Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Some questions/comments:
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
  • Have you tried the Fenvi FV-T919? Or the Fenvi FV-HB1200?
  • Feel free to compress and post the entire EFI folder that was configured for on-board Intel WiFi/BT, but redact serial numbers from PlatformInfo --> DataHub prior to posting
I am running Mojave 10.14.6.
No, have not tried any other card, just figured out that the old one was the issue today. Looking to buy the Fenvi T919 - would you recommend that one?
I upgraded to the 0.8.3 EFI folder from this build and just changed the config.plist. The previous card was plug and play, no additional tweaks were made from the original build onwards.

I am running Mojave 10.14.6.
No, have not tried any other card, just figured out that the old one was the issue today. Looking to buy the Fenvi T919 - would you recommend that one?
Yes, the FV-T919 has been a reliable workhorse. I have 5 of them.

Yes, the FV-T919 has been a reliable workhorse. I have 5 of them.
Any particular modification that needs to happen to my EFI folder when installing the Fenvi card or is it just plug and play?

Any particular modification that needs to happen to my EFI folder when installing the Fenvi card or is it just plug and play?
It’s just plug and play.

@zipb

I don't use BT with my Designare Z390 which has the Fenvi FV-T919 card installed. But to see if my hack also had problems with BT, I just checked both Monterey and the latest Ventura public beta to see if my iPhone SE with current iOS would connect via BT. It would pair and for a second or two show "Connected," then immediately disconnect.

If I repeatedly retry to "Connect" the iPhone, it would show "Connected," but instantaneously disconnect.

So I confirm your BT problem with the Designare. I also tried BT with my Z690 Aero G which has a Broadcom BCM94360NG Key A/E M.2 WiFi/BT module replacing the Intel WiFi module and it exhibits the same problem with Big Sur, Monterey, and public beta 3 Ventura. Maybe my iPhone model is a factor.

Since I don't use BT, I don't have time at this point to work the issue.
BT has also been finickey for me, especially around sleep... and I suspect its the culprit for some intermittent instability. On a somewhat related note, I had Apple Thunderbolt monitor working on Z390 Aorus Pro with a flashed GC-Titan Ridge AIC. Today I finally updated from Catalina to Monterey and haven't been able to get it back on.

Any reports of similar issues with Thunderbolt and more recent OS versions? I scanned this thread and a bunch of your and @CaseySJ 's activity but couldn't find anything.

ideas? I'd hate to finally have to retire this 27" beauty.

BT has also been finickey for me, especially around sleep... and I suspect its the culprit for some intermittent instability. On a somewhat related note, I had Apple Thunderbolt monitor working on Z390 Aorus Pro with a flashed GC-Titan Ridge AIC. Today I finally updated from Catalina to Monterey and haven't been able to get it back on.

Any reports of similar issues with Thunderbolt and more recent OS versions? I scanned this thread and a bunch of your and @CaseySJ 's activity but couldn't find anything.

Hello @AndyHen

Some questions:
  • Is AppleVTD enabled in Monterey?
  • Have you tried using a “ghost plug?
  • Does the monitor appear in IORegistryExplorer, under the Thunderbolt root port (RP21 or similar)?

I had Apple Thunderbolt monitor working on Z390 Aorus Pro with a flashed GC-Titan Ridge AIC. Today I finally updated from Catalina to Monterey and haven't been able to get it back on.

@AndyHen

Several months ago I moved my GC-Titan Ridge AIC from my Designare Z390 to my Z690 Aero G running Monterey. On the Aero G thread someone had asked about using the Apple TB display with it. I brought the display out of storage and connected it to the Titan Ridge card, and it worked well as a dual display.

So changing motherboards and macOS versions didn't prevent the Apple TB Display from running for me. I don't use dual displays so the display is now back in storage.

I suspect it is a mater of tweaking something. With @CaseySJ on your case, I suspect the problem can be identified and corrected. Good luck.

I am using Monterey 12.5.1 on a Designare, and I can't get TV+ to read any films. Music works fine. Does anyone know about this? Thanks.

I am using Monterey 12.5.1 on a Designare, and I can't get TV+ to read any films. Music works fine. Does anyone know about this? Thanks.
Unfortunately, DRM-protected content in the tv and Music apps will not play unless we use system product name iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1.

Installed OC 0.7.8 with OS 11.6 fresh on my new ssd with this guide
OpenCore 0.7.8 EFI for Z390 Designare
everything working fine
can boot into mac OS without issues
after that i updated OC with
Using HackinDROM Application
to 0.8.2
everything fine
vega 56 also fine till now

I have also the flashed Thunderbolt chip on my Designare Z390,
and my old lacie 2big with Apple Thunderbolt adapter working fine,
and my UAD Twin mk1 (silver) with Apple Thunderbolt adapter also working fine.

Made this
disabling AppleVTD
so I can boot also into Windows in OC.
It works but I get on the BIOS startup this "error"?
IMG_3567.jpg

I can boot into everything, but on the OC boot instead of my old Clover (which I want to wipe after few stress test on my OC) I get this on my BIOS screen.

I made a ISO backup of my old Clover (10.14) with CCC and dropped it into my Lacie 2big.
Question: how can I recover from the Lacie if my new OC breaks ?
After some stress tests I want to wipe my old Clover and recover my new OS 11.6 to the main SSD (where my old Clover was).

Back