Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, thanks everyone for the help in this thread.

I seem to be functioning okay with:

CUDA Driver Version: 5.0.36
GPU Driver Version: 8.6.22 304.10.20f04

posted by aolivero and following the instructions earlier in the thread. (here - http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-sleep-wake-freeze-thread-101.html#post479986)

Here's where i'm a bit stumped, i'm using two graphics cards in my machine - an EVGA GTX550 ti and a MSI GTX580. I also use 2 displays.

Question #1: in Lion NVClockX would allow me monitor the temp of both graphics card - no matter if either display was plugged into either card - but in mountain lion HWMonitor will only show what seems to be the card the main display is plugged into - can i get both to show? Will adding NVClockX help? I've read it can cause issues.

Onto AGPM - if i run one display (the main) off my gtx580 and the 2nd display off the 550 - HWMonitor shows GPU Core will shift from 50Mhz in "idle" and ramp up to 981Mhz when i watch youtube or use some gfx programs, it then ramps back down again after use. So this seems to be working okay. I've tried editing my AGPM to include the 550ti using the appropriate device ids etc and running both my main and 2nd display off the 550ti (Davinci Resolve needs to work like this), but no matter what i set the values to, the best i can get is the console log telling me it's set to state 2 and HWMonitor shows the GPU Core at 981Mhz (the same as my 580 when running gfx apps) the whole time - which is no different to when i have no entry in AGPM at all. Any help? (i'm using MacPro 5,1)

Thanks again! :)

Thanks, I had test it those drivers already, but still Freeze are present at least for my GTX560m, but thanks any way

Try another smbios most compatible with your hack.

After I installed iMac's 12.2 smbios to my Sandy Bridge system with last GPU driver (8.6.22 304.10.20f04), it works perfect for 2 weeks.

Actually now i'm noticing even when using the 580 for my main display (and the 550ti for my 2nd display), after the displays goto sleep and i wake them, my GPU Core seems stuck at 981Mhz until a restart.

Thinking of replacing my 550ti with a gtx640 - will i be able to run a gtx640 and gtx580 together in ML? The 6xx kepler series seems to need GE=No but i have GE=Yes to make my 580/550ti system work. Thanks. :)

Great news!!!

With last special update for new Macs Apple released new NVidia driver version 304.10.20f04 that seems to solve all the issue (at least for me).

I like to report that this version of the driver also seems to solve my issue of Safari causing a hang after waking up from a monitor sleep. I was also getting "channel timeout" errors in my log.

However, it was not an easy journey for me in applying this fix. Here are my experiences:

1. I applied the fix as described by aolivero. However, I had trouble when copying over the new Frameworks. I was getting "sudo: unable to initialize PAM: No such file or directory" errors. I had to boot up using my backup OS X and do the copying. There were comments saying to ignore these errors as the directories were being copied. This is only true for the first directory.

2. After completing the procedure, I was able to boot successfully but I was getting screen freezes more often and more "channel timeout" errors (and other NVDA errors in my log file.

3. After more searching for solutions, I decided to confirm the versions of Nvidia drivers I have. I found that I was missing the CUDA driver completely.

4. I downloaded the CUDA driver from Nvidia (version 5.0.36) and install it. Since then, I have no NVDA errors at all in my log file, and no screen freezes or corruption in Safari after waking up from monitor sleep.

I hope the above helps some of you who are having similar problems. I am using a GTX 560 card.

I am sorry to report that adding CUDA to my system did not completely stop the error:

NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

After getting this error message, my screen hangs after waking up from a monitor sleep. I had Safari running, which is a common thread to getting this error.

I have the same problem. We are waiting for the decision. Very tired of freeze = (

Are the best drivers for this issue still the DP3 drivers?

I currently have these installed on 10.8.2 and using LuxMark I am benchmarking an appreciable amount less than in my 10.7.4 installation on the same hardware.

I'll join the "club" as well :p

I've been having freezes for months, hoping there would be a fix in some point, nothing seem to be able to fix it. Guess I have to downgrade to Lion, so I could at least do my work instead of rebooting every 2-3 hours. Guess there will be a fix in some point. At least I hope.

Anyway, I'm still glad we are this far, I can at least change my resolution w/o problems on 10.8.2 by using the 304.00.05f04 drivers. :clap:

Alright Everybody.

i scrolled all day in this Thread and just installed Mountain Lion - again.

So here is what i did:
Install Mountain Lion
installed Combo Update to 10.8.2, no reboot.
installed Nvidia 304.00.00f20 Driver, no reboot.
installed the related Frameworks and runned all Commands + openCL command.

Since then the System runned just fine 10.8.2
i could install all other Stuff so far and haven't got srs issues - yet.

Played some 3D Games and they are working so far BUT i mentioned a FPS decrease of my Old System i messed up (dunno what drivers tho).

So on my System:
MacPro 3.1 smbios, Asus P5Q, Gainward GTX550 Ti
i still wasn't able to Sleep.

I wonder what happens there.
i just tried Sleep an got these Console logs:

09.01.13 03:29:41,000 kernel[0]: The USB device Logitech G35 Headset (Port 2 of Hub at 0x1a000000) may have caused a wake by being disconnected

so My Headset which i connected to the Front Usb caused my Sleep Problems.
I just connected it to the Backpanel and now i'm able to go to Sleep.

Next Question:

what is the Performance difference on the current: 304.00.00f20 and the: 304.00.05f02 Drivers?
i'm kinda willing to update to the new ones but first wanted to ask just to make sure i wont mess up the whole System..
kinda getting tired of Setting all up all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back