Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major Revision of X99 SSDTs

Major Revision of X99 SSDTs now available on Github.

1.) Removal of _PRW dependency from most SSDTs.

2.) Unification and modification of TB-SSDTs to SSDT-X99-TB3HP.aml.

3.) GC-Alpine Ridge ASUS X99-A II BIOS settings:

View attachment 356437

4.) SSDT-X99-TB3HP.aml 100% verified with GC-Alpine Ridge and Asus X99-A II.

New sensational results:

a.) TB and USB-C HotPlug with THB_C connected!
b.) Fully sleep/wake functionality

SSDT-X99-TB3HP.aml now should be also compatible with TBEX 3 and GC-Titan Ridge. Please test, verify and report back if possible.

Enjoy and have fun,

View attachment 356436

Good morning
Did the test with all the updated guidance.
First I changed all my existing ssdt to remove the _PRW dependancy.
Tested and everything worked fine.
Then I inserted the TBX3 card, go into bios, change according to your guidance and boot with the new ssdt.

Everything shows fine in PCI devices. Looking good.

But then testing sleep:
- System goes into sleep for 2 seconds
- wake up
- hanging with black screen

So the only change I can observe is system will not sleep anymore and hang after wakeup.
I yet have to test if the immediate wakeup is due to new bios settings or the ssdt added.
I have not tested yet the TBX3 without ssdt injection.
Anyhow, it seems that the TBX3 does not work with my board.

Another piece of information I would like to share:
I tried so far the TBX3 in various ports I have available
- NB-PCIE X16_4
- NB-PCIE X16_5

I never tried NB-PCIE X16_3 since this one is currently taken by my Firewire card.
NB-PCIE X15_5 is the most bottom slot closest to the TB head plug on the board.

So the only thing different seems the different slots.

So.... what now... more testing? Abandon the TBX3?
Curious about your thoughts.

Michael

Good morning
Did the test with all the updated guidance.
First I changed all my existing ssdt to remove the _PRW dependancy.
Tested and everything worked fine.
Then I inserted the TBX3 card, go into bios, change according to your guidance and boot with the new ssdt.

Everything shows fine in PCI devices. Looking good.

But then testing sleep:
- System goes into sleep for 2 seconds
- wake up
- hanging with black screen

So the only change I can observe is system will not sleep anymore and hang after wakeup.
I yet have to test if the immediate wakeup is due to new bios settings or the ssdt added.
I have not tested yet the TBX3 without ssdt injection.
Anyhow, it seems that the TBX3 does not work with my board.

Another piece of information I would like to share:
I tried so far the TBX3 in various ports I have available
- NB-PCIE X16_4
- NB-PCIE X16_5

I never tried NB-PCIE X16_3 since this one is currently taken by my Firewire card.
NB-PCIE X15_5 is the most bottom slot closest to the TB head plug on the board.

So the only thing different seems the different slots.

So.... what now... more testing? Abandon the TBX3?
Curious about your thoughts.

Michael

You know that you always have to adopt the TB-SSDT once you plug the adaptor to a different slot? Your statement that the TBEX 3 does not work on your system is incorrect. What apparently does not work on your system is sleep/wake, and I even don’t know if the latter also fails without connecting the TBEX 3 at all.

Anyway, disable sleep and all shall be fine. I already spent much time with your issue. I would wish if you could solve all remaining issues by yourself.

Good luck,

KGP

Hello KGP

ok..... got it working....TBX3 so far stable with your latest ssd.
But this is pure craziness.

I started from scratch, reflashed bios, started with fresh EFI just to be sure.

so..... it all comes down to CPU SVID set to auto in bios.... in all other settings it will not wake from sleep with TBX3 inserted.

so KGP, your ssdt seems to work perfectly with the correct SVID setting to auto, otherwise hang with black screen on wake.

I will do further testing about longterm stability of TBX3 card.

Thanks, Michael

Reactions: kgp
Hello KGP

ok..... got it working....TBX3 so far stable with your latest ssd.
But this is pure craziness.

I started from scratch, reflashed bios, started with fresh EFI just to be sure.

so..... it all comes down to CPU SVID set to auto in bios.... in all other settings it will not wake from sleep with TBX3 inserted.

so KGP, your ssdt seems to work perfectly with the correct SVID setting to auto, otherwise hang with black screen on wake.

I will do further testing about longterm stability of TBX3 card.

Thanks, Michael

Good job, man! Well done.. and it does not work with SVID enabled and the blackscreen issue on your system is really CPU related?

