest supplemental update
You might try the latest lilu/whatevergreen/apple ALC's too (but avoid upgrading Clover without first reading up about the new folder structure).

Tried latest Lilu + WEG but still no joy. No change in Sleep/wake behavior. Upgrading the BIOS is the last step I guess. It would be very helpful if 9020MT + RX570 users could post their BIOS versions that worked well with Sleep/Wake.

Sorry, I don't have one but hopefully someone will pipe up. I suspect that this won't be fixed by changing the PC BIOS version or did you mean GPU BIOS?.

Can you confirm that the purple/pink lines have gone from startup? (If not, WEG may not be loading correctly). The only BIOS settings that I'd try varying are; primary graphics - swap between auto and AMD and (less likely) between Enable Legacy ROMs.

Quick search shows lots of people with sleep issues with this card and fix is often WEG but there are others. Hopefully, somebody has already fixed it with a 7020, and they will be able to help.

Edit: Daneland's reply is probably the way to go but do check your current settings against this guide. There are no settings which are are mentioned but insignificant.

Last edited:
Tried latest Lilu + WEG but still no joy. No change in Sleep/wake behavior. Upgrading the BIOS is the last step I guess. It would be very helpful if 9020MT + RX570 users could post their BIOS versions that worked well with Sleep/Wake.
A24

I'm using 7020 with Sierra 10.12.6 and Mojave 10.14.6 with no problem so far. Only one thing is all USB ports working well but I think it's slower than normal USB 3.0. I checked it with Blackmagic Disk Speed Test app and it's about 30~40MB/s. Is it normal speed? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I'd like to share my experience with Dell Hackintosh. I didn't follow this guide since it was built little over a year ago.
In early 2018, I got Dell Optiplex 9020 MT from a friend for free. A company that he works with was giving them out to employees, so my friend took one for me. It came with Windows 10 Pro, Intel i5-4570, 8GB of RAM, 240GB SSD. I upgraded components and turned it to Hackintosh. Here are current specs ...

Upgraded Specs ->
  • Intel i7-4790 3.59GHz (sold i5 on eBay, bought i7 from Craigslist)
  • 32 GB of RAM (got it cheap for $25 per 8GB DIMM)
  • EVGA 550W power supply ($35 brand new from Craigslist)
  • Sapphire Pulse Rx480 4GB (I paid somewhere around $90-100)
  • Added another 240GB SSD for Windows 10 ( Dual Boot works great, Windows 10 Pro activated a license automatically after finish installation)
What doesn't work:
  • Wake and sleep -> I've never been able to get it work. I gave up for now.

What does work:
  • Front audio port
  • USB 3.0
  • iMessage
  • iCloud
  • Bluetooth
Other things that I did not test :
  • AirDrop ( I don't have Wifi card installed)
  • Front mic port
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 1.03.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 1.07.34 AM.png

Back