Graphics
GT 210
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
@Nodarkthings,

For a GT 210 I doubt WEG will be doing much, probably just ACPI renames as you have found out. WEG tends to be needed more with AMD GPU's where it will ensure all the ports are active and the correct AMD framebuffer is injected (usually a generic one) in addition to ACPI renames and patches.

So in your situation I think not using WEG wont be detrimental.

Having said that I haven't used Nvidia GPU's in hacks for a few years now, I jumped to team RED once Nvidia stoped releasing updated web drivers for Mojave so you might want to check with someone like @Gigamaxx who knows a bit more about the current state of supported Nvidia GPU's in MacOS.

Cheers
Jay
Thanks a lot! In fact I was not worrying about the GT210 but rather the headless IGPU part of the issue: when Hackintool says "VDA Decoder : Fully Supported", can I be sure it really works? — I haven't found a proper way to test it... Some say Intel Power Gadget.app, but mine (3.7.0) shows a green line for "GFX AVG" that never moves from 0.35 GHz (that is when performing the GFX0 to IGPU rename without Whatevergreen).

jaymonkey

Motherboard
GB Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10850K OC @ 5.2 GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 LC + HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Nodarkthings,

WEG does help out quite a bit with IGPU configuration, however Intel QuickSync on a Ivy Bridge CPU like yours is pretty much limited to H264 and MPEG compressed images so don't expect any assistance from the IGPU when encoding/decoding more recent codecs.

See this WiKi for a table that shows what Intel Quciksync supports on each CPU generation :-

Cheers
Jay

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
Thanks a lot! In fact I was not worrying about the GT210 but rather the headless IGPU part of the issue: when Hackintool says "VDA Decoder : Fully Supported", can I be sure it really works? — I haven't found a proper way to test it... Some say Intel Power Gadget.app, but mine (3.7.0) shows a green line for "GFX AVG" that never moves from 0.35 GHz (that is when performing the GFX0 to IGPU rename without Whatevergreen).
Handbrake and VideoProC are two free apps to test with.

look into the list of WEG boot arg as well there are several for Nvidia cards to use with WEG. Acidanthera incorporated nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext into WEG long ago but not much attention to fixes as Nvidia cards are slowly being excommunicated from MacOS.

Motherboard
GA Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GT 210
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Handbrake and VideoProC are two free apps to test with.

look into the list of WEG boot arg as well there are several for Nvidia cards to use with WEG. Acidanthera incorporated nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext into WEG long ago but not much attention to fixes as Nvidia cards are slowly being excommunicated from MacOS.
I've just tested Handbrake and iFFmpeg but none seem to benefit from IGPU... :(
https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.3.0/technical/video-qsv.html says not before Skylake, so I think I won't lose too much time on this, as I'm not often doing video conversions... :mrgreen:
Thanks anyway! :thumbup:

EDIT: Haaaa! (sigh of relief ;) ). VideoProC made the green line move in Intel Power Gadget as shown below! — and that, without WEG, just the rename. At least, I know it works, even if there's only one app that uses it. :lol:

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-04-29 à 12.01.24.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2021-04-29 à 12.01.24.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

jaymonkey

Motherboard
GB Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10850K OC @ 5.2 GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 LC + HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
VideoProC made the green line move in Intel Power Gadget as shown below! — and that, without WEG, just the rename. At least, I know it works, even if there's only one app that uses it. :lol:

@Nodarkthings,

Good to know that IGPU is working as seen by IGPU trace on Intel Power Gadget (IPG).

Intel QuickSync (IQS) is backed into MacOS ... it is part of the OS's VideoTool Box API so it's not just one app that will use the IGPU but any system service (eg: AirPlay, finder ..etc) or app. The App/Service passes the decode/encode request to the VideoTool Box API which then decides if it can accelerated on the IGPU or performed in software.

For instance using the preview function in finder on a image or video clip will use IQS if the target file is supported (H264 and MPEG image compression in your case). unless you increase the poll rate in IPG in many cases you wont see when macOS is using IQS as they can be very short bursts and IQS is very efficient.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GT 210
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
@Nodarkthings,

Good to know that IGPU is working as seen by IGPU trace on Intel Power Gadget (IPG).

Intel QuickSync (IQS) is backed into MacOS ... it is part of the OS's VideoTool Box API so it's not just one app that will use the IGPU but any system service (eg: AirPlay, finder ..etc) or app. The App/Service passes the decode/encode request to the VideoTool Box API which then decides if it can accelerated on the IGPU or performed in software.

For instance using the preview function in finder on a image or video clip will use IQS if the target file is supported (H264 and MPEG image compression in your case). unless you increase the poll rate in IPG in many cases you wont see when macOS is using IQS as they can be very short bursts and IQS is very efficient.

Cheers
Jay
Great information! :thumbup: Indeed, I've just tried the preview of a few h264 encoded files and some will create an occasional burst, some don't (even with same codec, same resolution), but it's good to know it's working when needed. Thanks again!