Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] macOS Catalina 10.15.6 on Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite and RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
@miliuco In your first post, you mentioned that you don't have DVI ports working on your RX580. Try this patch here.

Also, for Catalina, bootarg "darkwake=8" is the same as "darkwake=0" (the upper bit is not used).

I already knew about this foxbox solution to enable all 5 ports on the RX 580. From my post [GUIDE] Radeon RX 580 on macOS Catalina":

"Only 2 connectors of the 5 available work
... User foxbox has proposed a solution in the thread titled [Solved] Sapphire RX 580 Nitro + SE | black screen on HDMI and DVI. Must inject from Clover a modification to the Orinoco framebuffer (which is used in the RX 580 card) so that the 5 connectors lack a fixedly assigned address and, instead, receive it dynamically. This change is made from the KextsToPatch section of Clover.
This has to be accompanied by 3 changes in the Graphics section of Clover: Orinoco in FB Name / Inject ATI / 5 in Video Ports. I have tested this solution in macOS Catalina and it effectively enables the 5 ports of the card ... "

But now I have not tried it because with the Z390 board the 3 DP and the only HDMI work well and I don't need DVI.

You already told me that darkwake 8 and 0 are equivalent, without realizing it I wrote down darkwake = 8 which is what I was using before talking to you. I'm going to change to darkwake = 0. Thank you!!!

Nice work! I am waiting for CLOVER r5122 or later. I noticed that you are still using AptioMemoryFix.efi. I thought that CLOVER switched to OC Quirks starting with r5120. Does CLOVER r512x still support AptioMemoryFix.efi, or should we be using OC Quirks with CLOVER r512x?

Clover release 5122 published by Slice a few hours ago. In ClovyHackyColor. With AptioMemoryFix and OcQuirks.

I am surprised that it installs VBoxHfs.efi instead of HFSPlus.efi which has positive comments on the internet about its higher speed. What do you think?

(Is it off-topic? Do I open a new thread?)

Last edited:
Clover release 5122 published by Slice a few hours ago. In ClovyHackyColor. With AptioMemoryFix and OcQuirks.

I am surprised that it installs VBoxHfs.efi instead of HFSPlus.efi which has positive comments on the internet about its higher speed. What do you think?

Not sure. My primary, performance-sensitive volumes are APFS and I only use HFS for USB and TimeMachine, so HFS performance is not an issue for me. If you still have performance-sensitive HFS volumes, maybe you should experiment with both drivers?

Not sure. My primary, performance-sensitive volumes are APFS and I only use HFS for USB and TimeMachine, so HFS performance is not an issue for me. If you still have performance-sensitive HFS volumes, maybe you should experiment with both drivers?

To be honest, with USB sticks formatted as HFS+ I don't see any appreciable difference in speed either. I guess if Clover developers leave HFSplus.efi they have their reasons.

I have migrated from CLOVER r5119/AptioMemoryFix to r5122/OCQuirks. OCQuirks no longer requires a separate config.plist - the Quirks are stored in the CLOVER config.plist. See my migration steps here.

Answered in the other thread.

Published a post about USB port mapping on this board following the guide integrated into Hackintool help.

Kernel Panic with BIOS F10c if integrated graphics is enabled

The Z390 Aorus Elite board comes with BIOS F9 with which the text of post #1 has been written.
A few days ago I updated to the current version which is F10c and, since then, I have suffered a kernel panic with the forbidden symbol when going from the Clover menu to the macOS boot screen if the integrated card was enabled in BIOS. This happened regardless of whether the Intel UHD Graphics 630 card was set to Clover (fully for monitor output or headless mode for encoding) or not.
Returning to BIOS F9 the system has returned to working as before and the kernel panic has disappeared. I can have the card enabled or disabled again in BIOS without problems.

Hi! Thank you for this awesome guide…
I followed step by step your recommendations, and everything seems to work fine, except the sleep function… If I select sleep the computer turns off. Any Suggestion?

I also was unable to find the XMP Profile and the DVMT on Bios (F9 and F10c)

Intel i7 9700K
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8Gb
2 x Crucial 16Gb 3200Mhz
Catalina 10.15.6

Hi! Thank you for this awesome guide…
I followed step by step your recommendations, and everything seems to work fine, except the sleep function… If I select sleep the computer turns off. Any Suggestion?

I also was unable to find the XMP Profile and the DVMT on Bios (F9 and F10c...

Regarding the BIOS settings, you have to show Advanced mode, not Easy mode, in Tweaker tab there is Extreme Memory Profile, disabled by default, when enabled it appears Profile 1 which is for 3200 RAM.

1.jpg
2.jpg

DVMT appears if you have the graphics card Integrated Enabled, then the menu is displayed, if it is Disabled you do not see it.

About sleep, have you disabled Power Management in BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back