Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Still not getting the higher res. Any ideas? should i buy a different graphics card?
I was also having a hard time getting my GPU displaying 4K. I wasn't able to figure it out so I returned it but I was using a RX 570.

I was also having a hard time getting my GPU displaying 4K. I wasn't able to figure it out so I returned it but I was using a RX 570.
Does your RX 580 work at a 4K resolution ?

New Lilu and plugins released yesterday. I've been trying to find a conversation which was trying to get 4K out of the 4600. I think it was on the Hackintool thread or at least mentioned using Hackintool to apply the patch. Sorry, I cant test 4K nor find that conversation.
Edit:Just remembered - Earlier in this(?) thread trs96 explained it couldnt be done with the 4600 on these machines due to the way the BIOS set video memory - just too low for something(?) to work at 4k. I think the fix would have involved a BIOS mod and even then it was questionable if it would work.

Last edited:
Can I use this method to install Sierra on 7020? I need Sierra to use FCP7 program and can't find a method anywhere. Thank you in advance.

Can I use this method to install Sierra on 7020? I need Sierra to use FCP7 program and can't find a method anywhere. Thank you in advance.
Yes, you can use the guide to install Sierra. El Capitan will work as well. The newer AMD Polaris based graphics cards will somewhat work with Sierra i.e. the RX 560/70/80. Better to go with Nvidia Kepler graphics or HD4600 for Sierra.

Last edited:
The newer AMD Polaris based graphics cards will not work with Sierra i.e. the RX 560/70/80. Better to go with Nvidia Kepler graphics or HD4600 for Sierra.
Thank you for the reply!!! How about RX480? I just got Visiontek one. I saw 10.12.6 support Polaris and that's why I'm trying Sierra. If not, I guess the best option is I will get a Nvidia Kepler and install El Capitan or lower version since I saw FCP7 is more stable older version something like Mountain Lion.

How about RX480?
You get best support with High Sierra 10.13.6 but it would likely still work with Sierra. I've never used Sierra with AMD cards as I still had Nvidia graphics then. I suppose the RX 500 series would work too. Your old 640 should work fine with Sierra.

I just installed Sierra with this method. I followed every step except using Sierra UniBeast Installer. I did BIOS update to the most recent one. (7020 A18) After installed MultiBeast 11.3 and added kexts with step by step. But I found IntelMausiEthernet.kext is not in kexts/Other folder. All of sudden, Internet was stopped. I don't know why maybe because of Safari auto update. So I need to use other computer to download IntelMausiEthernet.kext and tried several ways. In the end, I put the kext to the Clover folder and installed to /L/E with KextBeast. Finally, Ethernet worked again. I think everything is fine so far. I used iMac 15,1 as SMBIOS because my Optiplex has i7-4790. I didn't try RX 480 yet because I don't have 24pin to 8pin power connector. I will post when I install RX 480. HD4600 works fine. Just little shaking at the beginning.
One different thing was "sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage" said directory is not existed and nothing happened.

Thank you trs96 for the wonderful guide!!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

First of all - thanks to @trs96 for this amazing guide. It made me want to build my own hackintosh.

I have an old 9020 MT with i7-4790 and 16GB RAM. Currently, I'm in a process of ordering all the necessary pieces of hardware - my main concern is with GPU. I've heard good things about Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB (as mentioned on p. 1), as it is natively supported by macOS and used by Apple. A few things:

1) will it fit? well, it should. - I've read the topic, and the one on 7010 series - it might be a tight fit, but no SATA ports will be blocked. BUT: RX 580 would take up two PCIe slots, and I'm planning on using BCM94360CS2 card. What then? Can I put the WiFi/BT card in a PCIe x16 (wired as x4) slot with no worries? Some googling suggest it should work...

2) I have ordered a Seasonic 550W PSU - it should be enough. But what about the heat management? I worry that my system fans might not be efficient for a such powerful GPU. What do you guys think?

I am no heavy gamer (only Witcher 3 interests me ATM :)), just plan on using a 4k display and want to build the most future proof and smooth build possible.

Is the Sapphire RX 580 pulse worth it? Or is it better to look for some low profile GPUs? (The price difference is not that big in my country, so I would rather go with RX 580.)

Thanks!

P.S. I will update my profile details only after successfully putting together my hackintosh :lol:

Back