Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

** Repository of Thunderbolt Bus Activation SSDTs -- Alpine Ridge Controllers Only **
EXPERIMENTAL - See "Issues"
Please do not quote this post in its entirety. Post a link instead.
...​

Hello everybody, @CaseySJ

I used the attached SSDT for my T480, but the Hotplug doesn't work.
Also I can't get the internal HDMI and DP to work via the TB3 dock.
Can anyone help me fix it?
I added the rename for the hotplug as attached but without solving

I am available for all tests

I hope this is okay posting it here, but I have a similar setup for my hack as this build with i9-9900K and a RX 580 running Mojave 10.14.6 (iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019). I am using this hack for 2 years for DAW audio use, and I have two main problems that are so random but frustrating. I'll focus on only the most frustrating one --
When using FabFilter plugins, sometimes it freezes the system, and I have to reboot. Audio is still running but it's crashing the graphics or something, so the graphics freeze but the DAW still plays back audio. I tried disabling integrated graphics per FabFilter's advice in their FAQ but it doesn't solve the issue. Is anybody familiar with this situation? I assume it's a graphic bug... maybe @NorthAmTransAm @cshaw340 you guys know anything? (assuming because I know you guys are using it for a studio) and of course master @CaseySJ. Thanks in advance.
Not sure if this got sorted or not but I recommend going to the latest Monterey. Running great over here in the newest Pro Tools.

Hello everybody, @CaseySJ

I used the attached SSDT for my T480, but the Hotplug doesn't work.
Also I can't get the internal HDMI and DP to work via the TB3 dock.
Can anyone help me fix it?
I added the rename for the hotplug as attached but without solving

I am available for all tests
Hello @pierpaolo2395,

Let's first take a look at the current status. Please post these screenshots:
  • OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Add
  • OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Patch
  • IORegistryExplorer --> RP09 section
  • System Information --> Thunderbolt
Also:
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • What is the make/model of the Thunderbolt device you are trying to connect?
  • Is AppleVTD enabled?

Some suggestions:
  • If an Ethernet cable is connected to either of the two gigabit Ethernet ports, temporarily disconnect both cables.
  • Because you're using a Samsung 850 EVO (BackupRoot) let's also set ApfsTrimTimeout to 0.
  • If you're not using a 10GbE Ethernet card, disable ForceAquantiaEthernet from Kernel section.
View attachment 553872
  • Also ensure that all of the PlatformInfo --> DataHub values highlighted below have been specified.
  • Also, do not use iMac18,3
View attachment 553873
  • Then reboot and see if Monterey welcome screen is stable and allows you to complete the install process.
Does this imply that we should set 'SetApfsTrimTimeout' to 0 if we have any Samsung EVO's in the system at all?

I have several SATA ones for projects and samples only...

Thanks in advance!

Does this imply that we should set 'SetApfsTrimTimeout' to 0 if we have any Samsung EVO's in the system at all?
For various Samsung NVMe and SATA SSDs we should indeed set SetApfsTrimTimeout to 0. This will disable trim on those device, but trim does not work anyway on those device starting with macOS Monterey.

There are potential issues if trim is disabled. It would be good to read this article:

You also suggested not using iMac18,3. I haven't yet had time to make that change and was curious why? Would you recommend iMac19,1 or something else? Can I reuse my existing serial numbers with a new system product name? Hoping not to impact any of my registered software.
@CaseySJ thanks again for your help. I think my newest questions might have gotten overlooked. Trying to understand the impact of changing the product version.

Also regarding "SetApfsTrimTimeout=0, I'll make that change. For others, its documented here in section 7.8, #20.

@CaseySJ thanks again for your help. I think my newest questions might have gotten overlooked. Trying to understand the impact of changing the product version.

Also regarding "SetApfsTrimTimeout=0, I'll make that change. For others, its documented here in section 7.8, #20.
I suppose if iMac18,3 is working, then it’s okay to continue using it. We started this guide with Mac Mini 8,1 and then promoted iMac19,1 because it also used the Coffee Lake Refresh processor (9th Gen). I was just surprised to see someone using iMac18,3… ;)

Hello @pierpaolo2395,

Let's first take a look at the current status. Please post these screenshots:
  • IORegistryExplorer --> RP09 section
Also:
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • What is the make/model of the Thunderbolt device you are trying to connect?
  • Is AppleVTD enabled?
@CaseySJ - Sorry for the slow response, Here is the data you asked me for
    Schermata 2022-08-30 alle 19.34.16.png
Schermata 2022-08-30 alle 20.38.49.png

Schermata 2022-08-30 alle 20.34.46.png
  • PCI List --> Thunderbolt
    Schermata 2022-08-30 alle 19.37.17.png
  • Attached complete IOEG (Pierpaolo's MacBook Pro) with Dock Station TB3 connected.
  • Which version of macOS are you running? --> Monterey 12.4 - SMBIOS: MacBookPro14,1
  • What is the make/model of the Thunderbolt device you are trying to connect? --> Brydge Stone Pro - Thunderbolt™ 3 Docking Station
  • Is AppleVTD enabled? --> If I activate AppleVTD, the TB3 port is not detected; only disabled works correctly
But how does the detection of the TB3 part in the system information work on the SSDT? Even comparing this SSDT with that of HackinDROM, it is different.
Furthermore, on IOREG, is it correct?

Thank you very much, for your reply and for your precious time dedicated to me

Attachments

• Pierpaolo's MacBook Pro.ioreg
    10 MB · Views: 24
@pierpaolo2395,

Thunderbolt Bus is indeed enabled and working, but as you said, hot plug does not work. This is most likely due to issues triggering and/or responding to the hot plug GPE (general purpose event). There are several _Lxx event handlers in DSDT so it's necessary to trap the right one.

Although I cannot promise a solution, I can take a look at the following files if you post them:
  • DSDT (from maciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> DSDT)
  • Thunderbolt SSDT that you're using
UPDATE: I just noticed that you're missing the following ACPI patch:
  • Find: 5F453243
  • Replace: 58453243
  • Comment: _E2C to XE2C
Please add this patch, reboot, and see if hot plug works.

Last edited:
@pierpaolo2395,

Thunderbolt Bus is indeed enabled and working, but as you said, hot plug does not work. This is most likely due to issues triggering and/or responding to the hot plug GPE (general purpose event). There are several _Lxx event handlers in DSDT so it's necessary to trap the right one.

Although I cannot promise a solution, I can take a look at the following files if you post them:
  • DSDT (from maciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> DSDT)
  • Thunderbolt SSDT that you're using
UPDATE: I just noticed that you're missing the following ACPI patch:
  • Find: 5F453243
  • Replace: 58453243
  • Comment: _E2C to XE2C
Please add this patch, reboot, and see if hot plug works.

@CaseySJ

I enclose the two requested files; Native DSDT, and patched SSDT Thunderbolt3.

_E2C to XE2C this method does not exist in DSDT.

Even adding rename, the situation does not change

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3 HotPlug RP09.dsl
    611 bytes · Views: 24
  • DSDT.aml
    137.5 KB · Views: 31
  • SSDT-TbtOnPch-ThinkPad-T480-OC.aml
    4.5 KB · Views: 22
Back