Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

audio interface is RME UFX II. updated drivers and firmware. @brousseau6933
also I'm running OC 0.6.0. Maybe it could be fixed if I update?

Is there anything I can share that can help anyone understand what's wrong? appreciate any kind of input...
I used a couple of FF plug-ins(the reverb and the eq) in a Bitwig project yesterday just to see what happens. Worked as advertised.

Come to think of it, there's a multiband FF compressor, plus at least 1 single band FF compressor in one of my mastering templates. I use this template regularly without issues, in Logic and Cubase.

I use the AU and VST3 versions, AFAIK.

I have Pro Tools and Live 10, but I don't use these much, so can't tell if FF works.

I need some help please @CaseySJ. Built my latest hack years ago when this thread started, using:
  • GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE (BIOS: F9i)
  • Intel Core i7 8th Gen - Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake
  • Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB
  • Fenvi FV-T919
  • WD Black SN750 2TB (NVME: /Volumes/Users)
  • Samsung 970 EVO250 GB (NVME: /, Likely will replace this with a WD Black SN750 to avoid trim issues/wear)
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (SATA: /BackupRoot)
  • Samsung HD204UI (SATA: TimeMachine)
I'm flawlessly running BigSur 11.4 and wanting to upgrade to Monterey 12.5.1. I'm doing test installs on my /BackupRoot. I've upgraded it to OC 0.8.3 with the EFI you posted in reply #36036. It works perfectly with BigSur. When I do a fresh install of 12.5.1 on /BackupRoot or try and do an upgrade (cloning / to /BackupRoot with CCC), 12.5.1 crashes after booting. I've booted with verbose and do not see a panic message.
  • On an upgrade it crashes after displaying the login screen.
  • For a fresh install it crashes during setup.
Been reading through this thread, trying multiple things, but I haven't been able to get 12.5.1 to work. I've attached a zip of my EFI. Can you please take a look and give me some guidance? Thanks.
Hello @gillams3,

Good to see you're doing a test installation on BackupRoot. Please copy serial numbers into attached config.plist and try the fresh installation again. Press and release CMD-V at OpenCore boot picker to enable verbose mode; if the startup process crashes simply grab and post a photo, but remove location information from the photo before posting. An easy way to remove location info is by dragging-and-dropping the photo to this website:

Attachments

• config.plist
    34.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Hello @soundude,

It is best to stay on Mojave for a moment and convert from Clover to OpenCore first. After we have a successful OpenCore EFI folder, we can start an in-place upgrade to Catalina. Follow this guide for converting to OpenCore:
Make a full bootable backup of your existing Mojave SSD, including the EFI partition. Things can go wrong whenever we upgrade from one major version of macOS to another. No assistance will be provided if a full backup is not made.
Took a while, but I can now boot from OpenCore on a USB. Time to move the EFI to the SSD. HackinDROM not working in Mojave. The URL posted above was incomplete - missing Security Section. I had a few successful boots, then kept ending up in the Utilities Boot. The Link below directed me to the Security section, and now I can successfully boot from USB. I don't want to rush. I'll try more in the morning when I'm fresh.

@CaseySJ thanks for looking at my EFI. These are the changes you made to the config.plist
Diff:
286c286
<             <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
---
>             <key>#PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
979c979
<             <string>Disabled</string>
---
>             <string>Default</string>
1124c1124
<                 <string>keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 shikigva=80 igfxfw=2</string>
---
>                 <string>keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 shikigva=80 igfxfw=2 </string>
I added my serial numbers to your config.plist and again attempted a fresh install. I got the exact same failure. The install completes, after a number of reboots (as expected). When booting 12.5.1 for the first time it boots and displays the first setup screen Select Your Country or Region and then the system hangs. No crash, no reboot, the system just hangs. I have to manually reset the machine.

To simply my system I removed both of the NVMe drives and tried a fresh install on a SATA SSD. Again I got the exact same failure. Any ideas what could be going on and how to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks.

@CaseySJ thanks for looking at my EFI. These are the changes you made to the config.plist
Diff:
286c286
<             <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
---
>             <key>#PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
979c979
<             <string>Disabled</string>
---
>             <string>Default</string>
1124c1124
<                 <string>keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 shikigva=80 igfxfw=2</string>
---
>                 <string>keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 shikigva=80 igfxfw=2 </string>
I added my serial numbers to your config.plist and again attempted a fresh install. I got the exact same failure. The install completes, after a number of reboots (as expected). When booting 12.5.1 for the first time it boots and displays the first setup screen Select Your Country or Region and then the system hangs. No crash, no reboot, the system just hangs. I have to manually reset the machine.

