Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

Still no luck. :( Could this be an HDMI port issue? I know that sometimes Mac OS gets cranky if you use a port it doesn't like.
Possible - I use DP connector to my RX580.

Have anyone fixed this issue? I tried shikigva=1, 57 and 60 but none worked.
screen-shot-2019-02-14-at-5-49-57-pm-png.387078

Is WhateverGreen supposed to make the necessary system modifications for enabling 4K on a Haswell CPU without requiring users to patch the Azul framebuffer themselves? If so, I can certainly log a bug.

@CaseySJ,

Back in the day when WEG as purely for AMD GPU's there used to be a Lilu plugin called AzulPatcher4600 which was specifically for IGPU's that used the Azul framebuffer.

However once all GPU related plug-in's where merged into WhatEverGreen, AzulPatcher4600 became depreciated.

The WEG documentation mentions that the AzulPatcher4600 plug-in features can be reproduced by injection of WEG Device Properties. I got @asheenlevrai to try those settings but he said that it failed to boot with them.

Between the work boy you and I did with @asheenlevrai its looks like you need both the AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext binary patch and the WEG Device Properties in place in order to get 4K working on HD 4600 but as you posted above it looks like this causes some sort of incompatibility between the two resulting in MacOS failing to boot.

Lilu plug-ins can perform on-the-fly kext binary patching so maybe it's possible for the WEG developers to add the Azul binary patch (maybe via boot argument) thus providing a more simple and one stop solution ?

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@jaymonkey

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I noticed something a few weeks back that I was meaning to mention sooner. After updating to Mojave and dealing with the many issues of not having iGPU enabled in BIOS with dGPU set as primary display, I followed your guide to a T to set up the iGPU in headless mode for my config.

While helping another forum user, I pointed him to your guide. At the same time, another user mentioned to configure headless mode setting the ig-platform-id was unnecessary for our build specs. And rather, a recipe of iMac18,3 SysDef, enabling iGPU in BIOS, setting dGPU as primary, along with Lilu + WEG was all that was necessary.

So I removed this entry from config.plist, rebooted, and headless mode is still enabled! Could it be that some builds do not need any entries in config.plist to configure headless mode? And as long as SysDef is set and BIOS is configured correctly for a user's hardware, that's all that is needed?

Possible - I use DP connector to my RX580.

I located my DP cables and tried it out. DP is actually not working at all with my current configuration. Only the HDMI connection from the 580 is working (and DRM is still not working from that).

Has Clover Configurator changed its UI very recently? I don't have the Abitrary/Properties buttons at the bottom of my Devices page. My Devices page screenshot looks quite a bit different from yours! Maybe I have my properties in the wrong place?
Make sure you use the Global Edition and not the Vibrant Edition of CC.
I don't know what is the differences between the 2 editions but TonyMacx86 provides the Vibrant Editions that seems to lack some features. I'd be happy to know more.
I believe the Global Edition is what you're looking for.
Best,
-a-

Make sure you use the Global Edition and not the Vibrant Edition of CC.
I don't know what is the differences between the 2 editions but TonyMacx86 provides the Vibrant Editions that seems to lack some features. I'd be happy to know more.
I believe the Global Edition is what you're looking for.
Best,
-a-

Thanks! I did indeed have the Vibrant Edition and replaced it with the Global Edition last night.

Still no luck with getting DRM video to work. I got DP working (had to power cycle the monitor of all things), but that didn't fix the issue.

Could it be that some builds do not need any entries in config.plist to configure headless mode? And as long as SysDef is set and BIOS is configured correctly for a user's hardware, that's all that is needed?

@manHands,

You can use Clover or WEG to configure IGPU as headless .. it really depends on how you approach the system, many users (myself included) see Lilu as being the future of MacOS patching but some users prefer to do it the old way and use Clover to set ig-platform-id.

There have been reports of some issues with the IGPU on CFL CPU's that don't seem to play nice with WEG and required the use of Clover to resolve the issue. I believe the WEG developers are working on those issues.

Cheers
Jay

Back