Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
New test by me.

Deleted from "system/library/extension of ML two kext: GeForce.kext & GeForceGLDriver.bundle and replaced with same kext from lion 10.7.4.
Card used: nvidia GT 430

Results:

- popup notification working fine
- screen resolution from the best resolution to other working fine: no blue screen!
-youtube video not working: no image but only audio
- videos from apple site working fine: images and audio

Then, i presume that the final solution to this problem is getting closer. At this point, it is clear that the kext responsible for the failure of nvidia fermi card are two in native ML:

1)GeForce.kext
2)GeForceGLDriver.bundle

Sigh!:banghead: :crazy: Not another one....

any comment can help, why so aggressive? at least we search/looking for a fix, and don't tell people to buy a newer Graphic Card.

I agree, this is an issue that should get resolved eventually. But I can understand where people are coming from with just wanting to get a new card and move on. I would be lieing if I didn't say I was right there too, I just put this all together and this isn't something I really want to fight with.

I will continue to tinker around when I get time but I am pretty far behind from having a computer go down and then waiting for the parts for this one.

Good luck everyone!

any comment can help, why so aggressive? at least we search/looking for a fix, and don't tell people to buy a newer Graphic Card.

I think the post was out of frustration in that the steps mentioned have been mentioned before and the thread is getting a bit hard for a new person with the problem to search and get good information. The general conclusion is that post number 444 in this thread sums it up:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...i-sleep-wake-freeze-thread-45.html#post415520

In short, unless something changes, the 550 Ti will not work as expected. I put in a 640 and put the 550 back in the box for some future need.

I think the post was out of frustration in that the steps mentioned have been mentioned before and the thread is getting a bit hard for a new person with the problem to search and get good information. The general conclusion is that post number 444 in this thread sums it up:

I do not want to debate ... but the tests that I did not read in other pages of this topic ... so you're not so careful: it will be because you already have a nvidia GT 640. In any case, this thread is to solve the problems between ML and nvidia card prior to 640. Then, all tests are welcome.If you already have a nvidia 640, comments in this thread are perfectly useless.
In fact, in this discussion we look for solutions other than the simple purchase of a new nvidia card to solve the problems with ML.
Therefore avoid unnecessary and unproductive comments!

Regards.

I do not want to debate ... but the tests that I did not read in other pages of this topic ... so you're not so careful: it will be because you already have a nvidia GT 640. In any case, this thread is to solve the problems between ML and nvidia card prior to 640. Then, all tests are welcome.If you already have a nvidia 640, comments in this thread are perfectly useless.
In fact, in this discussion we look for solutions other than the simple purchase of a new nvidia card to solve the problems with ML.
Therefore avoid unnecessary and unproductive comments!

Regards.

Chessa, if you read this topic from the begginning, you will notice that many users tested the same thing that you have tested. In fact, about 1 or 2 pages back another user tested the same thing, deleted ML kexts and replaced with Lion kexts. Also, we all already know that GeForce.kext is causing the problems, but you simply cannot replace it with the Lion version, because it is so different that ML does not load it and then you have a working system but without 3D acelleration, like if you were booting the system in safe mode.
The comment from katiebug2u is understandable, because she readed the full thread and responded this same thing to many users, including the one 1 or 2 pages back, so I think that you all should know from now that replacing Mountain Lion kexts with Lion kexts does not resolve anything on this particular problems with 550ti or alikes.

I am very annoyed by this kind of discussion. And since we already knew from the outset of the whole thread is pointless for me to continue to pursue testing.
I hope that eventually someone will solve the problem .... Otherwise patience.
Over and out .... Best regards...:)

P.S: today i have pointed out the problems between the fermi Nvidia card and Mountain Lion in Apple Support Communities board.

Think I'm going to bite the bullet and order a GTX 560 ti, just need to decide which one.

My evga GTX 550 Ti SC wasn't even entirely stable in Lion, got the occasional system freeze, so not much point going back to Lion. Shame though, card works well enough in Ubuntu.

I am very annoyed by this kind of discussion. And since we already knew from the outset of the whole thread is pointless for me to continue to pursue testing.
I hope that eventually someone will solve the problem .... Otherwise patience.
Over and out .... Best regards...:)

P.S: today i have pointed out the problems between the fermi Nvidia card and Mountain Lion in Apple Support Communities board.

Hi Chessa. Sorry about the discussion, I thinked about it and I got your point: it's hard for a new user entering this thread to find info about the problem without having to read an enormous amount of text contained on 48+ pages, so any information and tests would be handy. Please, understand that for the users here from the beginning of this topic, sometimes is annoying to see new replies and read that replies hoping for a solution only to end reading things about tests that we already did and comment about it. But when I think about it, that same information about a test, even if it's repeated, could save time and effort to another user entering this thread in search for a solution to the problem.

And about your submission to Apple Support Communitied Board, I see that not only you but many people even with real Macs (not hackintosh) are having problems with Fermi cards and Mountain Lion, so I hope that a solution would be found soon.

I am not sure if anyone has tried the bootplag of npci=0x2000. I remember when I couldn't get Lion installed on my GTX 460 I used this. It wouldn't boot otherwise. I realize we currently use npci=0x3000. I am not sure what the difference is and if it would help. I have the EVGA GTX 550ti misreporting my VRAM and getting freeze ups. Quick solution that I found is to disable energy saver and keep your video card outputting. I realize this is somewhat of a waste of power, but it does help my build from freezing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back