Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Hi Kgp,

In your guide, C.5. You mentioned "KernelPm" have to be checked, but in the image you have hi-lighted "KernelXCPM". It is "KernelPM" or "KernelXCPM" needing to be checked?

Thank in Advance.

View attachment 354835View attachment 354835

Please note that point C.5.) should properly read:

Note that on mainboards with locked MSR register, the "KernelPm" entry in the "Kernel and Kext Patches" Section of Clover Configurator must be checked and the _xcpm_core_scope Kernel patch must be enabled.

I just fixed this remnant of former guide versions, as I also removed the respective figure.

Hi to all!
I am on ASUS X99-E-WS-USB31 and I've used BIOS 3803 (latest)
And now there is NO AIC Location Group option in Thunderbolt settings.
Is there anyway to configure TBEX3 card hotplug in default SB PCIEX_02 Slot?
Now, it's only option available in BIOS. Or BIOS downgrade only?
Thank you!

Please note that point C.5.) should properly read:

Note that on mainboards with locked MSR register, the "KernelPm" entry in the "Kernel and Kext Patches" Section of Clover Configurator must be checked and the _xcpm_core_scope Kernel patch must be enabled.

I just fixed this remnant of former guide versions, as I also removed the respective figure.

I believe you got it wrong, at least for me, proper xcpm works with KernelXCPM ticked in Clover Configurator,
if I use KernelPm, my i7-5820K is stuck running at 4.3GHz

I believe you got it wrong, at least for me, proper xcpm works with KernelXCPM ticked in Clover Configurator,
if I use KernelPm, my i7-5820K is stuck running at 4.3GHz

What I got wrong?

I don’t need to check KernelXCPM!

I also don’t need KernelPM as the MSR register of my mainboard is unlocked!

All i need are _xcpm_pkg_scope and the two _xcpm_SMT_scope kernel patches!

BTW.. Don’t get confused by misleading IPG frequencies! Also watch CPU power consumption and CPU utilization.

Then demonstrate that in your case without checking KernelXCPM your cpu power consumption is constantly at e.g. 150W and your CPU utilization constantly remains at 100%, even if you don’t run some benchmarking like Cinebench, thus under CPU Idle conditions!

Do you know at all what KernelXCPM does?

I believe you got it wrong,
My friend, he is the guy who wrote the guide you followed to get your system up and running. A little bit more respect would do no harm.. And by the way, XCPM in conjuntion with Kernel patching are two of the strongest points of this guide. But that's just my opinion..

Since I'm already here, @kgp do you have any clue on when the WebDrivers for 10.14.0 will be released?

Reactions: kgp
My friend, he is the guy who wrote the guide you followed to get your system up and running. A little bit more respect would do no harm.. And by the way, XCPM in conjuntion with Kernel patching are two of the strongest points of this guide. But that's just my opinion..

Since I'm already here, @kgp do you have any clue on when the WebDrivers for 10.14.0 will be released?

uuuppppsss, Web Drivers... ;):lol:

You are still with Nvidia?

I gave up hope long time ago and changed to Radeon Vega.

Not in direct contact with Nvidia anymore either.

Thus, my friend, I am sorry but I fear that I cannot answer this question.

From my experience, Nvidia might come up with a 10.14 web driver sometimes in October this year, it will properly work sometimes in February 2019 and it will be once more useless with 10.15 public betas sometimes in June/July 2019.

Aren't you tired of this annoying Nvidia macOS policy and support? Moreover, CUDA drivers never really worked and nearly everything can be done nowadays with Metal.

I think it would be also worth in your case to consider some change.. don't you think so? ;)

Let me know about your thoughts..

Reactions: dez
I’d stick with AMD as well for hackintosh, I know some people game with their hacks on windows, but the hassle is not worth it for me, personally IMO

Reactions: kgp
uuuppppsss, Web Drivers... ;):lol:

You are still with Nvidia?

I gave up hope long time ago and changed to Radeon Vega.

Not in direct contact with Nvidia anymore either.

Thus, my friend, I am sorry but I fear that I cannot answer this question.

From my experience, Nvidia might come up with a 10.14 web driver sometimes in October this year, it will properly work sometimes in February 2019 and it will be once more useless with 10.15 public betas sometimes in June/July 2019.

Aren't you tired of this annoying Nvidia macOS policy and support? Moreover, CUDA drivers never really worked and nearly everything can be done nowadays with Metal.

I think it would be also worth in your case to consider some change.. don't you think so? ;)

Let me know about your thoughts..
Ok. But be warned, it's a long and complex explanation..

When you switched to Vega, I was using a GTX 1060 3GB. I knew it was time for an upgrade. So I started watching benchmarks on YouTube and prices on an Argentinian version of Amazon (which is crap, BTW).

A piano student of mine asked me to help him build a Hackintosh. So, of course, I said YES. He is a lot into gaming and since he was going to buy a whole PC, he didn't want to spend a lot on a 1070 or 1080. So I offered my 1060 3GB. He was pleased, and so was I. I build his PC and installed macOS on an 8600k. Everything was OK.

So I now needed a new GPU since, as you of course know, X99 does not provide any integrated graphics on the CPU. So I called the guy on the store I always buy everything and told me that he had an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2. Nice, I thought.

RTX was about to be launched, so he advised me to wait a few months. I asked for Vega. He told me he had nothing at the time... And here comes the complex part:

On the week I asked for a new GPU, 1 US dollar was equivalent to 20 AR$. Three days later, the US dollar jumped to 26 AR$. By this time I thought "Ok, it's now or never". Called the guy at the store, asked "What do you got?", he said "1080", I said "how much?", he said "750 USD", I asked "no Vega yet", he said "nope", I sadly said "Ok, deal..". And that was it..

