Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there does anyone else have issues with SSD speeds? I have a Intel 750 series 1.2TB and I get 90% the write speed (1100MB/s) but only like 1/3 the read speed (~800MB/s). Anyone have any ideas to why? Everything else seems to work fine though. Props to you kgp for such a detailed guide.

On a separate note, does anyone if there is a program for scaling? I have a 4k display but if I scale it up it does this weird resolution, but it's also not as sharp as the native 4k. But native 4k text is a little small, and even 125% or 150% scaling like in windows 10 would be fantastic.

I also don't think I changed the SIP/CsrActiveConfig back to 0x67 and just left it at 0x0. Will this affect anything? I just don't want to break anything. I'll attach my EFI folder as well.

I also kept the verbose mode inject. I will remove it when everything is 100% functional.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 3.03.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 3.03.54 PM.png
    950.9 KB · Views: 100
  • EFI.zip
    33.8 MB · Views: 191
Looks good to me now, @kgp!

I updated the external NVMe icon patch for 10.13 (by simply shrinking it by one byte, so it no longer contains the struct offset that is part of the trailing instruction, hopefully also making it a bit more resilient against future updates). However, that alone didn't fix it. There's a bug in Clover where, in some situations (namely: when one of the built-in patches somehow matches the target kext, like it does with the NVMe one), user provided patches are just skipped. I hacked together a fix for that as well.

Updated Kext patch:
Code:
Name*            Find* [HEX]           Replace* [HEX]        Comment                      MatchOS
IONVMeFamily     4885c074 07808b       4885c090 90808b       External NVME Icon Patch     10.13.x

Patch applied to the Clover source:
Code:
Index: rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/kext_patcher.c
===================================================================
--- rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/kext_patcher.c    (revision 4238)
+++ rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/kext_patcher.c    (working copy)
@@ -1017,19 +1017,19 @@
    // SandyBridge-E AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement Patch implemented by syscl
    //
    SNBE_AICPUPatch(Driver, DriverSize, InfoPlist, InfoPlistSize, Entry);
-  } else {
-    //
-    //others
-    //
-    for (i = 0; i < Entry->KernelAndKextPatches->NrKexts; i++) {
-      CHAR8 *Name = Entry->KernelAndKextPatches->KextPatches[i].Name;
-      BOOLEAN   isBundle = (AsciiStrStr(Name, ".") != NULL);
-      if ((Entry->KernelAndKextPatches->KextPatches[i].DataLen > 0) &&
-          isBundle?(AsciiStrCmp(gKextBundleIdentifier, Name) == 0):(AsciiStrStr(InfoPlist, Name) != NULL)) {
-      //    (AsciiStrStr(InfoPlist, Entry->KernelAndKextPatches->KextPatches[i].Name) != NULL)) {
-        DBG_RT(Entry, "\n\nPatch kext: %a\n", Entry->KernelAndKextPatches->KextPatches[i].Name);
-        AnyKextPatch(Driver, DriverSize, InfoPlist, InfoPlistSize, i, Entry);
-      }
+  }
+
+  //
+  //others
+  //
+  for (i = 0; i < Entry->KernelAndKextPatches->NrKexts; i++) {
+    CHAR8 *Name = Entry->KernelAndKextPatches->KextPatches[i].Name;
+    BOOLEAN   isBundle = (AsciiStrStr(Name, ".") != NULL);
+    if ((Entry->KernelAndKextPatches->KextPatches[i].DataLen > 0) &&
+        isBundle?(AsciiStrCmp(gKextBundleIdentifier, Name) == 0):(AsciiStrStr(InfoPlist, Name) != NULL)) {
+    //    (AsciiStrStr(InfoPlist, Entry->KernelAndKextPatches->KextPatches[i].Name) != NULL)) {
+      DBG_RT(Entry, "\n\nPatch kext: %a\n", Entry->KernelAndKextPatches->KextPatches[i].Name);
+      AnyKextPatch(Driver, DriverSize, InfoPlist, InfoPlistSize, i, Entry);
    }
   }

I also PMed this patch to Slice, so we'll just have to see if he's going to accept it into the source.

For the impatient of you, I attached a Clover binary with the fix compiled in, in case anyone faces this issue as well and needs a fix NOW before it's merged into Clover. Just replace EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi and EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi. :)
Update: the fix is now merged into the latest official Clover distribution. The updated patch should now work out of the box.

Reactions: kgp
Hi kgp, do you also know how how to run the SSDT-NVMe-extern-icon-patch.aml file with multiple SSDs? I have 3 NVMe ssds and only my main macintosh drive shows up as internal with the rest of it showing up as external. Is there a way to do it for all 3?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 9.51.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 9.51.20 PM.png
    223.9 KB · Views: 96
Hi kgp, do you also know how how to run the SSDT-NVMe-extern-icon-patch.aml file with multiple SSDs? I have 3 NVMe ssds and only my main macintosh drive shows up as internal with the rest of it showing up as external. Is there a way to do it for all 3?

Of sure there is a way to do it for all 3.. I never tried.. However see post #701 by @athre0z !

hi, i have a noob question, started hackintosh (clover) with mavericks and after upgrading to sierra i get freeze mouse 1 second and reboots when cuda kicks in,
especially with octane rendering. my setup is i7 5960, asus x99-s and gtx1070 (i allready tested all available drivers and cuda-versions) does some have an idea what could be wrong?
would high-sierra maybe change something?

Thanks for the detailed guide! Great Work!
I' currently trying to do a fresh install and i have everything configured properly.
But when I try to boot i get into clover, boot from usb nad shortly after the PC restarts!
The last line says: Attempting system restart...
If searched a bit and droped the DMAR and MATS Table but no luck :(

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone out there with a GA-X99 board could provide some insight.

Everything is working under 10.12.6.

I did a clean install of 10.13 onto a new drive but am experiencing a "black screen" issue, even though I have an AMD Sapphire HD 7950 (and a Nitro RX 480). I have tried many variations. The closest configuration seems to be disabling the RX 480 and just using the 7950. In this situation, everything seems to boot fine and then ends in a black screen. I know 10.13 is running underneath because if I wait for about a min, VoiceOver kicks in and asks if I want to use it to set up my Mac.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Not sure if anyone out there with a GA-X99 board could provide some insight.

Everything is working under 10.12.6.

I did a clean install of 10.13 onto a new drive but am experiencing a "black screen" issue, even though I have an AMD Sapphire HD 7950 (and a Nitro RX 480). I have tried many variations. The closest configuration seems to be disabling the RX 480 and just using the 7950. In this situation, everything seems to boot fine and then ends in a black screen. I know 10.13 is running underneath because if I wait for about a min, VoiceOver kicks in and asks if I want to use it to set up my Mac.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I had to physically remove one of my video cards when facing the same problem (albeit an nVidia Titan X on an ASUS X99 mb, but ...). Couldn't hurt to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back