Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo ThinkPad T440P [OpenCore 0.5.9]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok..

worked great on my laptop

as AppleALC is much better than VoodooHDA
Well that's debatable... both my T440p and my previous Thinkpad L530 worked better with VoodooHDA and I tried LOTS of audio layouts-id and at the time patched AppleHDA with the L530.

Being an audio guy, I see the elitism among the community in the ALC vs HDA debate.
Thing is, for a high-end desktop mobo with a great audio chipset, ALC is probably better.
But those Lenovo business laptops have "bad" audio implementation, and the audio chipset is probably the cheapest thing in it, same for the audio jack. So not much quality loss to care for I guess.
I don't think the laptop integrated speakers would allow anyone to hear the difference between both kexts.

To me, there is no gain using ALC instead of HDA, since VoodooHDA works better and by tweaking the info.plist of the kext you can improve speakers volume so they are as loud as in Windows.

It was hard for me to accept that "the noob's way" is simply better than ALC for some hardware no matter how much digging you do, but in this case I agree with VinylNerd. I used BlackDragon's Alcplugfix since its release but got really pissed with the white noise.

Well that's debatable... both my T440p and my previous Thinkpad L530 worked better with VoodooHDA and I tried LOTS of audio layouts-id and at the time patched AppleHDA with the L530.

Being an audio guy, I see the elitism among the community in the ALC vs HDA debate.
Thing is, for a high-end desktop mobo with a great audio chipset, ALC is probably better.
But those Lenovo business laptops have "bad" audio implementation, and the audio chipset is probably the cheapest thing in it, same for the audio jack. So not much quality loss to care for I guess.
I don't think the laptop integrated speakers would allow anyone to hear the difference between both kexts.

To me, there is no gain using ALC instead of HDA, since VoodooHDA works better and by tweaking the info.plist of the kext you can improve speakers volume so they are as loud as in Windows.

It was hard for me to accept that "the noob's way" is simply better than ALC for some hardware no matter how much digging you do, but in this case I agree with VinylNerd. I used BlackDragon's Alcplugfix since its release but got really pissed with the white noise.
yup, couldnt have said it better myself, there is simply no reason to use AppleALC on T440P, however we do have a problem because i cant get VoodooHDA to work on 11.3, stil on 11.3 in hopes of a fix before i go back to 11.2.3

I am preparing the files EFI for my T440P that i recently got and VoodooHDA will be history once and for all for these laptops.

I did resolve the low audio volume on macOS compared to Windows and also fixed the white noise problem.
I will send my own Pull Request for ALC3232 Audio Patch into AppleALC which will have docking station support, great volume and quality and also no more white noise issues with ALCPlugFix-Swift

Installing tonight and going to fix what was left and update the guide to 0.6.8

Only remaining issues for now are:

- Docking Station Kernel Panic with display connected if sleep,reboot,shutdown attempted (expected to be problem with Apple Drivers, no support for such stuff on Mac(s)).
- SD Card Reader (to be tested and possibly fixed tonight/tomorrow)
- FingerPrint Reader (no solution, don't expect one either)
- Discrete GPU GT730M (no support for optimus graphics on macOS)

The rest will be solid and way better than current guide here, too long changelog but better wait and see in hand.

I am preparing the files EFI for my T440P that i recently got and VoodooHDA will be history once and for all for these laptops.

I did resolve the low audio volume on macOS compared to Windows and also fixed the white noise problem.
I will send my own Pull Request for ALC3232 Audio Patch into AppleALC which will have docking station support, great volume and quality and also no more white noise issues with ALCPlugFix-Swift

- Docking Station Kernel Panic with display connected if sleep,reboot,shutdown attempted (expected to be problem with Apple Drivers, no support for such stuff on Mac(s)).

The rest will be solid and way better than current guide here, too long changelog but better wait and see in hand.
perfect, i thought if anyone could solve the headphone jack issue with AppleALC it may be you. good work mate

ill stay on 11.3 and wait for now, test your EFI when you upload it :)

I just write, as always, to thank you all for your work. I don't have time (I would like) to learn to do what you do. But I really enjoy being able to use a laptop because of your effort. Thank you all!

Outstanding news. I honestly thought the white noise problem would never be solvable. Thanks for your involvement with the Haswell Thinkpad range.

Can't wait for the updated guide !

Last edited:
To-Do for tonight:
- Prepare macOS 11.3 USB Installer
- Install the T450S Touchpad
- Remove Bios Whitelist
- Install macOS Big Sur 11.3
May I ask you how did you manage to remove the whitelist and if you have done it yourself?
Also what are the pros of doing so, other than being able to use broadcom wifi cards?

I haven't done it yet, i am ok with the Intel for now as im testing AirportItlwm.

But you have two routes:
- The Youtuber Wolfgang's Channel, which is one of my T440P guide users, he made a video on how to remove whitelist on your own - Link:
- Dump it and send the bin file to bios-mods forum asking for a whitelist removal and someone will do it for you.

Personally nothing more than just being able to use whatever card that you want.
I will do it on my own this time but i am polishing the EFI for now.

I may actually buy the AX210 card with Bluetooth 5.2 and Wireless 6E.

I haven't done it yet, i am ok with the Intel for now as im testing AirportItlwm.

But you have two routes:
- The Youtuber Wolfgang's Channel, which is one of my T440P guide users, he made a video on how to remove whitelist on your own - Link:
- Dump it and send the bin file to bios-mods forum asking for a whitelist removal and someone will do it for you.

Personally nothing more than just being able to use whatever card that you want.
I will do it on my own this time but i am polishing the EFI for now.

I may actually buy the AX210 card with Bluetooth 5.2 and Wireless 6E.
One of the reasons I modded my bios was to disable the hotplug option on the ultrabay slot so macOS would recognise any storage device inside the ultrabay caddy

I wonder why they did that since the drives clearly weren't meant to be hotswapped after the haswell series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back