Argentina is facing today one a hard and deep economic situation. Perhaps you heard it in the news.. It's a mess and Buenos Aires is kind of chaotic these days. Sadly, my suspicions were true, the US dollar kept rising and today it's being sold at 40 AR$. The economy here is very unstable and the country is in the sink.

So, if I had waited either for the Nvidia 20 series or for my dealer to receive some Vega cards, I probably wouldn't have been able to buy any of them by the time the got here. I would have ended up paying double for it. I could have buy a Vega card from another seller. But at the time, the dollar kept rising, I had the money and just said "this is it".

As you might already know, I am a classical pianist but also a game composer, and I do have another SSD with Windows 10 for some occasional gaming (and now for patching BIOS update files also), so an Nvidia card does come well from time to time.. It's a shame not being able to update to 10.14 right away. But trust me, living in Argentina, it's also a relief to have been able to buy any of them.

So, that's the situation that got me my new GTX 1080 FTW2 8GB. Sorry for the long explanation, but perhaps you feel like reading a story.

To answer to your questions, I am indeed tired of the stupid fight between Apple and Nvidia, of the lack of modularity, of the Nvidia solution to problem and of course of the delay for that solution to be released. CUDA drivers are dead for hackintoshing, native Metal is what all of us should be doing by now.

Now I ask for a thought from you: considering the context.. Would you go through the trouble of selling a GTX 1080 FTW2 8GB with roughly 2 months of use to buy a new Vega 64? And also, would it be reasonable considering I would have to sell it as a "used" card?

It's truly a pleasure to discuss these things with you though.

Have a nice day man,

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. But be warned, it's a long and complex explanation..

When you switched to Vega, I was using a GTX 1060 3GB. I knew it was time for an upgrade. So I started watching benchmarks on YouTube and prices on an Argentinian version of Amazon (which is crap, BTW).

A piano student of mine asked me to help him build a Hackintosh. So, of course, I said YES. He is a lot into gaming and since he was going to buy a whole PC, he didn't want to spend a lot on a 1070 or 1080. So I offered my 1060 3GB. He was pleased, and so was I. I build his PC and installed macOS on an 8600k. Everything was OK.

So I now needed a new GPU since, as you of course know, X99 does not provide any integrated graphics on the CPU. So I called the guy on the store I always buy everything and told me that he had an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2. Nice, I thought.

RTX was about to be launched, so he advised me to wait a few months. I asked for Vega. He told me he had nothing at the time... And here comes the complex part:

On the week I asked for a new GPU, 1 US dollar was equivalent to 20 AR$. Three days later, the US dollar jumped to 26 AR$. By this time I thought "Ok, it's now or never". Called the guy at the store, asked "What do you got?", he said "1080", I said "how much?", he said "750 USD", I asked "no Vega yet", he said "nope", I sadly said "Ok, deal..". And that was it..

Argentina is facing today one a hard and deep economic situation. Perhaps you heard it in the news.. It's a mess and Buenos Aires is kind of chaotic these days. Sadly, my suspicions were true, the US dollar kept rising and today it's being sold at 40 AR$. The economy here is very unstable and the country is in the sink.

So, if I had waited either for the Nvidia 20 series or for my dealer to receive some Vega cards, I probably wouldn't have been able to buy any of them by the time the got here. I would have ended up paying double for it. I could have buy a Vega card from another seller. But at the time, the dollar kept rising, I had the money and just said "this is it".

As you might already know, I am a classical pianist but also a game composer, and I do have another SSD with Windows 10 for some occasional gaming (and now for patching BIOS update files also), so an Nvidia card does come well from time to time.. It's a shame not being able to update to 10.14 right away. But trust me, living in Argentina, it's also a relief to have been able to buy any of them.

So, that's the situation that got me my new GTX 1080 FTW2 8GB. Sorry for the long explanation, but perhaps you feel like reading a story.

To answer to your questions, I am indeed tired of the stupid fight between Apple and Nvidia, of the lack of modularity, of the Nvidia solution to problem and of course of the delay for that solution to be released. CUDA drivers are dead for hackintoshing, native Metal is what all of us should be doing by now.

Now I ask for a thought from you: considering the context.. Would you go through the trouble of selling a GTX 1080 FTW2 8GB with roughly 2 months of use to buy a new Vega 64? And also, would it be reasonable considering I would have to sell it as a "used" card?

It's truly a pleasure to discuss these things with you though.

Have a nice day man,

Cheers.

I love your story.. touched my heart although talking just about electronics.. you now I am also a classical pianist although likely not as professional as you. I just play for fun... also sad to hear that Argentina is still facing a hard and deep economic situation.

Now listen..

I recently sold my used one year old Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB 11GB Xtreme edition for 699 Euros on Ebay and subsequently purchased a new Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB for 579 Euros. More than 100 Euros savings.

You know what I mean?

Even in Argentina, the dollar raised for the two cards the same way.. you could play the same game.. ;)

A nice day also to you,

KGP

Last edited:
Reactions: GDS
@kgp do you thought about replacing your Intel Core i7-6850k with a E5 2696 V3?
There's a hack which allows to turbo all 18 cores to 3.4-3.5 Ghz

Not really my friend.. I only maintain my X99 system to further support you guys here along this thread.

Anyway thanks for providing this important information to the entire X99 community.

Cheers, man!

KGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back