Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

Hey Jay! My problem with sound was caused by corrupted vanilla AppleHDA.kext. After reinstalling whole kext package sound is working again. Thank you very much for your all support!

@holypaulie,

Ahhh I should have suggested that, thats quite a common issue for some users who have used other HDA patching solutions before trying AppleALC. I always used to make a backup of AppleHDA before I switched to using AppleALC. The great thing is now you have got things working with AppleALC (and maybe the other Lilu plug-in's) you don't really have to worry about updating MacOS in the future. That said it's always worth updating Lilu and associated plug-in's before updating ....

Glad your up and running.

Cheers
Jay

Holy Moly!! Great guide, I will try this for WEG to fix my LG Ultrafine 5K Black out issues and a fake monitor showing issue.

Great guide I got my HD530 switched over to using Whatevergreen now. Thank you very much for preparing this.

A quick question. What does increasing the IGPU VRAM to 2048 MB do exactly? Does it increase performance or what's the advantage?

A quick question. What does increasing the IGPU VRAM to 2048 MB do exactly? Does it increase performance or what's the advantage?

@rgw29,

It pretty much does what it says, it increases the amount of system RAM dedicated to the IGPU to be used a Video RAM.

Increasing the amount IGPU VRAM will not have a performance benefit but it can help to reduce screen 'glitching' which can effect some systems with 4K displays, I wrote about my findings results in this post :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-intel-fb-patcher-v1-6-5.254559/page-35#post-1856964

Glad you found the guide helpful ...

Cheers
Jay

Hi ya, before I purchased RX 580 for my first build (GA-Z370m-D3h + i7 8086k), I successfully enabled IGPU acceleration by following this guide (Lilu+Whatevergreen).

I have been working on my second build currently (GA-B360n Aorus Gaming Wifi + i3 8100) and I tried using the very same method to enable IGPU acceleration but the screen blacks out during the booting process. It seems like the HDMI signal was lost during the booting process. This mobo has one HDMI output and one Displayport output only so I couldn’t try it with D-sub nor DVI, and my monitor doesn't have DisplayPort. I’m guessing there are some additional settings/patches needed to be done. Hope someone can help me figure it out. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• debug_21776.zip
    2 MB · Views: 117
It seems like the HDMI signal was lost during the booting process. This mobo has one HDMI output and one Displayport output only so I couldn’t try it with D-sub nor DVI, and my monitor doesn't have DisplayPort.

@York,

Sounds like you might need to customise the framebuffer ports and set the correct connector type and/or flags :-

Screenshot 2018-12-01 at 19.44.50.png
Cheers
Jay

@rgw29,

It pretty much does what it says, it increases the amount of system RAM dedicated to the IGPU to be used a Video RAM.

Increasing the amount IGPU VRAM will not have a performance benefit but it can help to reduce screen 'glitching' which can effect some systems with 4K displays, I wrote about my findings results in this post :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-intel-fb-patcher-v1-6-5.254559/page-35#post-1856964

Glad you found the guide helpful ...

Cheers
Jay
I see. After using the patch now for a few days now I do think it makes a difference. I am pushing a 27" 4K screen at 1440p retina scaled resolution on the HD 530 graphics which I think is beyond it's normal IGPU capabilities. When I test it now fast scrolling is a little more smooth and in general the animations aren't glitchy. Just when using heavier applications does the GPU start to crap itself.

Thanks again for the guide!

All the best,
RGW

IAfter using the patch now for a few days now I do think it makes a difference. I am pushing a 27" 4K screen at 1440p retina scaled resolution on the HD 530 graphics which I think is beyond it's normal IGPU capabilities. When I test it now fast scrolling is a little more smooth and in general the animations aren't glitchy.

@rgw29,

Sounds like your results with the 2GB IGPU VRAM patch in place echo what I've seen.
It's good to get confirmation from another 4K user that it does indeed help ...

Glad you found the guide useful, thanks for the feedback.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the guide JayMonkey. I may be wrong but wasn't originally a usb fixing guide some time ago too on the list?

Hello Guys,
I have tried to install Lilu.kext, AirportBrcmFixup.kext, BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, BrcmPatchRAM2.kext, but none of the kexts are loading. I am on Mojave 10.14 and have tried using kext beast and terminal to install the kexts to /Library/Extensions. I have also repaired permissions using Kext Utility and have used terminal as well. My SIP is disabled, 0x67. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
@jaymonkey

Back