To simply my system I removed both of the NVMe drives and tried a fresh install on a SATA SSD. Again I got the exact same failure. Any ideas what could be going on and how to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks.
Is this happening on fresh install? Big Sur continues to be stable?

What are the makes and models of all PCIe cards and Thunderbolt devices connected to the system?

Thanks @CaseySJ, Yes this is on a fresh install of 12.5.1. BigSur (12.4) is rock solid.

My machine:
  • Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB (Revision ID: 0x00e7)
  • fenvi FV-T919 (Broadcom, Chipset: 20703A1, Firmware Version: v169 c4825)
  • Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB (NVME: /)
  • SATA Optiarc DVD RW AD-7261S
  • USB 2.0 Header 1 to 2/4 Female Extension Cable
  • USB keyboard & mouse
  • USB 2.0 hub in my monitor
  • USB 3.0 Keyboard/Mouse switch
No other PCI cards or drives, no thunderbolt devices.
Are there any BIOS changes required between 12.5.1 and 12.4?

Thanks @CaseySJ, Yes this is on a fresh install of 12.5.1. BigSur (12.4) is rock solid.

My machine:
  • Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB (Revision ID: 0x00e7)
  • fenvi FV-T919 (Broadcom, Chipset: 20703A1, Firmware Version: v169 c4825)
  • Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB (NVME: /)
  • SATA Optiarc DVD RW AD-7261S
  • USB 2.0 Header 1 to 2/4 Female Extension Cable
  • USB keyboard & mouse
  • USB 2.0 hub in my monitor
  • USB 3.0 Keyboard/Mouse switch
No other PCI cards or drives, no thunderbolt devices.
Are there any BIOS changes required between 12.5.1 and 12.4?
Some suggestions:
  • If an Ethernet cable is connected to either of the two gigabit Ethernet ports, temporarily disconnect both cables.
  • Because you're using a Samsung 850 EVO (BackupRoot) let's also set ApfsTrimTimeout to 0.
  • If you're not using a 10GbE Ethernet card, disable ForceAquantiaEthernet from Kernel section.
Screenshot 2022-08-28 at 10.51.36 AM.png

• Also ensure that all of the PlatformInfo --> DataHub values highlighted below have been specified.
  • Also, do not use iMac18,3
Screenshot 2022-08-28 at 10.57.30 AM.png

• Then reboot and see if Monterey welcome screen is stable and allows you to complete the install process.

Last edited:
Brilliant @CaseySJ! Disconnecting the ethernet cable I had connected to the Intel i211 port fixed the problem. Sorry if this was a known issues; I missed it in reading through this thread.

I unplugged the cable and was able to boot my prior fresh 12.5.1 install that had hung. Moving the ethernet cable to the Intel i219 port also worked! It seems neither of the SmallTree drivers work for me on 12.5.1 (I tried them both). Suspect there is something else that needs to be set for the SmallTree drivers, but no worries, I'll just use the i219 port.

The hangs I was getting now make perfect sense. There is an issue with the SmallTree driver (or configuration on my system), and during Mac setup, the setup process is likely trying to determine the geo-location of the Mac via the WLAN IP address. This sends packets on the ethernet and hangs the system.

You also suggested not using iMac18,3. I haven't yet had time to make that change and was curious why? Would you recommend iMac19,1 or something else? Can I reuse my existing serial numbers with a new system product name? Hoping not to impact any of my registered software.

Brilliant @CaseySJ! Disconnecting the ethernet cable I had connected to the Intel i211 port fixed the problem. Sorry if this was a known issues; I missed it in reading through this thread.

I unplugged the cable and was able to boot my prior fresh 12.5.1 install that had hung. Moving the ethernet cable to the Intel i219 port also worked! It seems neither of the SmallTree drivers work for me on 12.5.1 (I tried them both). Suspect there is something else that needs to be set for the SmallTree drivers, but no worries, I'll just use the i219 port.

The hangs I was getting now make perfect sense. There is an issue with the SmallTree driver (or configuration on my system), and during Mac setup, the setup process is likely trying to determine the geo-location of the Mac via the WLAN IP address. This sends packets on the ethernet and hangs the system.

You also suggested not using iMac18,3. I haven't yet had time to make that change and was curious why? Would you recommend iMac19,1 or something else? Can I reuse my existing serial numbers with a new system product name? Hoping not to impact any of my registered software.
Remove the smalltree stuff and the standard Apple driver will attach to the i211(in Monterey). Not great(fair amount of CPU load) but it works.

Back