Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threw some Alexa files I had into Resolve 10 lite for testing purposes, to see what kinds of output speeds I get with the new hardware.

1080 ProRes 4444 LogC source material @ 23.98, shot with Hawk 1.3x anamorphic primes

Output from resolve with 2 nodes. 709 LUT on first node, basic lift-gamma-gain correction on second node. Output sizing to correct aspect ratio. Output format 1080 ProRes LT @ 23.98.

80-90 fps variable. Pretty big performance leap from my Quadro 4k Mac on my MacPro.

92981-video-cards-installed.png

92982-resolve-780ti.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
New NVIDIA web drivers available today.

Did the update on my main machine and all is well.

10.9.3 Combo Update + New NVIDIA Web Drivers and, for my install, a quick MultiBeast re-install of Audio and all is great!

Should also note that my iMessage continues to work wonderfully after the update and my Users folder was *not* hidden on me as some reported. (obviously easy to fix even if it had been).

Have you tested any performance yet? If so, is there any improvement? :)

I booted it in verbose mode and it seems that I keep getting an ERROR when the SMC line comes up. I have no idea what this means, but maybe you guys can shed some light on it? Thanks!
The important part to note in your image is dmos has arrived which is usually related to graphics problems. Try changing the inject nvidia string to false in the config.plist using text edit. Also, a quick google of your ram brought up allot of posts from people saying that that ram has issues with x79. X79 and the r4e in particular are very finicky about what ram you use. Please read the rog forum ram guide I linked to in the OP.

Originally Posted by BluewaterVA
Anyone know how to get a new installation of win 8.1 to boot from clover? Win & Mac are on separate drives. I don't want to mess up OSX. Win doesn't appear to be uefi?

Thanks
Forget it!
I haven't booted winblows in over a year so I figured someone else here was better qualified to answer you. Also if you read up earlier posts you'll see your question has already been answered.

Don't be mad. We all donate our time here in the spirit of community. None off us are your customer support staff.

I haven't booted winblows in over a year so I figured someone else here was better qualified to answer you. Also if you read up earlier posts you'll see your question has already been answered.

Don't be mad. We all donate our time here in the spirit of community. None off us are your customer support staff.

Shilohh, You totally misunderstood my saying "Forget It". I am so appreciative of your and others help. I would never take it for granted that you are a customer support staff? Please... give me a break!

The reason I said "forget it" was because I found the answer on another websites thread. I had to make a USB boot drive for windows 8.1 so that it would be seen as UEFI.

I am truly sorry for any misunderstanding.

Thanks, with my highest regards!

PS: Any comments on the new version of Clover? I am thinking of making a new Install USB to use with another drive. Is that a good or bad idea?

@Bluewater,
Sorry I misunderstood.

You should be able to select your windows drive from the clover GUI if you installed windows as UEFI.

Boot or reboot holding down the space bar (because I have time out set to 0) to reach the GUI and your windows drive should be there as an option. If it's not I may have set the dive hiding inappropriately for win booting and that may need to be modified in the config. Please let me know.

The important part to note in your image is dmos has arrived which is usually related to graphics problems. Try changing the inject nvidia string to false in the config.plist using text edit. Also, a quick google of your ram brought up allot of posts from people saying that that ram has issues with x79. X79 and the r4e in particular are very finicky about what ram you use. Please read the rog forum ram guide I linked to in the OP.

Thanks for the Tip. I'll try that out. Also, that ram is in the recommended list for this kind of board, so I don't know why it would cause problems. Someone needs to change that if this is an ongoing thing.

Thanks for the Tip. I'll try that out. Also, that ram is in the recommended list for this kind of board, so I don't know why it would cause problems. Someone needs to change that if this is an ongoing thing.
The ones linked to in the buyers guide appear to be compatible with x79 however they are not on Asus's qualified vendor list and that's what I would go by before anything else. That is why I recommended everyone read the ROG forum RAM guide if they wanted different RAM than what I used. You'll also notice there are no Asus boards in the buyer's guide here. The ones from the buyer's guide may be fine and they are probably on Gigabyte's QVL. However, one of the Ballistix models are not compatible with x79 at all and are causing no POST for X79 boards. Also some of the Vengeance kits have been causing trouble.

