Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) In your /drivers64UEFI/ directory you have both "OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi" and "OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi". Like this it does not work! Remove "OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi"

2.) In the config.plist you have the AppleUSBXHCIPCI 15 to 26 ports USB entry. Did you try it with the 15 to 20 ports USB entry ( "15" instead of "1b" in the Replace entry)?

3.) You tried both USB methods described in my guide? In fact, I think the BASIC USB configuration should be the right one also for you. So go for that one and delete everything what still remains form my alternative USB configuration! Note, that my BASIC USB configuration neither considers USBInjectAll.kext nor any of the other @RehabMan 's USB-kexts or amls used in my Alternative USB configuration . Solely use "X99_Injector USB 3.kext"! For the BASIC USB configuration you also have to remove the "SSDT-XOSI.aml" from the /ACPI/patched/ directory. You still have it there!

4.) Finally, did you check your BIOS settings?

VT-d: disabled
XHCI Mode: Smart Auto
XHCI Hand-Off: Enabled
EHCI Hand-Off: Enabled

You can also try XHCI Mode: Enabled

By this you should obtain a flawless USB configuration that also works in your case.

Cheers,

KGP :thumbup:

So, I remembered something, 'cause I miss clicked the thread page number, and read something about dsdt implementation,
and remembered I lost about 2 days implementing the USB extra current for iPhones and iPads.......... That was the problem.

You did mention the SSDT-XOSI.aml file, that I tested also, and forgot to delete in this last attempt. But, rebooted the machine 4 times before I wrote this post, with everything like your basic USB config, and everything worked fine and smooth! (except the USB power thing... that's a shame, I and understand next to nothing on dsdt or ssdt, so, anyone care to give a light?)

I tested the configuration copying about 100gb from one USB3 disk, to another, and I can report it works flawlessly.

Almost flawlessly..... The Front USB3 ports (on the case) do not work that great... When trying to copy using one of those (and one at the rear, or two at front), the USB disconnects after 10gb, or 30gb (or hangs at 52 mb, and then disconnects).

So.... Still something missing :/

I tested with Smart Auto, and Enable. Smart Auto gives me the 10 -30 gb fail, the Enable gives "instant".
Also tested the 20 and 26 port limit with no diference what so ever...

Any idea?

So, I remembered something, 'cause I miss clicked the thread page number, and read something about dsdt implementation,
and remembered I lost about 2 days implementing the USB extra current for iPhones and iPads.......... That was the problem.

You did mention the SSDT-XOSI.aml file, that I tested also, and forgot to delete in this last attempt. But, rebooted the machine 4 times before I wrote this post, with everything like your basic USB config, and everything worked fine and smooth! (except the USB power thing... that's a shame, I and understand next to nothing on dsdt or ssdt, so, anyone care to give a light?)

I tested the configuration copying about 100gb from one USB3 disk, to another, and I can report it works flawlessly.

Almost flawlessly..... The Front USB3 ports (on the case) do not work that great... When trying to copy using one of those (and one at the rear, or two at front), the USB disconnects after 10gb, or 30gb (or hangs at 52 mb, and then disconnects).

So.... Still something missing :/

I tested with Smart Auto, and Enable. Smart Auto gives me the 10 -30 gb fail, the Enable gives "instant".
Also tested the 20 and 26 port limit with no diference what so ever...

Any idea?

Maybe anybody else can give you a lift in the remaining issue? I do not face this problem at all...

Ok, so, updating just fyi:

With the present configuration (Basic USB), with XHCI Mode: Enabled, instead of enable, I face no USB interrupts. BUT, when external USB HDD is connected at boot, it will boot as USB2 (all HDD that i tested faced this), but one external SSD did boot at USB3.

With XHCI Mode: Enabled, all that is USB3 boots at USB3, but, some USB disconnects on HDD (copying). Still need more testing.

Front USB still have problem despite XHCI Mode...

One another note, can't reboot with two monitors anymore :eek: Always gives black screen after loading drivers.

Not a huge deal, since it's rare to reboot... Will figure where the problem is from.

Ok, so, updating just fyi:

With the present configuration (Basic USB), with XHCI Mode: Enabled, instead of enable, I face no USB interrupts. BUT, when external USB HDD is connected at boot, it will boot as USB2 (all HDD that i tested faced this), but one external SSD did boot at USB3.

With XHCI Mode: Enabled, all that is USB3 boots at USB3, but, some USB disconnects on HDD (copying). Still need more testing.

Front USB still have problem despite XHCI Mode...

One another note, can't reboot with two monitors anymore :eek: Always gives black screen after loading drivers.

Not a huge deal, since it's rare to reboot... Will figure where the problem is from.

That' s confusing :crazy::lol::lol:

Can you revise what you just wrote above? ;)

e.g. "with XHCI Mode: Enabled, instead of enable, I face no USB interrupts...." you mean instead of "Smart Auto"?

Then you write again: "With XHCI Mode: Enabled, all that is USB3 boots at USB3, but, some USB disconnects on HDD"

Did you finally also try XHCI Mode: Smart Auto or not?

General comment: I do not know on which tests you conclude if a USB is connected as USB2 or USB3?

I realized that with the BASIC USB Configuration and XHCI Mode set to "Smart Auto", Apple's System Report erroneously assigns all USB devices (USB2.0 and USB3.0) to USB3.0, although the indicated transfer rates for each of the individual USB devices properly correspond to either USB2.0 or USB3.0. It seems to be nothing else than a cosmetic error in the System Report, as the USB system functionality is fully and correctly established for all USB Devices (USB2.0 and USB3.0).