Blast from the pas here. Has anyone ever used a thunderbolt LTO from mLogic on this build. I have thunderbolt working, but not at the current level of this guide. From the old method. I can chain several thunderbolt devices together and I can see them all except the LTO drive which is the first in the chain. Any hints. ... and I know how to take a punch so fire away.

Kevin

Major Revision of X99 SSDTs

Major Revision of X99 SSDTs now available on Github.

1.) Removal of _PRW dependency from most SSDTs.

2.) Unification and modification of TB-SSDTs to SSDT-X99-TB3HP.aml.

3.) GC-Alpine Ridge ASUS X99-A II BIOS settings:

View attachment 356437

4.) SSDT-X99-TB3HP.aml 100% verified with GC-Alpine Ridge and Asus X99-A II.

New sensational results:

a.) TB and USB-C HotPlug with THB_C connected!
b.) Fully sleep/wake functionality

SSDT-X99-TB3HP.aml now should be also compatible with TBEX 3 and GC-Titan Ridge. Please test, verify and report back if possible.

Enjoy and have fun,

View attachment 356436

Does this apply for Mojave and/or other motherboards?

Also here is my conversation with gigabyte regarding my Titan Ridge issue:

Question said:
I get no Video output when i Plug in my Apple Display Monitor into the GC-Titan Ridge. In addition when i connect the F_USB cable to the motherboard my CPU fan turns on even whit the entire system shut down. The latest driver is installed.

Motherboard: GA-X99-Ultra Gaming (rev1)
CPU: i7-6950x

Answer said:
Dear <User>,

The Titan Ridge is not compatible with this X99 motherboard.
It is only supported on our B360 and H370 boards with Thunderbolt header.

Best Regards,

Does this apply for Mojave and/or other motherboards?

Also here is my conversation with gigabyte regarding my Titan Ridge issue:

There is no difference between Mojave and High Sierra. If you would have read the recent updates in my x99 Mojave guide you would have found the same statements.

The standard answer of Gigabyte you might also have received in case of the GC-Alpine Ridge, which however has been repeatedly proven to work also with mainboards different from Gigabyte and chipsets different than those specified by Gigabyte.

The GC-Titan Ridge works fine with my ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe. Although, indeed I faced some incompatibility issue between it’s USB2.0 header and the onboard USB2.0 header of my X99-A II. Thus, on the latter mainboard, I could just use TB3 while USB-C was non functional.

Hi kgp
I really have to do some more testing on the weekend.... very busy with other work. I will also further check my previous statement about CPU SVID.
I saw another thing.... since I removed all other ACPI injection except for the TBX3 when I started with my clean EFI folder, I initially left out the SSDT-DTPG.dsl.
After the DTPG method back, I get the hang with black screen again after wake from sleep.
KGP, I fully trust that your solution is working 100% for the Gigabyte TB cards.... however, there seems to be something funky once the additional device properties are injected for the ASUS TBX3 card that prevents proper wake from sleep.
What I can say, without the DTPG method in place, the ACPI tree is generated which leads to USB3.1 hotplugging fully working.
I yet have to test TB, I will have a TB3 device for that next week.
My recommendation for the moment would be that it would be fair to state that TBX3 is currently not working and the other cards seem perfect with your ssdt.
Again.... more testing required from my side.
So kgp, no need to further invest any time on this from your side.... I am very happy the way the system works and will report back once I know more.
Big thanks, Michael

Hi kgp
I really have to do some more testing on the weekend.... very busy with other work. I will also further check my previous statement about CPU SVID.
I saw another thing.... since I removed all other ACPI injection except for the TBX3 when I started with my clean EFI folder, I initially left out the SSDT-DTPG.dsl.
After the DTPG method back, I get the hang with black screen again after wake from sleep.
KGP, I fully trust that your solution is working 100% for the Gigabyte TB cards.... however, there seems to be something funky once the additional device properties are injected for the ASUS TBX3 card that prevents proper wake from sleep.
What I can say, without the DTPG method in place, the ACPI tree is generated which leads to USB3.1 hotplugging fully working.
I yet have to test TB, I will have a TB3 device for that next week.
My recommendation for the moment would be that it would be fair to state that TBX3 is currently not working and the other cards seem perfect with your ssdt.
Again.... more testing required from my side.
So kgp, no need to further invest any time on this from your side.... I am very happy the way the system works and will report back once I know more.
Big thanks, Michael

I will just wait on your further feedback before committing any further changes or statements. Just take your time and investigate things carefully. Anybody is able to read about your current results and conclusions concerning the TBEX 3 within your recents posts along this thread.

Good luck, man and hopefully until very soon,

KGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back