CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Important: Always use the correct System Definition (SMBIOS) for the selected PlatformID, Hackingtool will in many cases display the recommended SMBIOS in the lower section of the General tab. Use of a non matching PlatformID and System Definition (SMBIOS) can result in abnormal MacOS behaviour.

Note: There are a few PlatformID's where Hackingtool will not list any recommend System Definitions (SMBIOS) or show "Unknown" next to "Model(s)" in the lower section of the General tab, this means that there are no matching Mac Models using that combination of CPU, IGPU & PlatformID however the IGPU PlatformID is still valid and should work. If possible I recommend selecting an alternative PlatformID that has a framebuffer that matches your IGPU and also has a recommended/matching System Definition (SMBIOS).

View attachment 362188View attachment 362189
If you can't find a PlatformID that matches your IGPU with a recommended System Definition (SMBIOS) it does not mean that things wont work, it just means that you'll have to take your best guess at finding the nearest matching SMBIOS to your Hackintosh hardware, a good tool that can help you make this decision is MacTracker or use Post#2 of @headkaze's guide.
Hi,

Using Hackingtool to determine the best PlatformID for my iGPU (no dGPU), I have the choice between 2 PlatformIDs: The first one has no recommended System Definition (SMBIOS) but is close to my hardware according to Post#2 of @headkaze's guide (Desktop 3 connectors, while I'm on desktop with 4 connectors : DP, HDMI, DVI, VGA). Now, the other one recommends a different System Definition (iMac15,1 instead of iMac14,2) but is a Desktop 0 connector PlatformID according to Post#2 of @headkaze's guide.

Which option would you recommend?

Tx
-a-

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K O/C @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I have the choice between 2 PlatformIDs: The first one has no recommended System Definition (SMBIOS) but is close to my hardware according to Post#2 of @headkaze's guide (Desktop 3 connectors, while I'm on desktop with 4 connectors : DP, HDMI, DVI, VGA). Now, the other one recommends a different System Definition (iMac15,1 instead of iMac14,2) but is a Desktop 0 connector PlatformID according to Post#2 of
@asheenlevrai,

The Desktop 0 PlatformID will be a headless one so don't use that. Use the other one ...

I'm guessing this is on your Haswell i7 4770K system ?

If so the correct PlatformID to use for HD 4600 will be 04160000 and use SMBIOS 15,1 you can add the fourth port using @CaseySJ's excellent guide on framebuffer patching.

You need to remember that the HD 4600 IGPU was never meant to drive 4K displays as they simply did not exist at the time Haswell was released, however I believe that it is possible to get it to work but you maybe limited to 30Hz.

Have you applied the -cdfon boot argument and the 2GB VRAM patch ? as detailed in the 4K section of the guide.

I think MacOS caps HD 4600 at 1080P so you may need to manually patch the Azul framebuffer :-

Code:
<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>framebuffer4K</string>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>
    AwAiDQADAwMAAAACAAAwAQ==
    </data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>
    AwAiDQADAwMAAAAEAAAAAw==
    </data>
</dict>

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Asus Z390-A
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@asheenlevrai,

The Desktop 0 PlatformID will be a headless one so don't use that. Use the other one ...
Tx a lot.
jaymonkey said:
I'm guessing this is on your Haswell i7 4770K system ?

If so the correct PlatformID to use for HD 4600 will be 04160000 and use SMBIOS 15,1 you can add the fourth port using @CaseySJ's excellent guide on framebuffer patching.
Actually not exactly. It's for a 4790K. A rig similar to my "barney"* signature build but without the GTX 980. I cannot put more than 5 builds in my signature and I tried to minimize redundancy. I now fixed my signature so it is closer to the real thing (rx 590s are not an option, yet). Both our 4770K-based builds were recently moved to Win10...

(*I change those names all the time so in the future "barney" may refer to a different rig.)

Why would I need/want to add the 4th port since it's a VGA port? It's unsupported anyway, right? And I'm never gonna use a VGA connector again, I hope... ;)

jaymonkey said:
You need to remember that the HD 4600 IGPU was never meant to drive 4K displays as they simply did not exist at the time Haswell was released, however I believe that it is possible to get it to work but you maybe limited to 30Hz.
Damn... We'll see. It works well on Win10 though. But we know that already...

jaymonkey said:
Have you applied the -cdfon boot argument and the 2GB VRAM patch ? as detailed in the 4K section of the guide.
I did! I used hackingtool to generate the patch for 2GB VRAM and copied manually into config.plist as recommended. For the -cdfon parameter I added it via clover configurator.

In the BIOS I put the max value for VRAM (I believe it was 512MB). Was that smart? I was told maybe I should use a lower value... I don't understand how it would affect anything since 2GB will now be dedicated anyway by the OS

jaymonkey said:
I think MacOS caps HD 4600 at 1080P so you may need to manually patch the Azul framebuffer :-

Code:
<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>framebuffer4K</string>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>
    AwAiDQADAwMAAAACAAAwAQ==
    </data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>
    AwAiDQADAwMAAAAEAAAAAw==
    </data>
</dict>

Cheers
Jay
Tx

Is the Azul framebuffer something that was recently merged with WEG ("AzulPatcher4600 --> Specific patches for the Azul framebuffer on HD4600 IGPU") or should I install this one as well? (I don't know how)... I guess the code you provided should be copied into config.plist. In the "devices" section?

Thank you so much for the detailed answers. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into helping me. Like really really :)

Best,
-a-

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Z390-A
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Have you applied (...) the 2GB VRAM patch ? as detailed in the 4K section of the guide.
Could I set more than 2GB (like 4GB)? Would it help? Total RAM on this rig is 24GB.

