Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

Hello friends! I have followed guide for audio patching but can't get it working. I know my laptop uses ALC288 layout-id 13 for Dell XPS 9343. I generated and applied audio patch for ID 13, installed lilu.kext + AppleALC. Also extracted from 10.13.6 update (my build) vanilla AppleHDA and placed it in S/L/E. FB patcher sees installed kexts but doesn't see audio info. In sound setting sound alerts are grayed out. Attaching below my files.

@holypaulie,

Your ioreg shows that AppleALC is loading and initialising using layout-id 13 (0x0D) so the kext are installed correctly.

AppleALC also supports layout-id 3 for ALC288 codec, I would first try using that and see if Audio works.

If layouts 3 and 13 don't work then it would suggest that the pin config and/or layout and/or platform files provided by AppleALC do match the ALC288 configuration of your Dell Laptop. As per the guide suggests I would recommend posting your Codec details on the official AppleALC help thread and ask for help creating a new layout for your laptop.

At a guess i would say that it's more likely to be a pin configuration issue, this is out side the scope of this thread but if you want to have a go yourself i recommend using MacPeet's guide as a starting point, you can genearte the Pin Config yourself by using a consolidated codec dump from Linux and use the Pin Configurator App to generate a new pin config that matches your codec, links and downloads are in MacPeet's article.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

@holypaulie,

Your ioreg shows that AppleALC is loading and initialising using layout-id 13 (0x0D) so the kext are installed correctly.

AppleALC also supports layout-id 3 for ALC288 codec, I would first try using that and see if Audio works.

If layouts 3 and 13 don't work then it would suggest that the pin config and/or layout and/or platform files provided by AppleALC do match the ALC288 configuration of your Dell Laptop. As per the guide suggests I would recommend posting your Codec details on the official AppleALC help thread and ask for help creating a new layout for your laptop.

At a guess i would say that it's more likely to be a pin configuration issue, this is out side the scope of this thread but if you want to have a go yourself i recommend using MacPeet's guide as a starting point, you can genearte the Pin Config yourself by using a consolidated codec dump from Linux and use the Pin Configurator App to generate a new pin config that matches your codec, links and downloads are in MacPeet's article.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay
Hey Jay! Thank you for interest! Tried layout-id 3 as per your suggestion but no difference. I've checked info.plist for ALC288 codec and layout-id 13 for especially made for my Dell laptop model.
Code:
<key>Comment</key>
<string>InsanelyDeepak - Realtek ALC288 for Dell XPS 9343</string>
<key>Id</key>
<integer>13</integer>
<key>Path</key>
<string>layout13.xml.zlib</string>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>InsanelyDeepak - Realtek ALC288 for Dell XPS 9343</string>
<key>Id</key>
<integer>13</integer>
<key>Path</key>
<string>PlatformsID.xml.zlib</string>

Hey Jay! Thank you for interest! Tried layout-id 3 as per your suggestion but no difference. I've checked info.plist for ALC288 codec and layout-id 13 for especially made for my Dell laptop model.

@holypaulie,

Sorry there is not much more I can suggest other than to try generating your own Pin Configuration as per last post or ask for help on the official AppleALC help thread ...

Generating a custom Pin Config is actually pretty easy with the Pin Configurator app. Boot a Linux Live USB and install the codec utils, dump the codec info and then consolidate the output using the utilities boot back in to MacOS and run Pin Configurator, copy and paste the consolidated verbs into the Pin Configurator app, click on fix and then generate. Finally copy the output into the appropriate section of AppleALC info.plist. It's all covered in the link to MacPeet's guide in my last post to you. It sounds more complicated than it actually is.

Cheers
Jay

Haswell Intel 8 series/c220 series, ALC 282
IntelFB Patcher shows kexts are loaded. Injected device ID(layout ID:3, Devices->Properties->PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1b,0)). Still audio is not working. In IOREG layout-id is there, But I can't find alc-layout-id. What would be the issue?
Screenshot 2018-11-04 at 1.46.14 AM.png

//Ananthus-iMac:~ ananthu$ sudo kextcache -i /

KernelCache ID: 1C7D3FD5855AB0809E127A73B2F5A730//

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 134
  • IOREG.zip
    525.2 KB · Views: 100
  • RehabMan.zip
    26.8 KB · Views: 87
Haswell Intel 8 series/c220 series, ALC 282
IntelFB Patcher shows kexts are loaded. Injected device ID(layout ID:3, Devices->Properties->PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1b,0)). Still audio is not working. In IOREG layout-id is there, But I can't find alc-layout-id. What would be the issue?