@Bluewater,
Boot or reboot holding down the space bar (because I have time out set to 0) to reach the GUI and your windows drive should be there as an option.

As I did have trouble with W8 in the first place, here my 2 cents.
Very short: you must install the x64 version of windows in "uefi mode" to "use" it in clover.

1) Make an UEFI USB boot stick under Windows
insert USB stick :)
start 'diskpart.exe' and then type
list disk
select disk 5 (--> for '5' please use the number of your USB stick from the 'list' command)
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format quick fs=fat32
assign
exit

2. copy the content of your windows 8.x x64 ISO to the USB stick
xcopy x:\* y:\ /s /e (--> please set 'x' for 'this is wher your ISO content is' and 'y' to your USB stick)

In case the install.wim file you are using is bigger then 4GB (mine now contains updates) and the xcopy command is not working, here is how you can proceed. Note: this is only working under windows >= v8!
md c:\temp\wim
cd c:\temp\wim
robocopy x:\sources c:\temp\wim install.wim
dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:c:\temp\wim\install.wim /SWMFile:c:\temp\wim\install.swm /FileSize:2500
del c:\temp\wim\install.wim
robocopy x:\ y:\ /e /s /R:0
robocopy c:\temp\wim\ y:\sources\

3. set all bios settings as told in post #1 this ensures you will boot in UEFI mode

4. Use the USB stick you just created to make a fresh install of windows to a separat, clean drive

You should now be able to choose windows in clover

Updated to 10.9.3 and all is well. Here is my recommended process:

1) Download the the 10.9.3 Combo Update from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1746.

2) If you want to continue using your current audio kext, Copy it to the desktop from the S/L/E folder.
Here’s a Terminal command that will do it for you.
Code:
sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext ~/Desktop

3) Install the update and restart.

4) Run KextBeast to install your old audio kext or use MultiBeast to install ONLY the audio kext.

Repaire permissions and Restart.

For GK110b (780ti) GPU user’s, the 10.9.3 requires a Nvidia Web driver update.

When the machine reboots after step 3, hold down or tap the control key to reach the clover GUI. Go to “Options” and hit enter. Scroll down to “Boot Args” and hit enter. Hit the left arrow until the cursor becomes visible in the line of boot args. Hit the right arrow until the cursor reaches the end of the line and add the flag:
Code:
nv_disable=1
Hit enter and select SMBIOS and hit enter again. Change the System definition from MacPro6,1 to MacPro5,1. Return to the 1st screen of the GUI and select you boot drive then hit enter to boot from it. Note that your system definition and serial number have changed.
Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 9.05.03 PM.png
This will disable all nvidia drives so you can boot and report that you are a Mac Pro 5,1 so you can install the new web driver.

Use the Nvidia page in Sys Prefs to update the Web driver
Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 8.50.38 PM.png
or download and install it from here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ate-graphics-drivers-10-9-3-334-01-01f01.html

All the changes you made in the Clover GUI are temporary and everything should return to normal when you reboot.
Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 9.15.21 PM.png
If the changes remain after rebooting, Terminal:
Code:
sudo nvram -c
and reboot again.

For anyone using the web drivers, The NVIDIA Driver Manager may show that the OS X Default driver is loaded when the Web diver actually is:
Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 9.33.20 PM.png
as seen here in the System Report.

If you ever want to switch back to the OS X Default driver without uninstalling it:

1) Mount the EFI partition and open /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVERconfig.plist with TextEdit. Change nvda_drv=1 to nvda_drv=0. Save.

2) Open the NVIDIA Driver Manager in System Preferences. Unlock to make changes. Select the Web driver and click cancel when prompted to reboot. Select the Default driver and reboot. If you get a black screen when your system starts, reboot again.

Repeat the process and use nvda_drv=1 again to go back to the web driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back