Contribute
Register

Upgraded to RX580, screen goes black during startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I finally was able to figure out which PCI slot the graphics card is in. According to the Dell manual its PCI_E4

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.06.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.06.38 PM.png
    329.6 KB · Views: 63
Ok, those ACPI tables and the other information are great, the only thing that isn't is the copy of the IOReg.

Can you download and follow the instructions on this guide, so I get an actual copy of the full IOReg, not a txt file. They are not the same and the txt file is fairly limited in what it provides.

This is an old IOReg guide by Toleda - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-make-a-copy-of-ioreg.58368/

It contains a link to probably the best copy of IORegistryExplorer available (v 2.1), if you can use this version and provide a copy that would be really helpful. It will clear up what macOS calls the PCIe-4 connector.

In the meantime I will have a look at the DSDT and other tables to see what is happening with your system.

Ah ok. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thank you for sharing the link!
Attached is the ioreg file. Thank you again for all your help!

Attachments

• Scout’s iMac.ioreg
    3.6 MB · Views: 39
Question, Have you or anyone else previously patched your DSDT.aml?

The reason I ask is because when I inspected the DSDT.aml & DSDT.dsl I found these tables contain three errors. This in itself is not uncommon, but one of the three errors is related to the GFX0 power setting.

I have fixed this graphics power issue, by changing the entry to uppercase (this is a common fault in old Bios tables, where lowercase characters have been used by a lazy programmer). Fixing this may help with the RX580 dGPU black screen issue.

I have deleted two other entries, which seemed out of place considering the identical entries around them. The surrounding entries didn't have any secondary entries, just these two causing the errors.

The revised DSDT.aml has been added to the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

SSDT-EC.aml & Corpnewt's SSDTTime script:
I have used the DSDT.aml to generate a custom SSDT-EC.aml for your system, using Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script. This will work better than the generic 'catch all' SSDT-EC-Desktop.aml table I previously provided.

Your system doesn't require any of the other SSDT's that can be generated by using the SSDTtime script. Probably due to it's age.

The new SSDT-EC.aml has been added to the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

Possible other patches:
Having gone through the DSDT.dsl to see what else could be patched, I found there are quite a few alternative renames that might help your system run macOS more in line with what a real Mac would use. There are also some common RTC, IRQ, Mutex (non-0) entries that can be patched.

However, I am reluctant to make too many changes to your DSDT at this point, as we need to solve the black screen issue first. Plus, some of these patches can be applied in your Clover config.plist.

Having inspected your DSDT I would now say that the SSDT-PLNF.aml is not a good fit for your system. It calls something your system DSDT doesn't contain. So it can be removed from the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

Other SSDT's:
I have inspected the other SSDT's you provided with your DSDT and would comment as follows:

SSDT-1.aml
This calls an EC device, but uses a number of different scopes that are not present in your DSDT. This is a Dortania SSDT, which you no longer require, as we have created a custom SSDT-EC for your system. This SSDT should be deleted/removed from where ever it is located.​
It wasn't present in your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. So where is this located?​
SSDT-2.aml
This is the same as the SSDT-XOSI.aml I provided. Again this was not visible in your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, where I would expect it to be located. So where was this SSDT located?​
SSDT-3.aml
This is a custom CPU Power Management SSDT. It should be named SSDT-PM.aml or SSDT.aml, so it is clear it is the Power Management SSDT. It should be saved in your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.​
SSDT-4.aml
This appears to be one of the original ACPI tables, I assume it has been patched in some way. Again if it has been patched it should have been present in your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.​
SSDT.aml
This is the same as SSDT-PLNF.aml that I provided previously, only a version created by Rehabman. This is the same as the other SSDT in that it is not set to work with your GFX0 device, as it is looking in a completely different location. It can be removed, from where ever it is located!​
So in summary, you need to use the SSDT-3.aml. You may need to use the SSDT-4.aml, but only if it has been patched. The others can be deleted, as they are either covered by a new SSDT or not set for your system.​

SSDT-RX580:
I have edited the SSDT-RX580-NPE3-GFX0.aml to reflect the fact your LCD screen is connected via 'port-number' 0x2', that is according to your IOReg. I have converted this to mean Slot-2 in the SSDT. I have renamed the SSDT to SSDT-RX580-NPE3-GFX0-Slot-2.aml, so it is clear which SSDT you should use.

To my mind this is what your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder should contain going forward:

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 20.26.01.png

The attached CLOVER folder has been amended to use these tables.

Try it and see if this helps with the Black Screen issue.

Remember to delete the other SSDT's as mentioned above, otherwise they may cause unnecessary conflicts within your system.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
Just realised I have made a mistake with the SSDT-RX580..... I provided above. the port-number 0x2 referred to the port on the RX580, not the slot number. So don't use that Clover folder.

I will continue to investigate which Slot is being used. So hang on.....

OK, having compared our two IOReg's (specifically the RX580 entries) I think your GPU is connected on Slot-3, not slot-2.

This is based on the acpi-path seen in your IOReg - IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/NPE3@30000. The @3 being the decider. My RX580's acpi-path is IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/PEG0@10000, I know this is located in Slot-1 in my system.

So this CLOVER folder should work with your system's RX580.

Sorry for messing about with the port/slot numbers.

Let me know how this works.

Attachments

• CLOVER 2.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 49
Hi Ed. Thank you so much! Unfortunately, I have the exact same issues including the same errors in the boot log and the console log. Any ideas?

Bollox! I really hoped the last SSDT-RX580 would work.

Only other idea is to use a DisplayPort connection, as HDMI can be funky in macOS. DP connections tend to work better, but I doubt that is a realistic option given your two monitors.

Hey Ed. Thanks so much anyway for your help. I learned a ton! Going to continue to research best I can while I try to find a way to get access to a monitor with a DP input. I'll let you know if I find anything else that works!

OK, best of luck fixing this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back