@ananthujp,

You have two PCI root keys defined for the HDA device and in both instances you are not injecting "layout-id" as a device property as you have commented them out with a '#'

Code:
            <key>PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1b,0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>#layout-id</key>
                <data>
                AwAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x03,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>#hda-gfx</key>
                <string>onboard-1</string>
                <key>#layout-id</key>
                <integer>3</integer>
            </dict>

Your config.plist is a real mess with regards to the device properties section, remove any un-necessary entries which will make things a bit easier to read and therefore debug, obviously one of those PCI root key's is invalid for your HDA device.

Also unless you have a specific reason i would recommend installing the release versions of Lilu, WhatEverGreen and AppleALC, you have debug versions installed.

Looks like you have all your 3rd party kexts installed in /Clover/Kexts/Other so your kext's are being injected outside of the MacOS kernel rather than being loaded by MacOS .... as per the guide the recommended location for all 3rd party kexts is /Library/Extensions ... injecting that many kexts (15 in total) will have a detrimental effect on the system.

I recommend you re-read the guide for a better understanding.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@ananthujp,

You have two PCI root keys defined for the HDA device and in both instances you are not injecting "layout-id" as a device property as you have commented them out with a '#'

Code:
            <key>PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1b,0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>#layout-id</key>
                <data>
                AwAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x03,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>#hda-gfx</key>
                <string>onboard-1</string>
                <key>#layout-id</key>
                <integer>3</integer>
            </dict>

Your config.plist is a real mess with regards to the device properties section, remove any un-necessary entries which will make things a bit easier to read and therefore debug, obviously one of those PCI root key's is invalid for your HDA device.

Also unless you have a specific reason i would recommend installing the release versions of Lilu, WhatEverGreen and AppleALC, you have debug versions installed.

Looks like you have all your 3rd party kexts installed in /Clover/Kexts/Other so your kext's are being injected outside of the MacOS kernel rather than being loaded by MacOS .... as per the guide the recommended location for all 3rd party kexts is /Library/Extensions ... injecting that many kexts (15 in total) will have a detrimental effect on the system.

I recommend you re-read the guide for a better understanding.

Cheers
Jay
Thanks a lot! That worked!

Actually that '#' was the issue. I copied device properties section from RehabMan's "config_HD4600_4400_4200.plist". Anyway thanks for the information.

Thanks a lot! That worked! Actually that '#' was the issue. I copied device properties section from RehabMan's "config_HD4600_4400_4200.plist". Anyway thanks for the information.

@ananthujp,

Any label/key value that has a leading '#' will cause Clover to ignore it.

Rehabmans example config.plist's in his repo are just that examples with many unneeded properties, you should really tidy everything up once things are working.

Cheers
Jay

@ananthujp,

Rehabmans example config.plist's in his repo are just that examples with many unneeded properties, you should really tidy everything up once things are working.

Cheers
Jay

Certain properties are disabled as those plists are used for pre-install and a jumping off point for post-install.
I tend to disable things that are not needed in pre-install or are in need of customization before being enabled.
layout-id is one of those things (you need to install kexts, determine correct layout-id, implement IRQ fixes [for certain hardware], then enable the layout-id).

@ananthujp,

Cheers
Jay
Thankyou for your reply. I was doing trial and error method for removing unwanted things. Anyway audio is working perfect and it is far better than the high sierra(more louder and no noise issues).

Certain properties are disabled as those plists are used for pre-install and a jumping off point for post-install.
I tend to disable things that are not needed in pre-install or are in need of customization before being enabled.
layout-id is one of those things (you need to install kexts, determine correct layout-id, implement IRQ fixes [for certain hardware], then enable the layout-id).
Thankyou RehabMan. Actually I’m experiencing some glitches on boot animation. Tried fb patches available in example config.plist. I think it would be better to start a new thread on that.

@holypaulie,

Sorry there is not much more I can suggest other than to try generating your own Pin Configuration as per last post or ask for help on the official AppleALC help thread ...

Generating a custom Pin Config is actually pretty easy with the Pin Configurator app. Boot a Linux Live USB and install the codec utils, dump the codec info and then consolidate the output using the utilities boot back in to MacOS and run Pin Configurator, copy and paste the consolidated verbs into the Pin Configurator app, click on fix and then generate. Finally copy the output into the appropriate section of AppleALC info.plist. It's all covered in the link to MacPeet's guide in my last post to you. It sounds more complicated than it actually is.

Cheers
Jay
Hey Jay! My problem with sound was caused by corrupted vanilla AppleHDA.kext. After reinstalling whole kext package sound is working again. Thank you very much for your all support!

Back