Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I am back again. I am trying to update to macOS Sierra 10.12.5.
The install has gone pretty smoothly, but for some reason, my GPUs aren't being properly recognized, despite updating the NVIDIA drivers and using the correct SSDT(s). I have three monitors attached but only one is being recognized. Here are some stills from the system report. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 7.07.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-05 at 7.07.49 PM.png

Last edited:
First, huge thanks to shilohh for such a great/stable build.

Just an update report here. Successfully updated from 10.12.5 to 10.12.6 with ZERO issues. Audio works, iMessage, USB 3, etc.

Prior to update I did the following:

1. Backed up boot drive and EFI partition - ensured I could boot from the backup
2. Updated Clover to 4128, rebooted to ensure 4128 was the booted revision
3. Ran the 10.12.6 update directly from the App store
4. Took about 20 minutes for the update to complete
5. After the update, was presented with a dialogue to update the Nvidia Web Drivers.
6. Updated Cuda from System Prefs -> Cuda
7. Rebooted and all good to go.

About as painless as it can get!

Thinking about switching to an AMD GPU as my primary workflow is Final Cut. Anybody running this build with an AMD GPU? And, anything particular that needs to be considered prior to making the switch?

@shilohh first of all, thank you very much for your huge effort. You're a trooper!

I am having problems installing MacOs Sierra on my system. I've carefully followed each step from your excellent guide, but each time I hit the install option on the Clover options, I get a kernel panic. The problem is I am so new to this hackintosh universe, that I don't have a clue on basic stuff like diagnose errors (eg: pause the screen in the middle of the kernel panic or print the results on a file), but my two cents are on my video card.

Would someone please give me some hints?

Thanks in advance.

@shilohh first of all, thank you very much for your huge effort. You're a trooper!

I am having problems installing MacOs Sierra on my system. I've carefully followed each step from your excellent guide, but each time I hit the install option on the Clover options, I get a kernel panic. The problem is I am so new to this hackintosh universe, that I don't have a clue on basic stuff like diagnose errors (eg: pause the screen in the middle of the kernel panic or print the results on a file), but my two cents are on my video card.

Would someone please give me some hints?

Thanks in advance.

@Electroma: Is this a new build and are you doing a clean Sierra install? Or are you upgrading to Sierra from a previously stable box of Shilohh's build?

This may or may not impact your ability to install or upgrade Sierra, but I had kernel panics when I swapped out a EVGA 1080 card into my box. Upgrading from 980 to 1080. At the time, I was running Sierra 10.12.5. System would not boot and lots of kernel panics.

Long story short, I needed to update the following:

1. Mount your boot EFI partition
2. Update "CPUSensors.kext" , "FakeSMC.kext" , "GPUSensors.kext", and "LPCSensors.kext" at path: /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
(just drag, drop, and replace)

**NOTE: 1: These are kexts from the HW Monitor app. you can download latest builds at: http://hwsensors.com/releases **NOTE 2: I just grabbed the "Binaries" , download, mount DMG, and drag and drop replace the kexts outlined above on the boot EFI partition.

**NOTE 3: These kexts are included in Shilohh's download package on the 1st page of this thread, but it appears they haven't been updated in quite some time.

**NOTE 4: if you're upgrading Sierra, I HIGHLY recommend you backup your boot volume and EFI partition to another drive and ensure you can boot up before applying these changes. Better safe than sorry!

I needed to update these kexts as I could not boot (repeated kernel panics) with the 1080 card installed running 10.12.5 at the time.

I've since returned the 1080 and just dropped my EVGA 980 back into the box as I plan on going with an AMD Vega GPU. The 1080 performance impact for my workflow which is predominately FCPX was not substantial at all over my 980 card.

Subsequently, I've updated from Sierra 10.12.5 to 10.12.6 with zero issues. But, I have my 980 card back in the box.

Again, not sure if this impacts your ability to A) upgrade to sierra or B) do a fresh install of Sierra, but hopefully it points you in the right direction.

May the force be with you!

Last edited:
@Electroma: Is this a new build and are you doing a clean Sierra install? Or are you upgrading to Sierra from a previously stable box of Shilohh's build?

