Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the nvidia string to false and I still couldn't get through. The verbose was a little different, but I'm still getting that SMC ERROR if that has to do with anything. From what I've been reading in other forums, I've found that a modified kernel or things of that nature are making things work? What are your thoughts on that? Within the Verbose, It also says "Power management may be incomplete or unsupported". Would that have anything to do with this?

Also, I did look at Asus's website for the ram and this was the exact ram they recommended for this board.

Honestly, I'm a day away from just putting Windows on this thing. I would really hate to just give up on this ha. This is my first computer build, period. So I'm just trying to dig in every place possible to make this work, so I apologize if this is becoming a burden to you guys.

Attachments

• photo (13).jpg
    photo (13).jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 187
I changed the nvidia string to false and I still couldn't get through. The verbose was a little different, but I'm still getting that SMC ERROR if that has to do with anything. From what I've been reading in other forums, I've found that a modified kernel or things of that nature are making things work? What are your thoughts on that? Within the Verbose, It also says "Power management may be incomplete or unsupported". Would that have anything to do with this?

Also, I did look at Asus's website for the ram and this was the exact ram they recommended for this board.

Honestly, I'm a day away from just putting Windows on this thing. I would really hate to just give up on this ha. This is my first computer build, period. So I'm just trying to dig in every place possible to make this work, so I apologize if this is becoming a burden to you guys.
No burden. I'm happy to help.
The ram might be fine but it is NOT on thier QVL. "dmos has arrived" is where the system stopped loading and ram doesnt apear to be a factor at this point (according to your pic).

A patched kernel is not necessary for IvyBE after 10.9.2. DMOS freezes are related to fakesmc or graphics. Is it possible you messed up step 3a? Also note that the NVDA stuff are the graphics kexts. I'll post a video of my systems verbose while loading and you can compare.

If you like, record a readable video of your verbose output. Keep the recording going for 5 min (sometimes something else will pop up after a few min) after it freezes and post it to YouTube. Send me a link and I'll watch it tomorrow and try to help you better.

I've followed your guide to the T so far with trying to get my new 4930k and Asus Rampage iv Gene going. I'm stuck at trying to install. It boots, but after the apple logo and spinning loading icon the monitor goes to standby. This is the first time using Clover, any ideas?? Btw, I'm using an Asus gtx770 for my gnu and have tried clover, unibeast and both get the same problem with monitor going into standby mode. I can get it going with Unibeast but the response if really slow and laggy. A lot of stutter when using app and moving windows.

Update : So i can get it to boot using GraphicsEnabler=On but that makes the OS almost unusable and annoyingly slow. I'm tempted to scrap the entire Mac OS all together but that leaves me with a Windows\Linux box in an Apple case. :banghead:

long time listener, first time caller.
thanks so much for the excellent write up. i followed it to the letter, but i cannot get my board to recognize my usb mouse or keyboard at all. they work fine when the OS is loaded, but it will only recognize a PS/2 keyboard during BIOS, and then it won't use it after the OS is loaded. i've tried everything i can think of, but nothing is working! running the latest BIOS version and reset the CMOS 3 times and still nothing works. it recognized an old dell USB mouse the first time i set up the BIOS, but now that doesn't work anymore either. i know there's a specific USB port i need to use, but none of them seem to work at all.
any ideas?

shilohh,

you may recall helping me with some sound issues when i tried to do a RIVE i-3960 build last august. the build ran just fine, but no sound. turns out i had one of the RIVE mobo with a bad sound chip. i returned it to asus. you'll get a kick out of this. they flashed the bios and sent it back. didn't even test it. of course, no sound. to be sure that i didn't have a repeat experience, i did the deal where i paid for a new board and they refunded the purchase price upon receipt of mine. that was a good experience and the new board works great. however, i ran out of time during the school year and ended up building win7/win8.1 machines as a dual boot box using two SSD.

all of this to say, i am gearing up for another hack attack this summer. plan to use all the same components. was in the local big box today and scored a Samsung 840 EVO 500gb for $229. (sale ends today) going to leave the existing Samsung 840 EVO 240gb as win 8.1 and the existing Corsair Force as win 7. the 500gb will be for OSx.

the question: will your guide -- VERY WELL WRITTEN, BTW -- work for my i-3960 chip?

thanks in advance,

aznewt

@aznewt,
Yes you should be able to use this guide but you'll need the AICPUPMSandE kext from my speedstep guide to get speedstep working. You can also follow MK500's if you prefer chimera/chameleon.

long time listener, first time caller.
thanks so much for the excellent write up. i followed it to the letter, but i cannot get my board to recognize my usb mouse or keyboard at all. they work fine when the OS is loaded, but it will only recognize a PS/2 keyboard during BIOS, and then it won't use it after the OS is loaded. i've tried everything i can think of, but nothing is working! running the latest BIOS version and reset the CMOS 3 times and still nothing works. it recognized an old dell USB mouse the first time i set up the BIOS, but now that doesn't work anymore either. i know there's a specific USB port i need to use, but none of them seem to work at all.
any ideas?
Make sure you have USB set to partial or full initialization in the fast boot section of the BIOS

http://www.tonymacx86.com/members/shilohh/albums/erics-bios/89854-140405043258/

Shilohh,

Did you have any problems getting to the installer screen after your initial boot up? I'm using the Rampage iv Gene with a 4930k and can only get Mavericks installed if I'm using GraphicsEnabler=Yes during boot up. Then the system is slow and the windows start tearing/ghosting really bad (if thats the word I'm looking for?)

Shilohh,

Did you have any problems getting to the installer screen after your initial boot up? I'm using the Rampage iv Gene with a 4930k and can only get Mavericks installed if I'm using GraphicsEnabler=Yes during boot up. Then the system is slow and the windows start tearing/ghosting really bad (if thats the word I'm looking for?)
It sounds like there is some issue with the card being recognized by OS X. Possibly an issue with Asus's vbios. Can you save me a ioreg from iojones or ioregistry explorer? Also try load vbios from clover and inject edid.

As I remember, Eric's EVGA worked fine with or without inject nvidia.

EDIT: If you're using chimera as the bootloader, that could be a problem. I know Mac Man released an update that is supposed to address the IvB E problems but I haven't tested. Try the newest chameleon instead of chimera or you should be able to use inject nvidia true in clover.

@shilohh,

my only preference: a guide with current documentation that is consistent with the current versions of the utilities used. seems like yours satisfies the requirement(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back