CPU
i7-4790K O/C @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
on Audio, using Hackingtool, The controller seems to be recognised but the vendor and codec never showed up, not even the layout id.

@keronei,

If AppleALC is loading (confirmed by presence of alc-layout-id in ioreg) then the usual cause of Hackintool not detecting the Codec hardware and AppleHDA is not playing any sound (see the AppleHDA test/debug in the guide) is that the IRQ and/or HPET are not patched in the ACPI/DSDT.

The HPET fix can be applied using Clover as detailed in the AppleALC section of the guide.

If that does not work then you may need to manually patch your DSDT with the IRQ Fix, Rehab man has a MaciALS patch for this in his repo :-

If you not familiar with ACPI patching then see his guide here :-

Although written for laptops the process is exactly the same for desktops ..

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Asus Z390-A
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me and to provide such detailed answers. I really appreciate it :)

The Azul framebuffer patch is the code i gave you in post #243 ... indeed WhatEverGreen does already have this patch included but sometimes it does not get applied due to hardware miss-matching which is why i got you to try it manually.
manually how? post#243? where shoudl the code go? into config.plist? what section? kextstopatch?
if yes I tried but it didn't help unfortunately for me :(

The kext that it patches is in /System/Library/Extensions and is called AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext and is installed by default on all MacOS builds, if it's not there then something is very wrong with your MacOS install.
It's there. My bad... I was looking for "azulXXX.kext". Shame on me...

Are you sure that MacOS is simply not scaling the display to 1080P ?...

Try this :-

Goto System Preferences --> Display --> Click on "Scaled"

Normally MacOS will give you the display scaling options as a text size icon like this :-

View attachment 386705

Where the smallest text size is scaled to 1080P, however if you hold the MacOS Alt modifier key down (will depend on how you have your keyboard mapped) and then click on "Scaled" it will show you the available resolutions ... like this :-

View attachment 386706

On a 4K display MacOS will normal scale the GUI to 1080P so that it's is not too small to read, however by using the above method you can over-ride this and explicitly set the output resolution.
When I select scaled I only get the list (like on your 2nd screenshot) I never get the 5 icons. I get more options when I press option while selecting scaled, but the highest option is always 1920x1080...

best advice I can give is to try posting on one of the threads where users are reporting success with HD 4600 IGPU + 4K Display ... hopefully they can give you some advice on how to get it working.
Unfortunately most these posts predate the merge of WEG with the various patches it now encompasses...

Looks like I'm quite alone in the dark right now :think:

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Z390-A
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
unfortunately no, 2GB is the maximum amount of VRAM you can assign to the IGPU, even the latest 9th gen CPU/IGPU can only use a maximum of 2GB, its a limitation imposed by the Intel IGPU architecture.

Apparently some went above the 2GB limit.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K O/C @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me and to provide such detailed answers. I really appreciate it ... manually how? post#243? where shoudl the code go? into config.plaist? what section? kextstopatch? ...if yes I tried but it didn't help unfortunately for me.

@asheenlevrai,

Sorry for not explaining that, kextstopatch is the correct section for the Azul framebuffer patch.

As I explained before the code I posted was for El Captain so it may not be correct for Sierra,HS or Mojave ... you could try searching for a more uptodate version.

When I select scaled I only get the list (like on your 2nd screenshot) I never get the 5 icons. I get more options when I press option while selecting scaled, but the highest option is always 1920x1080...

The fact that you do not get the text size scaling icons would indeed suggest that MacOS is treating your display as regular DPI device rather than a high DPI device (Retina in Apple Speak).

Usually specifying the -dcfon boot argument for WhatEverGreeem is enough to force MacOS to use High DPI display devices.

Looking in the WhatEverGreen repo I found this :-

"AzulPatcher4600.kext is deprecated because it is equivalent to use framebuffer-patch in Devices-Properties "

The patch code it's referring to is as follows :-

Code:
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>
                BgAmCg==
                </data>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>
                EgQAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-pipe</key>
                <data>
                EgAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-type</key>
                <data>
                AAgAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-alldata</key>
                <data>
                /wAAAAEAAABAAAAA
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-cursormem</key>
                <data>
                AACQAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-memorycount</key>
                <data>
                AgAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-portcount</key>
                <data>
                AgAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>

Make a backup of your config.plist and then try the replacing the IGPU Device Properties with the above, you should already have the IGPU PCI Path key in your config.plist -> Devices -> Properties section from where you set AAPL,ig-platform-id and just replace the whole Key section with the above. If your not sure how to do it post your config.plist and i do it for you.

I have no way of testing it but its worth a shot at this stage .... see here for more info :-

The only other thing I can think of is to check that the DP port on your motherboard can support 4K, try and find out what version DP port it is (1.1,1.2,1.3 .. etc) and make sure your cable is the correct version too ... its a bit confusing but there are some guides on it on Wikipedia like this one :-

It's possible that by patching the connectors in the framebuffer you might be able to get it to work. @CaseySJ has a good guide on the subject here :-

Other than the above I'm out of idea's ....

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Asus Z390-A
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@asheenlevrai,

Sorry for not explaining that, kextstopatch is the correct section for the Azul framebuffer patch.