This may or may not impact your ability to install or upgrade Sierra, but I had kernel panics when I swapped out a EVGA 1080 card into my box. Upgrading from 980 to 1080. At the time, I was running Sierra 10.12.5. System would not boot and lots of kernel panics.

Long story short, I needed to update the following:

1. Mount your boot EFI partition
2. Update "CPUSensors.kext" , "FakeSMC.kext" , "GPUSensors.kext", and "LPCSensors.kext" at path: /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
(just drag, drop, and replace)

**NOTE: 1: These are kexts from the HW Monitor app. you can download latest builds at: http://hwsensors.com/releases **NOTE 2: I just grabbed the "Binaries" , download, mount DMG, and drag and drop replace the kexts outlined above on the boot EFI partition.

**NOTE 3: These kexts are included in Shilohh's download package on the 1st page of this thread, but it appears they haven't been updated in quite some time.

**NOTE 4: if you're upgrading Sierra, I HIGHLY recommend you backup your boot volume and EFI partition to another drive and ensure you can boot up before applying these changes. Better safe than sorry!

I needed to update these kexts as I could not boot (repeated kernel panics) with the 1080 card installed running 10.12.5 at the time.

I've since returned the 1080 and just dropped my EVGA 980 back into the box as I plan on going with an AMD Vega GPU. The 1080 performance impact for my workflow which is predominately FCPX was not substantial at all over my 980 card.

Subsequently, I've updated from Sierra 10.12.5 to 10.12.6 with zero issues. But, I have my 980 card back in the box.

Again, not sure if this impacts your ability to A) upgrade to sierra or B) do a fresh install of Sierra, but hopefully it points you in the right direction.

May the force be with you!

Thanks a lot, Vector! I'll try this tonight!

Edit: totally fresh build on a brand new SSD.

Switched from a EVGA 980ti to a Sapphire Vapor-x R9 280x card.
My daily workflow is FCPX, Photoshop, After Effects, and Illustrator (cc2017).

Obviously know the difference between Cuda optimized apps VS Open CL, but did not anticipate how much of a difference an AMD GPU makes.

Needless to say Shillohh’s build performed marginally better than my 2008 Mac Pro quad core (upgraded over the years). Had a bit of builder’s remorse set in and kept thinking something’s not right here.

Anyway, decided to pickup a Sapphire Vapor-x R9 280x gpu. It may be old, but it was $110 bucks shipped off of Ebay and I figured what the heck while I wait for Vega 64/56 to be available on the shelves.

NOTE: All the threads showing that XFX branded AMD Radeon cards have issues so stayed away and went with Sapphire.

The difference in the AMD 280x (3gb) vs the EVGA 980ti (6gb) gpu for FCPX workflow is NIGHT and Day!!!!
What was unexpected is that ALL my Adobe CC2017 apps run faster and output MUCH quicker.

1. AE renders about 30% faster which was unexpected since it’s a Cuda optimized app.
  2. Had a bug in AE. Whenever I would select the “Output Module” settings during a render, the entire app would freeze up. Resolved with AMD card.
  3. When using Quicktime to export/transcode, it would simply spit out an error. Gone with AMD card and transcodes are unbelievably quick.
  4. In photoshop, when saving for web, particularly with larger photos, the EVGA 980ti would take about 3-4 seconds (images being saved out in 4k) . But with the AMD card, it’s almost instant.
  5. And most importantly, FCPX is SIGNFICANTLY snappier and faster at background rendering.
  6. Nearly ALL MY APPS are much more responsive and snappier.

I’m not that big on benchmarking as it’s not indicative of real world daily usage, but for those that like numbers:
Bruce X Bench:

EVGA 980ti 6gb ref card: 74 seconds

AMD Sapphire Vapor-x R9 280x :28 seconds

Switching over from Nvidia to AMD GPU!!
*NOTE: This is certainly not an exhaustive guide. Just the steps I had to go through to get the AMD GPU up and running. I went with a Sapphire Vapor 280x because A) it’s cheap and B) it’s supposed to work OOB. Just a stop gap until Vega is available in supply.

