Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Most likely there won't be one. In two months from today we'll find out whether all Intel Mac support is dropped, forever. I know, not the best scenario but it could happen.
Dang, well fingers crossed!

So I tried the method that CaseySJ recommended and when ever I go to patch the Post-Install Root Patch with OC Legacy Patcher 1.4.3 I get a "SIP is enabled (Required: 0x803 or higher)" and "Currently Booted SIP: (0x0)" messaged and it will not let me click on the "Start Root Patching" button - I believe I need to reset my NVRAM but after looking around for it I'm unclear how to do this so I'm stuck again :/
1712696442694.png

Dang, well fingers crossed!

So I tried the method that CaseySJ recommended and when ever I go to patch the Post-Install Root Patch with OC Legacy Patcher 1.4.3 I get a "SIP is enabled (Required: 0x803 or higher)" and "Currently Booted SIP: (0x0)" messaged and it will not let me click on the "Start Root Patching" button - I believe I need to reset my NVRAM but after looking around for it I'm unclear how to do this so I'm stuck again :/ View attachment 581201
you need to disable SIP:

• Disconnect and store the bad HDD for the time being
  • Purchase and install a new SDD (preferably SDD, not HDD) of the appropriate capacity
    • If your HDD contains far more data than will fit on even the highest capacity SSD, then of course purchase a new replacement HDD
  • Install and format the new SSD (or HDD) as APFS
  • Boot into Recovery and select the option to restore from Time Machine Backup
  • Follow on-screen instructions to restore everything to the new SSD (or HDD)
I have about 3T of data. Not sure what went wrong with the HDD, but I do have an enclosure I can slap it in and hope for the best.

I already have a new 6T HDD. My existing SSD (with Sonoma but not user folder on it) is 500g, which is potentially plenty for my system, OS, apps, and user folder so long as I keep all the photos, videos, and music on a separate drive.

I booted into recovery, formatted the 6T HDD as APFS, and attempted to restore from Time Machine and got the following error: "You must use Migration Assistant to transfer data from this backup."
How?

UPDATE: I can boot from the broken HDD. I get an error. Paraphrase: "Disk can't be repaired. Backup what you can. You can read but not write". I tried opening System Preferences --> Users & Groups with the goal of migrating the User Folder back to the SSD, but it's the one System Preference I can't seem to open at all.

UPDATE2: I logged into the second user account and gave it admin, then restarted and logged in again. I opened System Preferences --> Users & Groups. By right clicking on my main user account, I managed to change the user folder to the SSD. Then I rebooted successfully into my user account and ran Migration Assistant, selecting restore from Time machine backup. It's complicated since Time Machine only let me restore the system automatically. Most of my data I had to do manually. Time Machine is a crappy backup by itself. I learned my lesson. No more splitting up the User folder and OS. Definitely dedicating a separate external drive for CCC backups.

SOLVED

Last edited:
I had a kernel panic which made me do a hard shutdown. Couldn't get past the OC selection screen, so I got into recovery and ran a first aid on the macOS drive. I haven't been able to get past the boot selector screen since. I installed Ventura on a separate SSD, booted into it and can see all my files on the first drive, but can't boot off of it. EFI partition seems ok. Can't figure out the problem. CMD-V (verbose) shows nothing as the boot process doesn't even begin. I tried to reinstall Ventura from recovery but when attempting to select the original macOS drive I get this error:
Code:
The operation couldn't be completed (com.apple.Buildinfo.preflight.error error 21.)
Any ideas?

I normally use Ventura, but also keep a Sonoma installation for occasional use. After updating Sonoma, my system would crash immediately after login.

I use the Intel wifi/bluetooth with Sonoma, and it appears my older Sonoma AirportItlwm kext wasn't compatible anymore. I installed the latest version (released yesterday) and it fixed my problem.

Just FYI in case anyone else sees this.

I normally use Ventura, but also keep a Sonoma installation for occasional use. After updating Sonoma, my system would crash immediately after login.

I use the Intel wifi/bluetooth with Sonoma, and it appears my older Sonoma AirportItlwm kext wasn't compatible anymore. I installed the latest version (released yesterday) and it fixed my problem.

Just FYI in case anyone else sees this.
Good to see the independent discovery of this solution. FYI, we mention this in the Sonoma Mini-Guide:

I had a kernel panic which made me do a hard shutdown. Couldn't get past the OC selection screen, so I got into recovery and ran a first aid on the macOS drive. I haven't been able to get past the boot selector screen since. I installed Ventura on a separate SSD, booted into it and can see all my files on the first drive, but can't boot off of it. EFI partition seems ok. Can't figure out the problem. CMD-V (verbose) shows nothing as the boot process doesn't even begin. I tried to reinstall Ventura from recovery but when attempting to select the original macOS drive I get this error:
Code:
The operation couldn't be completed (com.apple.Buildinfo.preflight.error error 21.)
Any ideas?
Had a similar incident. If you boot up off your SSD, check your startup disk setting under system preferences. What OS version does it read the drive that won't boot as? Is it the correct version? Or something newer?

Back