Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I hope this is okay posting it here, but I have a similar setup for my hack as this build with i9-9900K and a RX 580 running Mojave 10.14.6 (iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019). I am using this hack for 2 years for DAW audio use, and I have two main problems that are so random but frustrating. I'll focus on only the most frustrating one --
When using FabFilter plugins, sometimes it freezes the system, and I have to reboot. Audio is still running but it's crashing the graphics or something, so the graphics freeze but the DAW still plays back audio. I tried disabling integrated graphics per FabFilter's advice in their FAQ but it doesn't solve the issue. Is anybody familiar with this situation? I assume it's a graphic bug... maybe @NorthAmTransAm @cshaw340 you guys know anything? (assuming because I know you guys are using it for a studio) and of course master @CaseySJ. Thanks in advance.
Using FabFilter in what DAW? I have FF, too. I haven't noticed any problems. Using it in Logic Pro mostly. Does this happen with all FF plug-ins?

:thumbup: Today 10 years ago I became a member of tonymacx86. How time flies!
Thanks to all who contributed over these years. Help yourselves to a piece of virtual cake!

1661418317326.png

I've reached the point where I have to update to Catalina (at the very least). I've followed the instructions for the Micro-Guide for Upgrading from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.4 and Newer , with two exceptions. I upgraded to the f9 capsule bios, and I skipped step 12. (this is my 2nd attempt and I was having the same problem after following step 12 - not sure I edited properly).

Step 12 indicates "copy your existing RtVariables and SMBIOS sections [from mojave config.plist to the new config.plist on the USB drive]" I skipped that and I get a kernel panic. This seemed redundant and conflicted with instructions in the micro-guide for fresh install.

My graphics cards is a Sapphire 580, so should be ok. Any help will be much appreciated.
Here's a screenshot of the panic:

Attachments

• MGR_Panic_Catalina.jpg
    MGR_Panic_Catalina.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • Crashreport.txt
    6.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
@Inqnuam I'm still having the problem with HackinDROM, where updates don't include my custom usb map and revert to SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml (mine is called SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7-CUSTOM.aml). After every update I have to add my custom file back and switch the active one in OpenCore Configurator. Just updated to 0.8.3 and same thing happened again. I thought the app is supposed to copy over and activate any SSDT that's only in the old efi?

Using FabFilter in what DAW? I have FF, too. I haven't noticed any problems. Using it in Logic Pro mostly. Does this happen with all FF plug-ins?
Both in Ableton 11 and Pro Tools 2022.5... haven't tried it in Logic but that makes it consistent across different platforms (aax, vst, au)

I've reached the point where I have to update to Catalina (at the very least). I've followed the instructions for the Micro-Guide for Upgrading from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.4 and Newer , with two exceptions. I upgraded to the f9 capsule bios, and I skipped step 12. (this is my 2nd attempt and I was having the same problem after following step 12 - not sure I edited properly).

Step 12 indicates "copy your existing RtVariables and SMBIOS sections [from mojave config.plist to the new config.plist on the USB drive]" I skipped that and I get a kernel panic. This seemed redundant and conflicted with instructions in the micro-guide for fresh install.

My graphics cards is a Sapphire 580, so should be ok. Any help will be much appreciated.
Here's a screenshot of the panic:
Hello @soundude,

It is best to stay on Mojave for a moment and convert from Clover to OpenCore first. After we have a successful OpenCore EFI folder, we can start an in-place upgrade to Catalina. Follow this guide for converting to OpenCore:
Make a full bootable backup of your existing Mojave SSD, including the EFI partition. Things can go wrong whenever we upgrade from one major version of macOS to another. No assistance will be provided if a full backup is not made.

@Inqnuam I'm still having the problem with HackinDROM, where updates don't include my custom usb map and revert to SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml (mine is called SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7-CUSTOM.aml). After every update I have to add my custom file back and switch the active one in OpenCore Configurator. Just updated to 0.8.3 and same thing happened again. I thought the app is supposed to copy over and activate any SSDT that's only in the old efi?
There are two methods in HackinDROM for updating an EFI folder:

Option 1: Button on right side
Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 11.25.04 AM.png

Option 2: Pop-up menu from left side (right-click on left side and select Update as shown)

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 11.25.14 AM.png

If you have some custom changes, it is best to use Option 2.

Both in Ableton 11 and Pro Tools 2022.5... haven't tried it in Logic but that makes it consistent across different platforms (aax, vst, au)
Is there anything I can share that can help anyone understand what's wrong? appreciate any kind of input...

I hope this is okay posting it here, but I have a similar setup for my hack as this build with i9-9900K and a RX 580 running Mojave 10.14.6 (iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019). I am using this hack for 2 years for DAW audio use, and I have two main problems that are so random but frustrating. I'll focus on only the most frustrating one --
When using FabFilter plugins, sometimes it freezes the system, and I have to reboot. Audio is still running but it's crashing the graphics or something, so the graphics freeze but the DAW still plays back audio. I tried disabling integrated graphics per FabFilter's advice in their FAQ but it doesn't solve the issue. Is anybody familiar with this situation? I assume it's a graphic bug... maybe @NorthAmTransAm @cshaw340 you guys know anything? (assuming because I know you guys are using it for a studio) and of course master @CaseySJ. Thanks in advance.
Which DAW and audio interface? Mojave here with Reaper or Studio one but unfortunately, no Fabfilters plugs to try to reproduce. My hack runs like a clockwork…

***Oops, just saw the reply of @zipb…

Anyway, AI?

I need some help please @CaseySJ. Built my latest hack years ago when this thread started, using:
  • GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE (BIOS: F9i)
  • Intel Core i7 8th Gen - Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake
  • Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB
  • Fenvi FV-T919
  • WD Black SN750 2TB (NVME: /Volumes/Users)
  • Samsung 970 EVO250 GB (NVME: /, Likely will replace this with a WD Black SN750 to avoid trim issues/wear)
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (SATA: /BackupRoot)
  • Samsung HD204UI (SATA: TimeMachine)
I'm flawlessly running BigSur 11.4 and wanting to upgrade to Monterey 12.5.1. I'm doing test installs on my /BackupRoot. I've upgraded it to OC 0.8.3 with the EFI you posted in reply #36036. It works perfectly with BigSur. When I do a fresh install of 12.5.1 on /BackupRoot or try and do an upgrade (cloning / to /BackupRoot with CCC), 12.5.1 crashes after booting. I've booted with verbose and do not see a panic message.
  • On an upgrade it crashes after displaying the login screen.
  • For a fresh install it crashes during setup.
Been reading through this thread, trying multiple things, but I haven't been able to get 12.5.1 to work. I've attached a zip of my EFI. Can you please take a look and give me some guidance? Thanks.

Attachments

• efi.zip
    43.8 MB · Views: 36
Back