Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

A reinstall on top of the existing system should fix the issue.
Make sure you have a backup first .... just incase ...

Cheers
Jay
so I did a fresh install of Mojave, and everything is working now, I tried doing an install on top of my existing install but then it wouldn't boot, but now all kexts are loading up fine and Wifi + BT are working perfectly.

Thanks

@rishi44,

As I suspected it sounds very much like your MacOS install had got corrupted ..
Glad your up and running now.

Cheers
Jay

I tried to follow guide for DGPU + IGPU - got 2 displays connected to main Nvidia -
Choosed headless configuration using FB-patcher with 0x59120003
FB-patcher added : <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key> - (added to config.plist but not as per guide)
I noted :
- IGPU not shown in DPCImanager status (whereas it is shown when using 0x59120000 - but System information only shows Nvidia in that case ...)
- Ioreg shows IGPU@2
Do not know how to check DGPU + IGPU working ?
Files attached (boot, config.plist, ioreg, dpcimanager status)

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    932.9 KB · Views: 80
I tried to follow guide for DGPU + IGPU - got 2 displays connected to main Nvidia -
- IGPU not shown in DPCImanager status (whereas it is shown when using 0x59120000 - but System information only shows Nvidia in that case ...)
- Ioreg shows IGPU@2

@favoriti,

As it states in the guide, when using a headless PlatformID the IGPU will not be shown in System Information but IGPU will show up in the IOREG ... So based on what you have posted I would say that it's working OK.

If you want to test if Intel QuickSync is working install VideoProc click on "Setting" on the main page, then click on the "Options" button next to "Hardware accelerate engine" you should see something like this

Screenshot 2018-12-05 at 21.43.23.png

You should see hardware support for H264, if you have Kaby Lake or later then you should also see hardware support for HVEC.

Cheers
Jay

As it states in the guide,
Noted - sorry for missing this point when reading guide - thanks for the videoproc tip and also for your helpful guide
I seems working :
videoproc.png

The guide goes into detail about Headless IGPU. What about non-headless IGPU? Is there an option that allow connecting displays to both the IGPU and DGPU? This would be a situation similar to a iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro that has only integrated graphics, but can also use an eGPU.

The guide goes into detail about Headless IGPU. What about non-headless IGPU?"

@joevt,

The guide covers configuration of the IGPU in standard mode (Monitor connected to IGPU) and headless mode (IGPU has no monitors connected)

Is there an option that allow connecting displays to both the IGPU and DGPU?

If you want to use a monitor with the IGPU as well as a dGPU then you can treat the IGPU in standard mode and set a non headless PlatformID for it, however you should be aware that no genuine desktop Mac's use this configuration and results may be unpredictable.

iMac & Mac Mini systems with integrated dGPU's do not have any physical display connectors connected to the IGPU and run MacOS with a Headless PlatformID as explained in the guide.

MacBook Air and MacBook Pro laptops that have dual GPU's use Apples own proprietary method of GPU switching which is not possible to emulate/configure on PC laptops with dual GPU's as they lack the hardware .. as the guide states in this instance you must disable the dGPU and use the IGPU in standard mode.

This would be a situation similar to a iMac, Mac mini, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro that has only integrated graphics, but can also use an eGPU.

eGPU's are outside the scope of this guide, I don't have a eGPU box so it's impossible for me to test, in theory as long as the Thunderbolt 3 port is configured and working correctly then a eGPU should work OOB as long as it is using one of the Apple recommended AMD GPU's. However getting Thunderbolt 3 working correctly can be tricky and requires custom DSDT and/or SSDT changes.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Thanks for the guide! I've been trying to setup headless iGPU on a 9900k but FBpatcher crashes everytime I try to Generate Patch (after inputting all the correct settings). Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks for the guide! I've been trying to setup headless iGPU on a 9900k but FBpatcher crashes everytime I try to Generate Patch (after inputting all the correct settings). Any suggestions? Thanks!

@robnlauren,

The only time i've seen that is if Lilu & WhatEverGreen are not already installed or not installed correctly.

Cheers
Jay

Thank you @jaymonkey for this really nice tutorial.
I have a suggestion for the AppleALC section if you think it's ok. I spent the last week trying to get my sound working on ALC269, testing all 34 layouts (yup)... many times, looking at the official AppleALC forum and trying to understand all the pin config, layout and platform .xml stuff just to find out that actually because of an IRQ conflict AppleHDA was never loading... I try to keep DSDT/SSDT patching and Clover options at minimal just adding them when I need them. The alc-layout-id was changing to what I wanted and layout-id was 07000000... so everything was as expected and no sign that AppleALC was not loading (at least for a noob like me). So my suggestion:
After installing Lilu and AppleALC in order to check if kexts were loaded and also that AppleHDA is loading enter in terminal:
Code:
kextstat | grep 'Lilu\|AppleALC\|AppleHDA'
You should see all three kext in the list.
If you don't see AppleHDA you may have an IRQ conflict. You could try enabling FixHPET from Clover (which also worked for me) but I think you should patch the DSDT with @RehabMan (thank you!) MaciASL "[sys] IRQ Fix" patch.

Last edited:
Back