Pre GPU swap installation:

1. Downloaded latest “whatevergreen.kext” - https://github.com/vit9696/WhateverGreen/releases
  2. Downloaded latest “lilu.kext” - https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases
  3. Mounted Boot EFI partition
  4. Add “Lilu.kext” and “WhateverGreen.kext” to /EFI/EFI/COVER/kexts/Other
However, when swapping out the 980ti and throwing in the 280x and rebooting, I immediately got a kernel panic.

Resolution:

1. Since I had a Maxwell card previously running, I had updated “SSDT-1.aml” from Shilohh’s Post Install download package with the version in /Post Install/ACPI/ Nvidia Maxwell (5port) HDMI GPU SSDT/SSDT-1.aml **** This version WILL CAUSE Kernel Panics when using an AMD card with Shilohh’s build!!!!

2. Went back through Shilohh’s guide and found this – see below!

Section 8d from Shilohh’s build notes:
“NOTE 1: It's best practice to have your main display's GPU in slot 1 (Always runs at x16 speed). There is a basic SSDT-1.aml in place already that will allow the GPU in slot 1 to work without HDMI and in some cases, buggy port detection with nvidia cards. This SSDT will allow a ATI/AMD card to work in Slot 1. If you have a ATI/AMD GPU in a slot other than Slot 1, or want AMD HDMI audio see this guide.”

3. Re-download Shilohh’s install package (on page 1 of this thread at the bottom)

4. Mounted my Boot volume “EFI” partition

5. From Shilohh’s ORIGNAL package, copy: /AsusX79files/Install/R4BE/EFI-CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-1.aml and REPLACE /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-1.aml *** This assumes your GPU is installed in PCI slot 1 on your mobo.

6. Unmount EFI partition.

7. Restart

8. No more Kernel Panics and 280x runs with full acceleration.

NOTE 1: Since the 280x is supposed to work OOB, I ended up removing “WhateverGreen.kext” and “Lilu.kext” from my EFI partition. The card works fully accelerated and shows up without any additional kexts. Nice!

Needless to say, for real world daily workflow and particularly Final Cut Pro X, I would HIGHLY recommend AMD over any NVidia card any day!!!

Oddly enough, I should have known better. In my 2008 MacPro quad core, I have an even older Radeon 5770 1gb card and real world performance in FCPX over the 980ti and 1080ti card was dramatic.

Like I said, I’m not one to put to much stock into benchmark numbers. At the end of the day computers are tools – at least for me – to get work done. I don’t game at all so couldn’t care less how well Nvidia Pascal cards perform at gaming.

With Highe Sierra beta’s showing native support/drivers for Vega GPU’s, I can’t imagine how much quicker these newer cards will be particularly in FCPX and Adoce CC workflows.

Hope this helps anybody ‘thinking’ about switching to an AMD gpu.

Live long and prosper!

Last edited:
vecotornine, I have a R9 280x in my 2010 Mac Pro, and I can confirm the performance you experienced. I picked the PC card up from eBay, too, and I had MacVidCards flash it to work on the Mac. The card has turned out to be one of the best buys I've made.

Awesome Vecotornine!
Thanks for the detailed report. Can't wait to test it.

Listo

Switched from a EVGA 980ti to a Sapphire Vapor-x R9 280x card. My daily workflow is FCPX, Photoshop, After Effects, and Illustrator (cc2017).

Hi vecotornine,
I've the Sapphire R9 380 4Gb and a XFX RX 480 (8Gb, with wich I did the test; not with the R9 380).
I did the switch but I've 2 problems:
- sleep: when wake up i have black screen
- at boot I've a strange view of the bios post (with artifacts, columns withe different colours, but unreadable).
Another issue is that when I connect my 6 hard disk (3 ssd + 3 hdd) boot is impossible. I've to clear the EFI partition of that disks (i'll try tonight).

Any suggestion?

What did you flag:
ACPI: FixDisplay_0100
Devices: Fake ID
Graphics: inject EDID/Inject ATI/ other?
Thx in advance
Pulpinex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back