Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're all happy, BUT it's not perfect yet.
Here's a resume:

The bad
-I got higher temperatures than before. It's not a problem, but it's 5 degress celcius higher.
-Sometimes the system hangs with the seti@home screensaver after working with it for many hours, like all night.
-I got a system freeze while working with SnagIt and Safari. First, SnagIt hangs for about 10 seconds, then Safari hangs and shows garbage graphics "inside", and finally all the system hangs.

The good
-System boots perfect and faster.
-I can play games without hangs.
-I can run Unigine Heaven in full screen without problems.
-I can enter and exit fullscreen on apps and games without problems.
-I can connect another screen, power on and off screens, change resolution, etc. without any kind of problem.

So, it's not perfect, but it's working and there are more good things than bad things.
I'll be waiting to see what happens when we all upgrade to ML 10.8.2

Ok, I've been reading through this for an hour or so...
In all these comments I can't manage to find any definite solution for the garbage screen after wakeup from sleep for the 550Ti.
Can someone point me in the right direction? thnx

Running 10.8.1
ASUS P5K SE
GigaByte Geforce GTX 550 Ti

P.S. I'm getting the same screwed up screen after exiting any full-screen game.

Ok, I've been reading through this for an hour or so...
In all these comments I can't manage to find any definite solution for the garbage screen after wakeup from sleep for the 550Ti.
Can someone point me in the right direction? thnx

Running 10.8.1
ASUS P5K SE
GigaByte Geforce GTX 550 Ti

P.S. I'm getting the same screwed up screen after exiting any full-screen game.

Read from post #717. You have the link to the updated nvidia drivers there. You just have to install it (if you have a Mac Pro 5.1 smbios), or just extract the kext files inside that drivers file using pacifist, put the kexts on the desktop, install it using kexbeast, then run kext utility and wait till it finish, and restart the system.

For some reason, this simply is not working for me. I've tried to re-install the drivers with 5,1 in my smbios, i've tried using other ones like 3,1 and 12,1. None of those make any difference. I've tried using Nvidia's install app and I've tried using pacifist. I still have the same issues I had before with the only exception being that I can now change resolutions without blue screening. Aside from that, I still get artefacts when the monitors wake up and when I play a full screen video in quicktime and then i exit the full screen mode (it hangs just like it always has).

My specs are:

Core 2 Quad 2.69ghz.
2 x ASUS 550ti's (four monitors) - I've had this setup since leopard (although back then I had two 9600GT's)
ASUS P5Q-Pro motherboard
8Gb ram.

Oh and I've also tried EFI (again), booting with a rom image (again), using "GraphicsEnabler"="Yes" (again)... none of these make a difference.

Any ideas would be very very much appreciated!

Had my first freeze (only temporary) whilst using safari. Got loads of garbage graphics in safari but nothing else. Looking in console after it showed a channel exception.

Anyone managed to get this crash when NOT using safari? I have only ever seen graphical problems in that program :S

A happy camper here too!

The freezes and random graphic glitches were starting to drive me crazy.
With the new Nvidia kext everything works way better, although I still have the occasional freeze and 'NVDA(OpenGL):Channel exception!' message in my logs.

Anyway I just wanted to share this patch for libclh.dylib since the old one doesn't work anymore and it's quite frustrating that OpenCL isn't working out of the box so to speak. And it took some time to work it out since Nvidia anonymized the function names in the library.

Just copy and paste this in a terminal window (don't forget to backup libclh.dylib beforehand).
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

Thanks working great! (Can run Lexmark again on 10.8!)
First I installed the latest NVIDIA Drivers + CUDA and deleted the AGPM.kext in /S/L/E.

I later rebuild the kernel-cache with Kext Utility.

Thanks again for sharing! :)

Thanks working great! (Can run Lexmark again on 10.8!)
First I installed the latest NVIDIA Drivers + CUDA and deleted the AGPM.kext in /S/L/E.

I later rebuild the kernel-cache with Kext Utility.

Thanks again for sharing! :)

i have a question, why did you delet the AGPM.kext? did you have kernel panics with it?

thanks.

Shinji3rd, you're right, everything isn't perfect.
You provide a good resume of the situation but I can't tell about the temperature.

I can now turn my monitor on and off without freeze, but I have to do one or two reboot per day.

I'll keep watching the thread hoping for another solution.

Thanks

Shinji3rd, you're right, everything isn't perfect.
You provide a good resume of the situation but I can't tell about the temperature.

I can now turn my monitor on and off without freeze, but I have to do one or two reboot per day.

I'll keep watching the thread hoping for another solution.

Thanks

I confirm, if no playing a video for a long time or not using the graphics a lot, both CPU & Monitor freezes!

Well after a whole 2 days of trying every single kext I could possibly try.. hehe... I finally got my system to work.. I have a HP Pavilion Desktop PC from Costco running on an i5 2.49ghz cpu. I created the DSDT myself with simple patches. Installed Mountain Lion with no problem. Currently using Chameleon v2.1svn r1518 to boot it up.. Works perfectly!

Now to the part that you guys give a s^#t about...

The sleep part was fixed by using a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagent.kext (Included in this post) and the video was fixed by installing that update from NVIDIA everyone has been talking about. Now the original setup didnt work, but I went inside of the Packages folder and manually installed it :) It worked like a charm, no KP's at all!!! I am not using SleepEnabler.kext, obviously you don't want to use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and I think that's pretty much it!

I've also included the .pkg I mentioned earlier that works without detecting anything, simply installs the new drivers (kexts) ;)

Hope it works for you guys.. please let me know if you're still screwed up...

Attachments

• AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip
    81.8 KB · Views: 159
  • webDriverPayload_68z6s.pkg.zip
    21.4 MB · Views: 213
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back