I do not face any interrupts when copying data to USB devices... everything works flawless as expected.

Hello,

Your guide is EXCELLENT. Thank you. I have Sierra 10.12.4 running on an ASROCK X99 Extreme 4/3.1. Running like a charm -- all 10 CPU cores, with Nvidia 980 graphics card. Getting amazing Geekbench scores. Can't wait to run it with Avid Media Composer, DaVinci Resolve, etc.

One criticism of the guide is that it provides a config.plist file that sets the System Integrity Protection (SIP) to "disabled", which makes it completely impossible to install any apps from the App Store, as well as most other software that checks for SIP.

To fix this problem, you need to edit the config.plist in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist. Modify this section so that it says:

<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x3</string>

Reactions: kgp
Hello,

Your guide is EXCELLENT. Thank you. I have Sierra 10.12.4 running on an ASROCK X99 Extreme 4/3.1. Running like a charm -- all 10 CPU cores, with Nvidia 980 graphics card. Getting amazing Geekbench scores. Can't wait to run it with Avid Media Composer, DaVinci Resolve, etc.

One criticism of the guide is that it provides a config.plist file that sets the System Integrity Protection (SIP) to "disabled", which makes it completely impossible to install any apps from the App Store, as well as most other software that checks for SIP.

To fix this problem, you need to edit the config.plist in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist. Modify this section so that it says:

<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x3</string>

CSRActiveConfig = 0x3 fix added to the guide at the respective position.

One question, we can in fact also circumvent the System Integrity Protection (SIP) by subsequently allowing the installation of software from the AppStore or third party providers checking for SIP within the Security and Privacy Settings of System Preferences, can't we? So your statement that "it is completely impossible to install any apps from the App Store, as well as most other software that checks for SIP" is in fact not that absolute or also to some extent incorrect even one uses CSRActiveConfig = 0x67 (SIP disabled completely). Right?

Finally, many thanks for confirming the compatibility of my guide with the ASROCK X99 Extreme 4/3.1! :thumbup:

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
Hi, KGP,

Thanks for your reply to my previous post.

I have another curious question. I made a Clonezilla image of my OS Disk and restored it to another disk that is inside a Gigabyte X99-based system. (BTW, Clonezilla a a Hackintosher's beset friend. I make clones every time I get something working, before I break it again). This new Gigabyte system currently has a 6-core i7 5930 CPU. I was very surprised that the system just booted up without any issues -- for 2 reasons:
  • In the Clonezilla image (as on the original system), the Clover config.plist is set up to specify a Broadwell CPU.
  • And the VoodooTSCSync.kext is configured with the Core value = 19 (for 20 logical cores) rather than =11 (for 12 logical cores)
Why does this boot up and run like a charm? Why didn't I need to change the CPU type to Haswell? Why didn't I need to change the CPU code?

Regards,
Andrew

Hi, KGP,

Thanks for your reply to my previous post.

I have another curious question. I made a Clonezilla image of my OS Disk and restored it to another disk that is inside a Gigabyte X99-based system. (BTW, Clonezilla a a Hackintosher's beset friend. I make clones every time I get something working, before I break it again). This new Gigabyte system currently has a 6-core i7 5930 CPU. I was very surprised that the system just booted up without any issues -- for 2 reasons:
  • In the Clonezilla image (as on the original system), the Clover config.plist is set up to specify a Broadwell CPU.
  • And the VoodooTSCSync.kext is configured with the Core value = 19 (for 20 logical cores) rather than =11 (for 12 logical cores)
Why does this boot up and run like a charm? Why didn't I need to change the CPU type to Haswell? Why didn't I need to change the CPU code?

Regards,
Andrew

Well @AndrewL7332, I guess your other computer might boot not only thanks to XCPM, although XCPM might not work properly. Just analyze temperatures and frequencies. However, also the basic configuration without XCPM boots and works without the VoodooTSCSync.kext. I basically introduced VoodooTSCSync.kext just for sleep/wake compatibility on ASUS mainboards. It is neither required for booting nor for standard operation. Finally, your computer might boot with the Broadwell-E FakeCPUID, because FakeCPUID is not required on all systems. Some do not boot without FakeCPUID, some simply do.

In any case a simple clone of a boot drive on different systems certainly is not an appropriate or save approach!

Last edited:
Hi @kgp and @mm2margaret sorry to report but the new x99-a ii motherboard replacement 960 Pro still do not work. Mobo was updated to 1504 and the 960 Pro firmware was updated to 2B6QCXP7

The drive is recognized fine and will boot and run windows if Launch CSM is enabled. So bios defaults work fine.

It I disable Launch CSM, the drive will disappear and not be found in the bios nor from the USB Install. Even if this is the only setting I change after a restore from default.

other things I tried:
- Bios patch procedure to unlock the bios
- clearing secure keys
- various order of bios config changes
- only mouse and KB plugged in with USB install device
- no other SSD or HD
- no other expansion cards

@mm2margaret would love to know if you had any other thoughts I might want to consider. Very curious how you have a working 960 Pro. ;)

Was just being hopeful I could sort this before giving up. My bet it will take some more bios and firmware updates for this drive to work on this motherboard.

Thanks!
Try with Launch CSM set to auto. That way your board should be able to see your windows on nvme and a uefi Mac OS install USB / target drive. This is how mine is set after I found I had stupidly Installed w10 as legacy.

Try with Launch CSM set to auto

CSM is definitely not an issue. I already replied to @ryward. See my two posts on page 110! He also wants to install Mac OS on his NVMe instead of Windows!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back