Contribute
Register

10.8.3: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx Graphics Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Booting with -x means your in safe mode and bypassed the GFX kexts alltogether so your not gonna get working GFX no mater what you do. You need to boot without the -x.

Booting with -x means your in safe mode and bypassed the GFX kexts alltogether so your not gonna get working GFX no mater what you do. You need to boot without the -x.

Okay, but if i boot with "-x -f GraphicsEnabler=No" eventually the monitor goes into powersave and all I see the computer doing is acting like it keeps hitting the HD and usb drive but the monitor wont come back on. If I plug the HDMI cable in, all I get is a white screen with the mouse pointer.

YES!!!!!!! Alright! WOO! :headbang:

So I got an MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC, and it works without the sleep trick if I have my HD 4000 set as primary in my UEFI settings.

I'm using the HDMI, DVI, and one of the MiniDisplayPorts with an Active MDP-->DVI converter on my 7970, by the way, so with GE=Yes I can report my outputs are working fine. :thumbup:

DVD Player doesn't crash, either, so I'm guessing that it's almost got full Quartz Extreme/Core Image support. I say "almost" because it comes up as a "Radeon HD 7xxx Series" card under System Profiler instead of a bona fide Radeon HD 7970 Series card.

This is a reference design 7970 stock overclocked to 1010MHz Core and 1375MHz memory, so I'm glad that's at least working, though. :D

------------------------------------------------
So, I tried it with GraphicsEnabler=No and I got a Kernel Panic about Ethernet. But I reset my system (on a DZ77RE-75K) and it boot properly. Since Chimera doesn't have 7xxx support yet, it makes sense that it works just like when I set GE to Yes. Since I need both, I'm currently taking advantage of a not-yet-feature of Chimera and setting GE=Yes.

Next I set my 7970 as default in the UEFI, and I don't quite get why people are saying the boot screen doesn't show up. It does, but you just get that annoying white screen issue. And since my hack can't sleep, that could be a problem.

But, when my Intel HD Graphics 4000 is set as my primary display device in my UEFI settings, I do have a monitor on which I can see the login screen. As I stated before, there is no white screen issue when I have my HD 4000 doing the dirty work during boot time. It 'just works' in that case--"dirty linen" and everything.

-------------------------------------------------
Hopefully that all made sense. If not, here's a summary:

1. MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC works.
2. Booting with Intel HD 4000 set as the primary video device in my UEFI settings "just works," i.e. there's no white screen/sleep issue on any of the displays connected to my 7970.
3. GraphicsEnabler=Yes is needed for my HD 4000 to work, and since Chimera has no impact on the Radeon HD 7xxx series currently, this doesn't break anything (in fact it works better this way).

Case and point: Try setting the integrated graphics as the primary video device in your UEFI/BIOS settings, and the white screen issue may go away. :thumbup:

Nice one KNNSpeed! I've added the info and a link to your post to the OP. Now to test it out on my system :)

EDIT: It works- this is a nice workaround for the White Screen issue. And don't have to use GraphicsEnabler=No.

Then just boot from MBR drive with both HD 4000 and 7870 plugged and it worked! I set up the system first via HD 4000.

Sweet! Glad I could help! :D

Just a quick question, though: Why is the MBR boot needed? Is it related to the graphics card or just Chimera in general? (Is this even the right thread to ask this in?)

I don't have to use a USB drive or anything special to boot from, and (at least according to Windows 8) my Mac drive is on a GPT disk, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something weird here. Unless we're booting GPT disks from an MBR partition scheme for some reason...

On my system, MBR is still needed in order to boot using Chimera, or I get all kinds of odd AMD Framebuffer gibberish. Here are some screenshots of dual graphics (7870 + HD 4000) working.

Edited- new info available. GUID works with dual graphics set in UEFI.

7870+HD4000-2.png7870+HD4000-1.png

Sweet! Glad I could help! :D

Just a quick question, though: Why is the MBR boot needed? Is it related to the graphics card or just Chimera in general? (Is this even the right thread to ask this in?)

I don't have to use a USB drive or anything special to boot from, and (at least according to Windows 8) my Mac drive is on a GPT disk, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something weird here. Unless we're booting GPT disks from an MBR partition scheme for some reason...
This is also an issue with the latest trunk version of Chameleon.

Oh, well, that explains it, then; apparently I'm still using Chimera 1.11.1 r1394...

I went and bought a 7950 from sapphire just because i saw that sapphire are making a mac version of it. I got the 3gb version.

I use a asus p8h61-i with patched bios

I got my 7950 to work like this

-Installed fresh ML

-updated to 10.8.3

-installed clover bootloader

-changed my uefi settings to use iGPU as primary display

-boot up the pc and wait like 15 seconds(you can't see anything with iGPU as primary)

-press enter to start the cloverbootloader

and boom it works without anything else, dont need to sleep trick or anything now

hope it helps some people, also steam/dvd/chess working no problems

I think, that I now have a reason to buy a HD7xxx Card :headbang:

Currently my HD6850 works fine, but for gaming on my windows 8 partition it is getting too weak (especially with all the new games, like Crysis 3).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back