Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I would like to report that bios F9i disconnects my UAD Thunderbolt 3 Octo satellite with UAD 10.1 after a few minutes. This does not happen on bios F9g with the exact same settings on Monterey 12.5 with opencore 0.8.3. This is both with a flashed thunderbolt and a regular thuderbolt designare.
Added to Troubleshooting section in Post 1:

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 12.29.27 PM.png

@AndyHen

Several months ago I moved my GC-Titan Ridge AIC from my Designare Z390 to my Z690 Aero G running Monterey. On the Aero G thread someone had asked about using the Apple TB display with it. I brought the display out of storage and connected it to the Titan Ridge card, and it worked well as a dual display.

So changing motherboards and macOS versions didn't prevent the Apple TB Display from running for me. I don't use dual displays so the display is now back in storage.

I suspect it is a mater of tweaking something. With @CaseySJ on your case, I suspect the problem can be identified and corrected. Good luck.
Thanks for the response @NCMacGuy and @CaseySJ ! I got it working. I had forgotten to give it a cold boot after the upgrade. Using a second monitor I could see the TB bus was connecting to the monitor but I couldn't get it to actually start. The cold reboot go the "hot" plugin to work! back in action!!

Hi Guys, huge news here on the Z390 designare F9i + MOTU 828es Pro (TB) audio interface in Catalina :
just got it working with 0.8.3 and dual windows / osx boot and now STABLE: by adding a DMAR configuration and bios VTd.

I'll document my change asap working today so maybe tonight.
But basically that was it!!!

It is possible that 0.8.3 now helps getting a more stable Catalina as well, and I'm thinking I see no reason why it could not work on more recent OS'es as well, but just need to spend more time investigating...

Good morning, I was using version 0.82, no problem, now that I updated to 0.83 ... I see problems like not going into sleep mode, triggering screen saver etc.. Unfortunately I deleted my 0C 0.82... and on the homepage this OC doesn't exist, only 0.80 or 0.83. How to get 0.82 ? Thanks.

Unfortunately I deleted my 0C 0.82... and on the homepage this OC doesn't exist, only 0.80 or 0.83. How to get 0.82 ?
Scroll down the page and you'll see it. Expand the Assets section by clicking the triangle.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Good morning, I was using version 0.82, no problem, now that I updated to 0.83 ... I see problems like not going into sleep mode, triggering screen saver etc.. Unfortunately I deleted my 0C 0.82... and on the homepage this OC doesn't exist, only 0.80 or 0.83. How to get 0.82 ? Thanks.
These problems are generally related to USB port mapping and not to OpenCore. Some questions:
  • Were you using a modified version of the USB port map SSDT?
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • In System Preferences --> Energy Saver, is Wake for network access turned off? We should disable it.

Hi Casey, I was looking at this from the Dortania site and I would like your comment on it:

Boot Flags: AMD Boot Arguments:

shikigva=40 + shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94
  • Swaps boardID with iMacPro1,1
  • Allows for Polaris, Vega and Navi GPUs to handle all types of rendering, useful for SMBIOS which expect an iGPU

Hi Casey, I was looking at this from the Dortania site and I would like your comment on it:

Boot Flags: AMD Boot Arguments:

shikigva=40 + shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94
  • Swaps boardID with iMacPro1,1
  • Allows for Polaris, Vega and Navi GPUs to handle all types of rendering, useful for SMBIOS which expect an iGPU
I'm trying this on my Z390 Designare test bench with Ventura public beta #3 and iMac19,1. So far:
  • tv+ DRM content does not play
  • HEVC and H.264 video conversion -- it seems iGPU still being used

These problems are generally related to USB port mapping and not to OpenCore. Some questions:
  • Were you using a modified version of the USB port map SSDT?
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • In System Preferences --> Energy Saver, is Wake for network access turned off? We should disable it.
Hello @CaseySJ thanks

I simply use the auto-generated SSDT in Hackdown.

I use Monterey

It wasn't turned off, I turned it off now, and I'll go back to version 0.83 and test.

Does SSDT have any suggestions. ?

I hope this is okay posting it here, but I have a similar setup for my hack as this build with i9-9900K and a RX 580 running Mojave 10.14.6 (iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019). I am using this hack for 2 years for DAW audio use, and I have two main problems that are so random but frustrating. I'll focus on only the most frustrating one --
When using FabFilter plugins, sometimes it freezes the system, and I have to reboot. Audio is still running but it's crashing the graphics or something, so the graphics freeze but the DAW still plays back audio. I tried disabling integrated graphics per FabFilter's advice in their FAQ but it doesn't solve the issue. Is anybody familiar with this situation? I assume it's a graphic bug... maybe @NorthAmTransAm @cshaw340 you guys know anything? (assuming because I know you guys are using it for a studio) and of course master @CaseySJ. Thanks in advance.

Back