Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were there any reported issues with the GTX 560? I honestly can't remember

well here is the trick.... after clean installation boot with PCIRootUID=0 -x and then after going to the screen... install user dsdt and then system permission repair something like that

after that installation restart ur computer and when u are into ur screen without any boot-lag .. then install ssdt and usb 3 and then reboot ur system.. after that install ur network driver and then u are good to go..

I have done these steps and finally got my graphic card working without any issues.. i have been on mountain lion for like a week.. and i dint get anything to force close or spinning wheel or even freeze.

I have a clean install of mountain lion that will only boot with PCIRootUID=0 from unibeast USB drive. I havent multibeasted the drive yet because I wanted to find out what kexts you used, what your chameleon.boot.plist (or whatever) and smbios settings were.

I also wanted to find out what dsdt edits your making, I am not supposed to need a dsdt as sleep works natively.

A couple other notes:
The card is recognized in the installer because I get normal resolution. No opencl but I don't think that happens in the installer anyway but the interesting note is that sleep does work. I left the installer sit for a couple hours and my computer was asleep. I got worried and pushed the power button to wake it. Worked perfect and installed successfully after that. So as another user had discovered by using the lion kexts is that the issue seems to be linked to graphics acceleration.

Once mountain lion installed and I rebooted from unibeast USB to new install graphics card was at full resolution with acceleration already without doing anything. So let me know what your multibeast, dsdt, chimera, and smbios settings are.

I thought I read tonymac is having the same issue, I wonder how he's doing on a solution? I don't really wanna sell my card, sounds like a hassle.

I think I wanna try using lion nvidia kexts like another user had a little success with but without OpenGL but I wanna try the multibeast OpenGL kext for nvidia 5xx 6xx cards and see what happens. I'll report back with any success.

OK, i have Good News & Bad News

Since ML was released i have try to find the issue for the nVidia Problems. Now i can confirm definitive:
Replacing "GeForce.kext" & "GeForceGLDriver.bundle" with those from 10.7.4 & repair permissions (very important) works!

Good News:
I have now:

Turning Off/On Monitor: - Works! - No Blue/White Screen anymore.
SleepEnabler Sleep/Wake: - Works! - No freezed Window anymore. (Do not Overclock your Machine, otherwise your Machine will not wake up back, but crash and CMOS will reset). Important is that the BCLK is set to default. in my case the BCLK is 133.
Youtube: - Works! Fullscreen & back, no problem
Justin.tv: - Works! Fullscreen & back, no problem

Bad News:
i have now:

OpenGL is not supported: - That means most of all Apps or Games are not running.
iTunes Visualizer: - Not Working
VLC Player: - Not Working! - Following message appear by opening a video "OpenGL is not supported"
Games: - Not Working! - Black Screen or crash back to desktop. (All Games)

So, what we have learned now: - This is a Driver issue!

1. That it's very important that the System runs with "default" BCLK, (in my case 133), otherwise your System will not wake up back, but "crash & CMOS will reset".
(that had nothing to do with 10.7.4 "GeForce.kext" & "GeForceGLDriver.bundle" the "crash & CMOS reset" also happens with the original ML ""GeForce.kext" & "GeForceGLDriver.bundle", so remember to set BCLK in Bios to default. to prevent "Crash & CMOS issue".

2. That the "GeForce.kext" & "GeForceGLDriver.bundle 10.7.4" fixes the Turning Off/On Monitor Issue.
3. That the "GeForce.kext" & "GeForceGLDriver.bundle 10.7.4" fixes SleepEnabler Sleep/Wake is issue.

In other words, the "Blue/White screen & SleepEnabler" issue is solved now, but there is no "OpenGL", and we know, "OpenGL is really needed"

So now we need someone with magic hands to get inside either "GeForce.kext" & "GeForceGLDriver.bundle from 10.7.4" and activate "OpenGL". Then we are able to replace those with the Mountain Lion one's, and it will work.

