Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've followed your guide for installing DSDT but didn't complete it since I couldn't extract MoBo ACPI files by hitting "F4" at the Clover GUI. When I mounted my OS partition using "Mount OS EFI" there were no files in both
EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin or EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folders. Tried also with "Mount Any EFI" and it's the same thing, both folders are empty. Do mind that "Mount Any EFI" didn't give me any choices for partition on startup, just opens the Finder with files, like "Mount OS EFI".

Tried it again now and it works, I am able to extract the files by hitting "F4" at Clover GUI. Is it ok to follow step
10) Create your patched ACPI files from your tutorial now and complete the DSDT patching? And will the R4E_DSDT_Patch_10-2014.txt work for my MoBo? (I have Asus Rampage IV Gene)

I can verify that the
HDAEnabler1.kex is present in the extensions (SLE) folder. I can delete it, but could you please clarify how to rebuild caches? Not familiar with those steps.

My guess is that you had you're USB installer plugged in and you have been booting from that bootloader. If that was the case, you will see the extracted ACPI files in the usb's folder. F4 will extract the files to the EFI of the drive that contains the bootloader you are presently using. Eject the USB installer and mount OS EFI. Verify that the config.plist contains your custom info and changes. If not, you can plug the USB back in and use mount any EFI and choose the USB installer then copy the config.plist to your desktop, eject the USB, then mount the OS EFI and copy/past the info to the correct config.

There are a few ways to rebuild caches. The easiest would be boot without caches from clover GUI but if you want to be extra safe, verify there are NO kext files on the desktop and run kextbeast (kextbeast sets the flags to rebuild caches whenever it is run whether kexts are actually installed or not). Then reboot without caches. Obviously after you have deleted the injector kext.

I'm pretty sure that I recommend which patch list to use for the R4G in the dsdt thread. At this point you can just patch the dsdt from origin and place it in patched.
Any idea what happened here?
Not sure if it's something serious, don't want to mess up my HDD.
Winblows has the option of installing as UEFI or Legacy BIOS compatible but not both. If you installed as legacy, the drive won't show as a bootable UEFI device.

I don't use paragon so I can't really comment on it. I have heard it's buggy though. I use parallels to do all my windows computing. It can be set up to mount and write to windows drives (that are connected to the virtual machine while it's running) through the finder in OS x. Down side is you have to start the virtual machine to fully acces ntfs drives. The parallels ntfs drivers have always worked flawlessly for me.

shilohh thanks so much for the great guide! Im up and running with clover with almost full functionality. I am running into two issues.

1. When my machine goes to sleep it wont wake up. Ive tried changing darkwake from 8 to 10 but no luck.

2. My OC settings don't show in HW monitor and dont seem like they are applying.

THANKS!!!:thumbup:

@jojjoj23
Thanks for the kind words. Can you please describe exactly what happens when you attemp to wake? Also, please post screenshots of all your OC settings from the BIOS. Thanks

Hi Shiloh,

I'm encoutering a problem when I do render heavy scene in cinema 4d.
My system says that I don't have enough memory and in my activity monitor my kernel task use a lot of it (see the screenshot). So I cannot finish the rendering.
I have 16 GB DDR3 crucial sport 1600mhz.

Do you know what's the problem?
On my macbook pro retina I also have 16Gb but never encountered any problem.

Do you think that buying 16GB more is the solution?

thanks a lot for you help,
Richard.

Screenshot 2015-09-09 12.19.21.png

Hi Shiloh,

My system says that I don't have enough memory and in my activity monitor my kernel task use a lot of it (see the screenshot). So I cannot finish the rendering.

Richard.
That's strange, if it runs out of actual RAM it should use the swap and indeed it appears to have done so to a degree, based on your screenshot.

How much free space do you have on your boot drive?

Edit: Mind you, perhaps this is a quirk related to Cinema 4D, but since you said it worked fine on another computer with the same amount of RAM...

Hi neofusion,

Thanks for your quick reply.
my boot drive is a 256GB flash and I still have 140GB free.

Hi neofusion,

Thanks for your quick reply.
my boot drive is a 256GB flash and I still have 140GB free.
I'm afraid I am out of ideas as to what the cause might be. 140GB free is plenty.

I suppose you could look in your console logs for error messages related to allocating memory. Swap, malloc or vm related errors would all be of interest.

shilohh,

When I try and wake the monitor doesn't turn on and I am forced to shut down the computer manually.

OC and bios photos coming soon! Thanks!

I'm afraid I am out of ideas as to what the cause might be. 140GB free is plenty.

I suppose you could look in your console logs for error messages related to allocating memory. Swap, malloc or vm related errors would all be of interest.

Hi all. I'm back home from vacation.

Regarding this issue. Is there any relationship to 32 vs 64 bits and the amount of RAM being allocated?

Hi Shiloh,

Richard.
I'm not sure if C4D has a setting to reserve a certain amount of RAM for the OS and other apps like AE does. Try digging into the settings and see what you can change. You want to reserve enough ram for OS x and any other open apps to function while rendering. I know that rendering multiple frames simultaneously in AE can cause issues if you don't allot enough ram and processor to the system. I don't know if C4D has similar multi processing setting though. Adding ram may indeed stop the out of ram error but proper function would be to write to disk when ram fills up. However, adding ram is never a bad idea for AE/C4D work. You will notice a performance increase. Be aware that Asus recommends using 1 matched kit of ram for x79 systems and not mixing kits even if they are the exact same model. Adding another 16gb kit may be a waste of your time and money if it doesn't work well (crashes the system) or it might work fine. Some users of Mavericks had issues with the same message but for no apparent reason so if you are in mavs you may try cloning and updating to yos to see if that eliminates it.

BTW, kernel task = OS X (kernel) so yes it will use a lot of resources when you are taxing the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back