Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
CSM is definitely not an issue. I already replied to @ryward. See my two posts on page 110!
If he wants to see his 960 as a uefi drive and still boot from a legacy windows then I believe it is.

If he wants to see his 960 as a uefi drive and still boot from a legacy windows then I believe it is.

No! The windows installation on his NVMe was an erroneous and misleading approach to supposedly test the system compatibility of his 960 PRO. I already clarified all issues. No further comments are necessary right now. I think @reward might now be on the right way to do thinks properly. Please read the individual posts on page 110 before further commenting here!

Cheers,

KGP

I see. Wow. I apologise for clearly being such a dickhead. Guess I'll just go back to my PhD....

Reactions: kgp
I see. Wow. I apologise for clearly being such a dickhead. Guess I'll just go back to my PhD....

You anyway should also change from Windows Legacy to Windows UEFI!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lazy @morganb you! :lol::lol::lol:

Good luck with your PhD! :thumbup: Which field of research :?:

Last edited:
You anyway should also change from Windows Legacy to Windows UEFI!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lacy @morganb you! :lol::lol::lol:

Good luck with your PhD! :thumbup: Which field of research :?:
Do you mean lazy? Not really just a question of priorities. Having a life outside hackintosh is hardly a cause for mockery.

Bioinformatics. Anyway off topic I suspect.

Do you mean lazy? Not really just a question of priorities. Having a life outside hackintosh is hardly a cause for mockery.

Bioinformatics. Anyway off topic I suspect.

Sorry for the typo :lol:.. We all do have a life outside hackintosh. I also do. My comment was not meant to be any kind of mockery, rather the opposite. You also might know that I already did my PhD long time ago, so I was just curious in which field of research you are in. That's all.

And please, do not take my comments that seriously. Sometimes it is essential not to loose humor that easily.

That' s confusing :crazy::lol::lol:

Can you revise what you just wrote above? ;)

e.g. "with XHCI Mode: Enabled, instead of enable, I face no USB interrupts...." you mean instead of "Smart Auto"?

Then you write again: "With XHCI Mode: Enabled, all that is USB3 boots at USB3, but, some USB disconnects on HDD"

Did you finally also try XHCI Mode: Smart Auto or not?

General comment: I do not know on which tests you conclude if a USB is connected as USB2 or USB3?

I realized that with the BASIC USB Configuration and XHCI Mode set to "Smart Auto", Apple's System Report erroneously assigns all USB devices (USB2.0 and USB3.0) to USB3.0, although the indicated transfer rates for each of the individual USB devices properly correspond to either USB2.0 or USB3.0. It seems to be nothing else than a cosmetic error in the System Report, as the USB system functionality is fully and correctly established for all USB Devices (USB2.0 and USB3.0).

I do not face any interrupts when copying data to USB devices... everything works flawless as expected.

Well, sorry about lousy English, not the first nor the second language, and, it was a bit late where I'm from, so, revised text:

With XHCI Mode: Smart Auto

• If USB3 HDD is connected on Boot, it will connect as USB2 (480Mb/s, and evidently, Low transfer data).
• If USB3 HDD is connected after Mac envieroment logon, it will connect as USB3 (5Gb/s speed transfer)
• With this Mode, I don't face any -36 Error (in/out error) from rear USB ports (any combinations of USB2 -> 3 or 2 -> 2 or 3 -> 3)
• Front ports work flawlessly with USB2 HDDs/Flash Disks or any other usb input.
• Front ports work ok(ish) with USB3 HDDs, giving some -36 error at 30+ Gb transfers.

With XHCI Mode: Enable

• USB3 HDD is always connected as USB3, whether connected on boot or after logon.
• With this Mode, I don't face any -36 Error (in/out error) from rear USB ports (any combinations of USB2 -> 3 or 2 -> 2 or 3 -> 3)
• Front ports work flawlessly with USB2 HDDs/Flash Disks or any other usb input.
• Front ports work sh!tty with USB3 HDDs, giving various -36 error at early stages of transfers (100Mb, or random disconnects without use).

Here are some images that illustrate the "problem":

USB3 On boot (USB2 speed)
USB2.png USB2_speed.png

USB3 After logon (USB3 speed)
USB3.png USB3_speed.png

Nevertheless, thanks for the hardwork, and stable USB!

Last edited:
Well, sorry about lousy English, not the first nor the second language, and, it was a bit late where I'm from, so, revised text:

With XHCI Mode: Smart Auto

• If USB3 HDD is connected on Boot, it will connect as USB2 (480Mb/s, and evidently, Low transfer data).
• If USB3 HDD is connected after Mac envieroment logon, it will connect as USB3 (5Gb/s speed transfer)
• Front ports work ok(ish) with USB3 HDDs, giving some -36 error at 30+ Gb transfers.

With XHCI Mode: Enable

• USB3 HDD is always connected as USB3, whether connected on boot or after logon.
• Front ports work sh!tty with USB3 HDDs, giving various -36 error at early stages of transfers (100Mb, or random disconnects without use).

Here are some images that illustrate the "problem":

USB3 On boot (USB2 speed)
View attachment 253746 View attachment 253745

USB3 After logon (USB3 speed)
View attachment 253748 View attachment 253747

Nevertheless, thanks for the hardwork, and stable USB!

Great work :thumbup: I never performed such an in-depth USB analysis, many thanks for these tremendous effort! :clap: Can anybody confirm the results :?:

Cheers,

KGP

Hi @kgp and @mm2margaret sorry to report but the new x99-a ii motherboard replacement 960 Pro still do not work. Mobo was updated to 1504 and the 960 Pro firmware was updated to 2B6QCXP7

The drive is recognized fine and will boot and run windows if Launch CSM is enabled. So bios defaults work fine.

It I disable Launch CSM, the drive will disappear and not be found in the bios nor from the USB Install. Even if this is the only setting I change after a restore from default.

other things I tried:
- Bios patch procedure to unlock the bios
- clearing secure keys
- various order of bios config changes
- only mouse and KB plugged in with USB install device
- no other SSD or HD
- no other expansion cards

@mm2margaret would love to know if you had any other thoughts I might want to consider. Very curious how you have a working 960 Pro. ;)

Was just being hopeful I could sort this before giving up. My bet it will take some more bios and firmware updates for this drive to work on this motherboard.

Thanks!

I don't think it's absolutely required to disable CSM. 1504 allows you to leave it on auto. Try that. I personally have been able to work with CSM enabled, but it's not recommended. But I never upgraded my 960 pro's firmware, and I'm glad I didn't. Apparently, it's a good thing to upgrade the firmware on the EVO, but upgrading the PRO's firmware seems a bit dicey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back