Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated in the original post:

"With a working GenericUSBXHCI.kext (now included) you should be able to use onboard USB 3.0 ports. However I come to expect this kext will break at a OS X update as it has in the past. If the kext breaks you will probably get a kernel panic at boot from the IOUSBFamily kext unless your ports are disabled."

With 10.13.2, GenericUSBXHCI.kext causes a kernel panic. Does anyone have a workaround for using the built in Asmedia USB 3.0 controller?

Hi folks!

I've followed the guide again and switched from 10.10 (which was working flawlessly) to 10.12 (which runs great, except for the little issues here below) but i'm having some troubles with dual displays, while in 10.10 both were working fine in 10.12 i'm facing problems with the system startup, little example:

in 10.10 - turning on the hack results in both the displays working and no issues, reboot and shutdown and restart will not result in any issue.

in 10.12 - turning on the hack results in system hang on the last phase of system loading (after the "verbose" phase, so no input on what the problem might be) if i keep both the displays connected (one is HDMI and one is on DVI) BUT if i boot up with only the HDMI display and once the os is loaded plug in the DVI one everything works fine...until i need to reboot or shutdown the system, in that case if i don't disconnect the second display i'm stuck again with the system hanging in the last loading phase..

..did anyone have any ideas on what can cause the problem?

I've followed the guide to the letter, placed the Maxwell's SSDT-1 in the EFI folder because i have a GTX 970 in the first pci slot.

Thanks for any help!

Question for PULPINEX,

Back in October, message #2796 of this thread you posted about using an adapter to use for NVME M.2 drive after doing an update on the motherboard. Could you give us more info about the "drive" you use? Is it an M.2 pcie NVME or an M.2 NVME sata? Is the adapter good for both? There doesn't seem to be any gain of speed from an M.2 NVME sata to a regular sata SSD since they are both sata. If you're using an M.2 pcie NVME what kind of transfer speeds are you getting? And is it bootable? Oh, and I just found your other thread about this specific subject but my questions are still there...

Thanks for your help on this!
Have a good day.

Last edited:
Question for @shilohh

I gave this computer away to my little cousin, and he accidentally used Mac's update for the OS. Any way to fix this? I tried to just install El Capitan over again from your instructions, but, now, when I try to boot from Mac OS (the SSD), the screen freezes after a while. Any idea what happened?

I tried a few things like changing smbios to iMac14,2, tried a couple darkwake settings, removed VoodooTSSync and GenericXHCI kexts and tried a few changes in Bios and nothing helps. I might try AptioFix2 instead of v1 to see if that helps but for me after so many boots with AptioFix2 I get some kind of crash and its difficult to get out of it. I can see the motherboard has crashed when I try to wake it, I can hear the CPU fan/System fans flutter and LEDs are flashing near the memory.

I have exactly the same issue, including blinking LEDs on the mobo. Tried so many things, but no solution so far.

Anyone has solved this?

Question for PULPINEX,

Back in October, message #2796 of this thread you posted about using an adapter to use for NVME M.2 drive after doing an update on the motherboard. Could you give us more info about the "drive" you use? Is it an M.2 pcie NVME or an M.2 NVME sata? Is the adapter good for both? There doesn't seem to be any gain of speed from an M.2 NVME sata to a regular sata SSD since they are both sata. If you're using an M.2 pcie NVME what kind of transfer speeds are you getting? And is it bootable? Oh, and I just found your other thread about this specific subject but my questions are still there...

Thanks for your help on this!
Have a good day.

Sorry for delay!
I used an M.2 pcie NVME (like the asus HYPER M.2 X4 MINI CARD)
Transfer rate about 1.6GB-2.2GB/sec (read/write, 5Gb file).
I obtained also about 3GB/sec with my nvme disk completely free.
With my modified bios I can also use my NVme disk as boot disk.
ciao
Pulpinex

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    582.5 KB · Views: 162
@pulpinex

Just curious if you're running any Adobe CC apps (i.e. Illustrator or Photoshop)? I pretty much have the same build as you except I'm running an RX 580. My issue has been constant freezing after several seconds within those apps. I'd really like to see your config.plist just so I can compare it to mine. It's been a while since I've last mucked around with my build, so I'm pretty sure my config.plist has some unnecessary text in there after all of the switching out of NVIDIA and AMD cards.

Thanks in advance.

@pulpinex

Just curious if you're running any Adobe CC apps (i.e. Illustrator or Photoshop)? I pretty much have the same build as you except I'm running an RX 580. My issue has been constant freezing after several seconds within those apps. I'd really like to see your config.plist just so I can compare it to mine. It's been a while since I've last mucked around with my build, so I'm pretty sure my config.plist has some unnecessary text in there after all of the switching out of NVIDIA and AMD cards.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but I don't use Adobe CC apps.
Only FCP and Aperture.
Attached you find my config.plist (renamed configcopia_2.plist, without serial number/board seriale number).

Please, can you attach your config.plist?
I've a problems too (sleep/wake).
:(

Attachments

• configcopia_2.plist
    10.4 KB · Views: 237
Sorry, but I don't use Adobe CC apps.
Only FCP and Aperture.
Attached you find my config.plist (renamed configcopia_2.plist, without serial number/board seriale number).

Please, can you attach your config.plist?
I've a problems too (sleep/wake).
:(

Thanks pulpinex! Hmmm, okay. I never really put my build to sleep, so I've always just used "never" in System Preferences. I did go ahead and put it to sleep and waited like 5 minutes, and everything started right up after mouse click.

I've attached my config.plist as well. Just comparing the two, I noticed they are very similar. One difference is that I used MacPro 6,1. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• configcopy_o_mega05.plist
    7.8 KB · Views: 260
I don't think it is the config that causes those wake problems, it is the hardware and some resulting incompabilities ... I noticed that all users that have similar problems seem to be using X79 based boards, for example RIVE or R4BE.

Anyone that has a similar hardware setup where wake just works? Now that would be interesting, maybe there are other factors as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back