Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi vecotornine,
I've the Sapphire R9 380 4Gb and a XFX RX 480 (8Gb, with wich I did the test; not with the R9 380).
I did the switch but I've 2 problems:
- sleep: when wake up i have black screen
- at boot I've a strange view of the bios post (with artifacts, columns withe different colours, but unreadable).
Another issue is that when I connect my 6 hard disk (3 ssd + 3 hdd) boot is impossible. I've to clear the EFI partition of that disks (i'll try tonight).

Any suggestion?

What did you flag:
ACPI: FixDisplay_0100
Devices: Fake ID
Graphics: inject EDID/Inject ATI/ other?
Thx in advance
Pulpinex

Heya pulpinex:
1. The XFX RX 480 will not work OOB. See the Radeon compatibility list here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/

2. Additionally, EVERY thread I've read about folks trying to get their XFX card working has been riddled with issues. Would HIGHLY recommend going with your Sapphire R9 380 as that card 'should' work OOB. Not sure if the XFX is a reference design, but I've read at least 100 threads on folks being plagued with issues trying to get their XFX branded GPU to work. Seems to be an issue with XFX cards all around regardless of the flavor your using.

3. I would undo any injects. Should not be necessary with the Sapphire R9 380.

4. Install whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext on your boot EFI at location: /EFI/EFI/COVER/kexts/Other

5. ***NOTE: With the Sapphire R9 280x (the card I used to switch over from Nvidia EVGA 980) , I did NOT need whatever green.kext or lilu.kext. However, I'd recommend installing the whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext first and ensure you have a bootable stable system. Then remove the kexts and test again. The Sapphire R9 280x literally works OOB. No additional kexts, injections, etc. Hence, I would assume your Sapphire R9 380 should work OOB as well.

Final thoughts:

RX 480/580 should work in High Sierra beta's OOB - at least from all the threads I've read. Also, the Radeon 580 pro is the card being used in Apple's more recent 5k iMac. However, I would STAY AWAY from XFX cards altogether. I have not read a single post where folks are able to get their XFX cards working correctly.

Not sure if this helps.

May the force be with you.

Thx for your reply vecotornine.
With my RX 480 8Gb (no, it's not the reference version) I was able working... but with a GTX 760 as help gpu card (and I've to use the nv_disable=1). But sleep won't work.

Tonight I'll try with my Sapphire R9 380.
I'll keep you informed.
Thx a lot in advance and again thx for your fast reply.

ps: I well know the post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/ but I bought the RX480 to use it in combo with the GTX 760. But now (after one week!!!) I changed idea: no more than one GPU! :)
It MUST work with a single GPU....:banghead:

Last edited:
Thx for your reply vecotornine.
With my RX 480 8Gb (no, it's not the reference version) I was able working... but with a GTX 760 as help gpu card (and I've to use the nv_disable=1). But sleep won't work.

Tonight I'll try with my Sapphire R9 380.
I'll keep you informed.
Thx a lot in advance and again thx for your fast reply.

ps: I well know the post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/ but I bought the RX480 to use it in combo with the GTX 760. But now (after one week!!!) I changed idea: no more than one GPU! :)
It MUST work with a single GPU....:banghead:

Heya pulpinex. You should NOT need a Helper card anymore. I realize that many of the threads about getting Radeon GPU working discusses 'helper' cards, but with Sierra 10.12.6 (and High Sierra betas) , helper cards are no longer required. Much of the thread out there about helper card and Radon are deprecated, especially with 10.12.6. whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext seems to remedy most issues and if the card is reference design and on the OOB compatibility list, it literally should be a plug and play switchover.

Obviously, Shiloh's original build notes focused on getting Maxwell cards to work. The only issue I had was that I had to replace SSDT-1.aml as noted in my original post.

I'm sure with some tinkering you can get the XFX card running but you'll encounter sleep issues, artifacts, etc., as you've outlined. Personally, with my hack, I just like to keep it simple - minimal kext, injects, etc. Path of least resistance is best so I don't have to spend countless hours tweaking the box. Let me know how that Sapphire R9 380 works. I would NOT use the GTX 760 as a helper card. May convolute the switch over.

