Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great build. Thanks for putting in the time and effort to work out the details.

I'm building a Hackintosh for basically the exact same purposes, but it looks like the R4E motherboard is very tough to come by these days. Do you have any suggestions of similar boards which you would suggest? I work with R3Ds a lot, but mostly ProRes 4444 converted to ProRes 422.

At somepoint down the road I'll probably add a second graphics card, a Thunderbolt card— maybe even a Red Rocket but that likely depends on performance of the graphics cards. They feel less necessary these days. Do you feel ATX Extended or the WS size boards are necessary?

Also, somewhere you recommended the P9X79E-WS. This looks like it will have enough space for whatever I would need to add, but it is also one of the pricier motherboards I've seen at close to $600 shipped.

If you were building a rig like this for yourself right now, which motherboard would you choose?

Thanks,

Hi there,

I can confirm this guide works great, I have just built the same rig with the same motherboard/cpu/gpu combo. Not sure which country you're in but here in the UK the R4E seems to be in stock in most of the places I searched for. Mine came next day after ordering. Not sure how available it is in other countries though but it might be worthwhile continuing to search for this board. I can't fault it so far.

Ah, I do have one tiny snag that you might be able to help with;

I have installed FakeSMC + Plugins for HWSensors. It detects all the sensors, however; the core temps read 190C idle and go down under load, so it looks like something is backwards re sensor data.

As I said in the previous post though, truly superb guide. Had a few little glitches at first due to tiredness and not RTFM'ing, but on closer inspection all sorted.

This issue is purely cosmetic now as the Intel temperature tool reports the core temps directly.

Do you have any idea how to sort this though? Would be nice to nail this tiny fault!

What graphics card was displayed?

This is what is displayed with the SSDT-1 on the EFI boot drive

Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 12.01.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-07-01 at 12.01.38 PM.png

Hey Shilohh! Hey guys!

I have a RIVE Asus x79 Board with the 3930k Chip. Tried to install with Clover and it worked flawless last time, now one of my hard disks failed and i need to reinstall everything.
I have the ultimate BIOS 4902 and it gets only to the verbose mode boot and after that enters in a sleep screen, black screen. Seems like my Nvidia EVGA GTX 680 4GB does not send signals in that moment. Now it seems weird as it worked all so well before! Any hint how to get it going on the actual bios? Which bios settings are you guys using, which boot flag might get me into the installer? When i boot into safe mode in clover it just restarts the machine. .. Ideas? Thanks for the great guide!

Hey Shilohh! Hey guys!

I have a RIVE Asus x79 Board with the 3930k Chip. Tried to install with Clover and it worked flawless last time, now one of my hard disks failed and i need to reinstall everything.
I have the ultimate BIOS 4902 and it gets only to the verbose mode boot and after that enters in a sleep screen, black screen. Seems like my Nvidia EVGA GTX 680 4GB does not send signals in that moment. Now it seems weird as it worked all so well before! Any hint how to get it going on the actual bios? Which bios settings are you guys using, which boot flag might get me into the installer? When i boot into safe mode in clover it just restarts the machine. .. Ideas? Thanks for the great guide!

I have just done this build and got the same issue as you. Stumped me for a few hours and I couldn't find a solution online so ended up testing various boot args, smbios settings etc and the solution for me to get the installer to display rather than display sleep was to change the smbios settings from MacPro6,1 to MacPro5,1 in clover just before booting the installer. That was the only thing for me that fixed it and I tried all sorts. Once you've completed the build it will boot again with MacPro6,1 set.

I have just done this build and got the same issue as you. Stumped me for a few hours and I couldn't find a solution online so ended up testing various boot args, smbios settings etc and the solution for me to get the installer to display rather than display sleep was to change the smbios settings from MacPro6,1 to MacPro5,1 in clover just before booting the installer. That was the only thing for me that fixed it and I tried all sorts. Once you've completed the build it will boot again with MacPro6,1 set.

I lost an enormous amount of time on this problem today -- I was absolutely confounded over what was going on! Now I can get into the installer again. Thanks much -- Erik

Hi there,

I can confirm this guide works great, I have just built the same rig with the same motherboard/cpu/gpu combo. Not sure which country you're in but here in the UK the R4E seems to be in stock in most of the places I searched for. Mine came next day after ordering. Not sure how available it is in other countries though but it might be worthwhile continuing to search for this board. I can't fault it so far.

For anyone interested there are still a few online sites that have the RIVE New, not used or refurb, in stock in the USA.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28792456

http://www.pcrush.com/product/Deskt...xtreme-Intel-X79-8-x-DIMM-4-x-PCI-Motherboard

Price is right around $440. Not sure if Newegg or Amazon will restock with new boards but keep
checking there as well. May also be a few new RIVE's on Ebay.com that sell for slightly less. The
returns there may not be as easy though if you get a defective board. Read the fine print.

For anyone interested there are still a few online sites that have the RIVE New, not used or refurb, in stock in the USA.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28792456

http://www.pcrush.com/product/Deskt...xtreme-Intel-X79-8-x-DIMM-4-x-PCI-Motherboard

Price is right around $440. Not sure if Newegg or Amazon will restock with new boards but keep
checking there as well. May also be a few new RIVE's on Ebay.com that sell for slightly less. The
returns there may not be as easy though if you get a defective board. Read the fine print.

Thank you so much for locating these. I've gone ahead and ordered one, since my P9X79 is taking its sweet time and this was about the same price. I'm going to assess my needs and may just follow this build specifically, rather than the one I'd posted in the other thread.

Many thanks, I was having trouble finding availability.

Glad to see everyone getting things sorted. :thumbup:

Thanks DefJam! Good find. There must be an issue with the newest build of clover. I'll change the USB installer's config.plist to 5,1 to deal with this. I guess clover is still having growing pains.

Thanks trs96!

Hey Salderos, any luck with the last ssdts I posted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back