Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit worried about the fan and temperature on the GTS450

My machine sounds quieter, but that could be the new SSD :)

How are people telling the GPU temperature and GPU fan speeds after this update?

I've tried "Hardware Monitor" and iStat Menus, but can't find anything about GPU fan speeds or GPU temps in there.

Don't really want to melt my graphics card, given that everything on this mountain lion build now works perfectly[1] thanks to these drivers.

Cheers

[1] questions about GPU fans and temps notwithstanding

How are people telling the GPU temperature and GPU fan speeds after this update?

I've tried "Hardware Monitor" and iStat Menus, but can't find anything about GPU fan speeds or GPU temps in there.

Don't really want to melt my graphics card, given that everything on this mountain lion build now works perfectly[1] thanks to these drivers.

Cheers

No problem with fan at all, still quiet i have 3 fans running:

Fan 0 = 1515
Fan 1 = 459
Fan 2 = 1146

On Lion 10.7.4, Fan 0 was running like 2000 and above, but since Mountain Lion i have much quieter Fan's. But this does not affect in any kind Apps or performance.
So everything is working nice, except the "Deep Sleep".

Hope this helps

Cheers

If you don't see the Hardware Monitor Fan's etc.. you should try to install Hardware Monitor from MultiBeast v4.5.1, as for me only those worked.
I was never able to get Hardware Monitor from MultiBeast v4.6.1 working, i had the same issue like you, not showing up after installing.
So install Hardware Monitor from MultiBeast v 4.5.1 to get the Hardware Monitor working.

I would like to report that the new drivers from nvidia worked for me. Resolution change, deep sleep, monitor sleep, monitor on and off all working as they should. No glitches. Here is the process I followed:

1. Backup old SMBIOS. Change SMBIOS to MacPRO 5,1 (Don't think I really needed to do that). Restart with safe mode (-x boot flag)
2. Download http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.00f20-driver.html
3. Used pacifist to extract kexts to folder on the desktop. There should be 8. Using Trial Pacifist worked fine for me.
4. Backup old kexts just in case.
5. Install new kexts using kextbeast.
6. Restore old SMBIOS. I get Kernel Panics if I try to use MacPro 5,1.
7. Restart using -f flag just to flush caches.

That is all I did. Best of luck to everyone else, I am so happy to have this issue resolved!!

I would like to report that the new drivers from nvidia worked for me. Resolution change, deep sleep, monitor sleep, monitor on and off all working as they should. No glitches. Here is the process I followed:

1. Backup old SMBIOS. Change SMBIOS to MacPRO 5,1 (Don't think I really needed to do that). Restart with safe mode (-x boot flag)
2. Download http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.00f20-driver.html
3. Used pacifist to extract kexts to folder on the desktop. There should be 8. Using Trial Pacifist worked fine for me.
4. Backup old kexts just in case.
5. Install new kexts using kextbeast.
6. Restore old SMBIOS. I get Kernel Panics if I try to use MacPro 5,1.
7. Restart using -f flag just to flush caches.

That is all I did. Best of luck to everyone else, I am so happy to have this issue resolved!!
>using pacifist
Find archive.pax.gz in the finder, extract.
1. Why safemode?
2. What smbios are you using right now?

I'm having problems with monitor sleep, and if in the resolution panel, you click scaled, and then click recommended again, it bluescreens and freezes. Deepsleep also not working, graphics corruption sometimes occur on Safari. Monitor sleep wakes into a freeze.

1. Why safemode?
2. What smbios are you using right now?

1. It more of a safety precaution. It may not make any difference in safemode. I don't think those kexts are loaded in safe mode though which I could see as a good thing.
2. I have to use iMac 12,2 on my system. I think because its an i7 Ivy Bridge

Alright I'm back to confirm, setting the BCLK back to 100 didn't do anything for me.

Once the monitor goes to sleep after the screen saver is on for a bit, I'm unable to wake the computer up. Pushing a button brings me back to an image of the screensaver, and all I can do is move my mouse. Processes are still running in the background, but I can't get to the password entry screen to log back in. Might sleep enabler fix this? Or is this something else?

A happy camper here too!

The freezes and random graphic glitches were starting to drive me crazy.
With the new Nvidia kext everything works way better, although I still have the occasional freeze and 'NVDA(OpenGL):Channel exception!' message in my logs.

Anyway I just wanted to share this patch for libclh.dylib since the old one doesn't work anymore and it's quite frustrating that OpenCL isn't working out of the box so to speak. And it took some time to work it out since Nvidia anonymized the function names in the library.

Just copy and paste this in a terminal window (don't forget to backup libclh.dylib beforehand).
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

Alternatively you can use a hex editor to search for:
8b 81 1c 0c 00 00 eb 06 8b 81 20 0c 00 00

and replace it by:
b8 02 00 00 00 90 eb 06 b8 00 00 00 00 90

There should be only one occurrence of this in the whole file. The perl script will tell you the number of substitutions it made.

Normally it should take effect immediately so there's no need to reboot, it should also trigger a rebuild of the kernel cache.
If like me you're a cautious person feel free to do those two things manually.

A happy camper here too!

The freezes and random graphic glitches were starting to drive me crazy.
With the new Nvidia kext everything works way better, although I still have the occasional freeze and 'NVDA(OpenGL):Channel exception!' message in my logs.

Anyway I just wanted to share this patch for libclh.dylib since the old one doesn't work anymore and it's quite frustrating that OpenCL isn't working out of the box so to speak. And it took some time to work it out since Nvidia anonymized the function names in the library.

Just copy and paste this in a terminal window (don't forget to backup libclh.dylib beforehand).
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

Alternatively you can use a hex editor to search for:
8b 81 1c 0c 00 00 eb 06 8b 81 20 0c 00 00

and replace it by:
b8 02 00 00 00 90 eb 06 b8 00 00 00 00 90

There should be only one occurrence of this in the whole file. The perl script will tell you the number of substitutions it made.

Normally it should take effect immediately so there's no need to reboot, it should also trigger a rebuild of the kernel cache.
If like me you're a cautious person feel free to do those two things manually.
Thank you!!
OpenCL for my GT 430 is working now.

Thank you!!
OpenCL for my GT 430 is working now.

Can someone please tell me where i can find the "libclh.dylib" file, so i can make a Backup of them first.

thanks

Ahhh, i found it!!!

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back