EDIT: And yes. Running with a single GPU is ideal and less problematic.

Hi vecotornine
I removed ALL the following flags
- ACPI: FixDisply_0100
- Devices:
FakeID (ATI)
- Graphics:
Inject EDID
LoadVBios
Inject ATI
FB Name (Framebuffer)

And MOST IMPORTANT I removed alla the old EFI folders in all the HDD/SSD previously used (3 HDD + 3 SSD + 2 NVME Disk with adapters).

Now ALL WORK FLAWLESSY!
Luxmark shows 36 Compute Units (luxmark score: 14470)

BruceX test on FCP 10.3.4 need only 17 seconds!
WOW!
Sleep work without issue!

Thx for your suggestions vecotorine, thx to yours suggestion I removed flags and try again and again... and NOW it's all right!)

I think that the XFX RX 480 8Gb work very well, and without any issue (with the modified AMDRadeonX4100.kext)! I'm not sure if all the compute units are recognized without the modified kext.

I'll update the post removing whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext.

NOTE: I'm using a modified AMDRadeonX4100.kext (see attached).

EDIT: no look without whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext. I need this two kext! Not bad!

Attachments

• AMDRadeonX4100.kext.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 21.16.45.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 21.16.45.png
    167.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Hi vecotornine
I removed ALL the following flags
- ACPI: FixDisply_0100
- Devices:
FakeID (ATI)
- Graphics:
Inject EDID
LoadVBios
Inject ATI
FB Name (Framebuffer)

And MOST IMPORTANT I removed alla the old EFI folders in all the HDD/SSD previously used (3 HDD + 3 SSD + 2 NVME Disk with adapters).

Now ALL WORK FLAWLESSY!
Luxmark shows 36 Compute Units (luxmark score: 14470)

BruceX test on FCP 10.3.4 need only 17 seconds!
WOW!
Sleep work without issue!

Thx for your suggestions vecotorine, thx to yours suggestion I removed flags and try again and again... and NOW it's all right!)

I think that the XFX RX 480 8Gb work very well, and without any issue (with the modified AMDRadeonX4100.kext)! I'm not sure if all the compute units are recognized without the modified kext.

I'll update the post removing whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext.

NOTE: I'm using a modified AMDRadeonX4100.kext (see attached).

EDIT: no look without whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext. I need this two kext! Not bad!
That's great pulpinex! Glad to hear you got it working - particularly with the XFX RX 480. Quite a difference in workflow in FCPX huh? I reacted the same way when I switched over to the 280x card. ;-)

Edit: Thanks for putting up the AMDRadeonX4100.kext . Might help others using the same card.

Last edited:
I installed Windows 10 and Linux and OSX and HighSierra... all the disks are visible.
Make you sure that in GUI section of confid.plist nothing is selected under "Hide Volume" (see attached picture) and flag the "Scan" section as show in the attached picture.

Otherwise you can push "F8" during boot post and select the SSD volume with Windows 10.
Schermata 2017-09-15 alle 09.30.05.png
Enjoy
Pulpinex

Well still same... Will try install clean Win10 to new drive...

One more question Why my Mac drive shows up as yellow icon (external drives)
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext installed to Clover. But still not works... How to fix?

Did you disabled "hotplug" in your Bios?

Hi shilohh,

It's been a while since I wrote here. I've been running this build since the beginning when you posted this guide. It's been a solid ride and the only problems I've had is some random crashes, probably due to my bad overclocking skills.

I'm still running Yosemite with the same configuration as you posted in the beginning so I thought maybe it's time for an upgrade to High Sierra.

If you happen to have tried High Sierra on this build and stumble upon any problems that you've noticed I would be very interested to hear. This new filesystem APFS, usb functionality, sleep etc.

Thank you once again for this guide, it has helped me out a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back