As I explained before the code I posted was for El Captain so it may not be correct for Sierra,HS or Mojave ... you could try searching for a more uptodate version.

The fact that you do not get the text size scaling icons would indeed suggest that MacOS is treating your display as regular DPI device rather than a high DPI device (Retina in Apple Speak).

Usually specifying the -dcfon boot argument for WhatEverGreeem is enough to force MacOS to use High DPI display devices.

Looking in the WhatEverGreen repo I found this :-

"AzulPatcher4600.kext is deprecated because it is equivalent to use framebuffer-patch in Devices-Properties "

The patch code it's referring to is as follows :-

Code:
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
                <data>
                BgAmCg==
                </data>
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>
                EgQAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-pipe</key>
                <data>
                EgAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con1-type</key>
                <data>
                AAgAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-alldata</key>
                <data>
                /wAAAAEAAABAAAAA
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-con2-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-cursormem</key>
                <data>
                AACQAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-memorycount</key>
                <data>
                AgAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
                <data>
                AQAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>framebuffer-portcount</key>
                <data>
                AgAAAA==
                </data>
            </dict>

Make a backup of your config.plist and then try the replacing the IGPU Device Properties with the above, you should already have the IGPU PCI Path key in your config.plist -> Devices -> Properties section from where you set AAPL,ig-platform-id and just replace the whole Key section with the above. If your not sure how to do it post your config.plist and i do it for you.
I did that and my rig wouldn't boot.
(SIDENOTE: booting in safe-mode wouldn't let me mount the EFI for some reason. I ended up connecting the sATA SSD to another Mac on USB to restore config.plist. Happy this rig didn't have an M.2 SSD. Don't know how I'd done this on this case. I'd need a rig with 2 M.2 sockets on the MB. Actually I have 1 now but it's not running yet)

I attach a screenshot of the verbose boot crash/hang
I attach 2 copies of my config.plist: before and after the edit you suggested. Let me know if I made a mistake.

I thought maybe:

• Shouldn't the AAPL,ig-platform-id in the AFTER version match the one in the BEFORE version? Or was it intentional to change it?
  • Was framebuffer-unifiedmem necessary? cause it's gone in the AFTER version
Let me know what you think about it

The only other thing I can think of is to check that the DP port on your motherboard can support 4K, try and find out what version DP port it is (1.1,1.2,1.3 .. etc) and make sure your cable is the correct version too ... its a bit confusing but there are some guides on it on Wikipedia like this one :-

This part is OK

It's possible that by patching the connectors in the framebuffer you might be able to get it to work. @CaseySJ has a good guide on the subject here :-

I'll look into that ASAP

Thank you very much for your kindness and interest.

Best,
-a-

Attachments

Last edited:

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K O/C @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I did that and my rig wouldn't boot.....
  • Shouldn't the AAPL,ig-platform-id in the AFTER version match the one in the BEFORE version? Or was it intentional to change it?
  • Was framebuffer-unifiedmem necessary? cause it's gone in the AFTER version
@asheenlevrai,

The PlatformID 0A260006 in the After version is for HD 5000 IGPU, since you have HD 4600 IGPU change the Device Property AAPL,ig-platform-id to the value you used in the Before version, sorry my bad there I should have spotted that before getting you to try that code.

The framebuffer-unifiedmem value in the Before version is to bump up the VRAM to 2GB you can put it back in the After version.

Try making those changes and see if it helps.

PS: A quick tip, as long as you keep the Before version of your config.plist in /EFI/Clover/ and call it "config-before.plist" you can select which config.plist you want to use by going to Options -> Configs, that way you can select the Before version if the After Version does not boot or causes a KP.

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Asus Z390-A
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
PS: A quick tip, as long as you keep the Before version of your config.plist in /EFI/Clover/ and call it "config-before.plist" you can select which config.plist you want to use by going to Options -> Configs, that way you can select the Before version if the After Version does not boot or causes a KP.
Sorry, how would I do that?
clover configurator?
clover GUI (boot screen)?

Thank you so much
-a-

Motherboard
Asus Z390-A
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
The PlatformID 0A260006 in the After version is for HD 5000 IGPU, since you have HD 4600 IGPU change the Device Property AAPL,ig-platform-id to the value you used in the Before version, sorry my bad there I should have spotted that before getting you to try that code.

The framebuffer-unifiedmem value in the Before version is to bump up the VRAM to 2GB you can put it back in the After version.

Try making those changes and see if it helps.

Attachments

Motherboard
Asus Z390-A
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Hi,
Sorry to insist but I'd be happy to know how to do that :) The part in red is not clear to me.

Tx
-a-

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K O/C @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Hi, Sorry to insist but I'd be happy to know how to do that :) The part in red is not clear to me.

@asheenlevrai,

The feature has been in Clover for a long time, at the clover menu select the options icon, then in the sub menu select "Configs" .. it will the list all the files ending in .plist in the /EFI/Clover folder .. select the one which you knows works if your unable to boot after making changes to the default config.plist file.

Note: If your not using the "Auto=Yes" option in your config.plist then you must have the "Tool" option enabled in the config file to see the "Options" icon :-

Cheers
Jay