Only to let you know:
What is also have noticed, is that i Need to overclock my Hackintosh. if i Run my system with BCLK 133 (default) i got a very strange noise from my Hackintosh. This is not the case if i overclock and run with BCLK 150. So if i want or not, finally i need to run overcklocked to get rid of the noise.

I'm really looking forward for some help, as here my powers end, i'm not a coder or decoder etc... this is in others hand.

Thanks a lot.

cheers
Sorry to disappoint you guy, but if you had read my post earlier regarding the use of Lion kexts in ML, I pointed out that you can achieve all you have achieved in your post in ML by simply removing the ML Geforce.kext. It achieves exactly the same thing. Disables Nvidia Drivers completely. (Like running Windows without your graphic card drivers installed- basic funcionality only) By using the 10.7.4 Geforce kext, Mountain Lion cannot load the kext, so it ignores it - basically the same as just deleting it. The new ML GeForce kext is so different from the Lion kext. As for GeForceGLDriver.bundle, it is basically the same in ML as in Lion. The function of the GeForceGLDriver.bundle kext basically achieves the same for both versions - but is rendered useless without the supporting Geforce kext... You can also achieve the same thing by booting -x (safe mode- it disables the Nvidia drivers too) But yes, we pretty much have figured that the Geforce.kext is the root / part of the problem if you go a few pages back.

To add, it's not only OpenCL & OpenGL that will not work if you do what you are doing. QE / CI will also not work, which is basically the core of the ML GUI. Pretty pointless running ML without QE CI at the least, just to get Sleep / Wake working LOL!:crazy:

ok I tried the kexts changes in MultiBeast mountain lion for my Gigabyte GT 450, and no change, it works, but you can not make it sleep or freezes the computer if you change the resolution blue screen
I also notice on my hack that could be displayed over the monitor icon in the menu bar ....
I did some tests and OpenGL and OpenCL it worked
I think it's the same problems with the 5xx
there is there a solution for the 450 GTS??

This isn't a sleep/wake issue for the computer, only the graphics card. I believe it comes out of sleep ok, but then the graphics freeze – I need to check whether you can still ssh in after the wake and freeze, haven't tried that yet...

Point being the existing sleep/wake fixes which are aimed at the motherboard won't make any difference. It's the graphics card we need to deal with.

This isn't a sleep/wake issue for the computer, only the graphics card. I believe it comes out of sleep ok, but then the graphics freeze – I need to check whether you can still ssh in after the wake and freeze, haven't tried that yet...

Point being the existing sleep/wake fixes which are aimed at the motherboard won't make any difference. It's the graphics card we need to deal with.

Pretty much it! Most times the OS is still running even though the display is frozen. On occasions, I have managed to minimize a game that caused the black screen by hitting F11 or F12. After maximizing the game again, it worked. But that ahs only happened 2 or 3 times. But wake from sleep mostly causes the entire system to freeze. Although, Consol will keep logging the same errors over and over for as long as the machine is left on. So this is definitely a driver issue as opposed to a hardware issue.

This is why I mentioned that the solution can only come from Apple or Nvidia - if it ever does - I am doubtful, seeing as the GPUs affected (GF108 & GF116) are not in the range of cards supported by Apple anyway. They have nothing to gain by changing their drivers to suit a hackintosh community. The only alternative is that some programmer genius re-works the Geforce drivers to support these 2 Fermi GPUs. Also unlikely though. We will just have to be more selective when choosing the right hardware, as all the codeing geniuses in the hackintosh scene seem to have abandoned the usual forums because a lot of their work gets stolen and rebranded by individuals who try take the credit for all their hard work.

What makes the 550 ti so odd? If multibeast 5 allegedly fixes a lot of other fermi cards why not the 550? And if fermi is not native to ML why is it that only a few fermi cards have problems? We can only guess but I'm starting to think it is a bad bet to sit on a 550 ti waiting for a magical fix that might never happen while our systems are unstable. Shame there is no other ML compatible card with the same performance/price range.

I tried the AGPM edit it does not work or fix anything :( i sold my 550ti and got a 560ti and it runs sweet for over 1 week now. And the new multibeast does not support the 550ti :( good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back