Best,
-a-

Motherboard
Asus Z390-A
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I guess the code you provided should be copied into config.plist. In the "devices" section?
I looked it up and placed your code into the kextstopatch section of config.plist
-> no difference (still get 1080p as max res)

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K O/C @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Could I set more than 2GB (like 4GB)? Would it help? Total RAM on this rig is 24GB.

@asheenlevrai,

unfortunately no, 2GB is the maximum amount of VRAM you can assign to the IGPU, even the latest 9th gen CPU/IGPU can only use a maximum of 2GB, its a limitation imposed by the Intel IGPU architecture.

I looked it up and placed your code into the kextstopatch section of config.plist -> no difference (still get 1080p as max res)

Hummm that code was from my notes on El Capitan so its possible that the patch code has changed since then ?

I don't have a 4K display so its not possible for me to test, you may have to patch the connectors in the framebuffer (using WhatEverGreen) .. there is some information in this thread :-

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Asus Z390-A
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Examples Note-1: In some of these examples you will see the Device Property "device-id" which can be thought of as a IGPU generation identifier (it will always be the first two bytes of the PlatformID in reverse byte order followed by four zero's). The need to set/inject this property is in many cases not necessary, and some users have reported that it can cause problems which is why Hackingtool no longer automatically generates this value. However other users have reported that without this property their system does not work correctly so the need for it is on a by use basis. If you want Hackingtool to generate the patch code for the "device-id" Device Property you can do so by selecting the option in the Advanced sub-tab on the Patch page of Hackingtool.
Could this be related to the limitation I'm experiencing (1080p rather than 4K)? Or is it completely unrelated?

Other question: Many users seem to have succeeded in getting 4K@60Hz on HD4600 but they all patched the Azul framebuffer using the Azul patch (whatever that is... I'm probably too still too much of an idiot to understand how it works). However these posts all predate the merging of numerous patches with WEG (including AzulPatcher4600) So my understanding was that there is nothing to be done on the "Azul" side now... But that may be wrong, I guess.

I don't have any AzulXXX.kext on my system (not in /S/L/E, not in /L/E, not in E/E/C/K/O
Is that a bad sign?

Tx
-a-

CPU
Intel® Core™ i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz × 4
Graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
Thanks @jaymonkey for helping the i_Diots out here, really appreciate.

Just some concerns.
I followed your procedure, I can say it worked but after a little bit of hustle and would wish to point out some few things(Very much subject to correction).

Using sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u / to refresh kext cache is efficient because you can notice what works and what is not working after installation.

I initially used WhatEverGreen the latest version with LILU and it worked for my graphics, but adding AppleALC(from Multibeast) spoilt everything. WhatEverGreen failed to load even after removing AppleALC, had to reinstall the two kexts afresh.

So, its good to stick to the guide, use the latest builds for all the dependencies needed.

on Audio, using Hackingtool, The controller seems to be recognised but the vendor and codec never showed up, not even the layout id.

I used a random layout id of 7, and on the IOREgExplorer, I could see it came up with with arc-layout-id, but nothing yet on Hackingtool, using kextstat | grep 'Lilu\|AppleALC\|AppleHDA' to check if loaded, only Lilu and appleALC did.

Had to try things randomly, first attempt was to remove AppleHDADisabler.kext, that was the first suspect, placed it in kext/other in clover, just incase a panic was on my way.

booted, with the AppleHDADisabler.kext disabled from injection and things seem to come to life, the Hackingtool recognised the codec and vendor+kernel range values.

but the sound wasn't there yet, I remembered the 7 (layout id ) I had gambled with, on visiting this wiki, my chip(ALC293) seems to be using id's 28 & 29, I started with 28 and you! thinks are working.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K O/C @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Could this be related to the limitation I'm experiencing (1080p rather than 4K)? Or is it completely unrelated?

@asheenlevrai,

Its Unrelated ...

Other question: Many users seem to have succeeded in getting 4K@60Hz on HD4600 but they all patched the Azul framebuffer using the Azul patch (whatever that is... I'm probably too still too much of an idiot to understand how it works). However these posts all predate the merging of numerous patches with WEG (including AzulPatcher4600) So my understanding was that there is nothing to be done on the "Azul" side now... But that may be wrong, I guess.

The Azul framebuffer patch is the code i gave you in post #243 ... indeed WhatEverGreen does already have this patch included but sometimes it does not get applied due to hardware miss-matching which is why i got you to try it manually.

The kext that it patches is in /System/Library/Extensions and is called AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext and is installed by default on all MacOS builds, if it's not there then something is very wrong with your MacOS install.

Are you sure that MacOS is simply not scaling the display to 1080P ?...

Try this :-

Goto System Preferences --> Display --> Click on "Scaled"

Normally MacOS will give you the display scaling options as a text size icon like this :-

Where the smallest text size is scaled to 1080P, however if you hold the MacOS Alt modifier key down (will depend on how you have your keyboard mapped) and then click on "Scaled" it will show you the available resolutions ... like this :-

On a 4K display MacOS will normal scale the GUI to 1080P so that it's is not too small to read, however by using the above method you can over-ride this and explicitly set the output resolution.

I made the above screen grabs on my HP Spectre X360 Laptop which has a Kaby Lake CPU/IGPU and a 4K Display, by default MacOS scales the GUI to 1080P which is perfect for me with my poor eye sight, if I set it to 3360 x 1890 which is the highest resolution the internal display supports its impossible to read any text.

Other than the above, theres not much more I can do to further help you as I don't have a 4K Monitor to test with on my i7 4790K/HD4600 system, best advice I can give is to try posting on one of the threads where users are reporting success with HD 4600 IGPU + 4K Display ... hopefully they can give you some advice on how to get it working.

Cheers
Jay

Cheers
Jay

Last edited: