Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...I *just* now saw that. I appreciate the extra info. I'm running 10.12.3... I'm hoping that all those kext patches will still be valid... BTW, I also just updated my previous post after noting the price of the 6850K - WOW!

Yes they are all valid for 10.12.3, as I also run 10.12.3.... I hope at least this last point is clear :lol::lol:...

By the way you start to further confuse the reader. :lol::lol: Now you introduce also the 6850K in addition :lol::lol:

Anyway I think the 6800K (6-core) has the best price-performance ratio, that's why I initially I started my build with it. I see not much justification for the higher price of the 6850K (also 6-core, just higher frequency). The 6900K (8-core) is already quite expensive, but the 6950X (10-core) beats all records, also economically! :crazy:

All other KernelToPatch entries remain untouched, if I correctly remember. Of course, most of the entries are only valid for 10.12.
The only reason I asked about 10.12.3 was because of what you previously stated at the end of a previous post. Or did the "3" get omitted? BTW, just looked online at my local MicroCenter for 6900K - sold out :(

The only reason I asked about 10.12.3 was because of what you previously stated at the end of a previous post. Or did the "3" get omitted? BTW, just looked online at my local MicroCenter for 6900K - sold out :(

The meaning of 10.12 was that the KernelToPatch entries are valid for all 10.12 versions, i.e. 10.12.1, 10.12.2 and 10.12.3. I therefore omitted the "3" on purpose ;)

Try to buy it at Amazon. At least here in Europe they deliver within one day (Amazon Prime) and the price might be also the lowest on the market. Newegg might be another option in U.S, as you know best

The meaning of 10.12 was that the KernelToPatch entries are valid for all 10.12 versions, i.e. 10.12.1, 10.12.2 and 10.12.3. I therefore omitted the "3" on purpose ;)

Try to buy it at Amazon. At least here in Europe they deliver within one day (Amazon Prime) and the price might be also the lowest on the market. Newegg might be another option in U.S, as you know best
We actually have a really good store here in Dallas (it's one of many across the US). It's called MicroCenter. They meet or beat prices from NewEgg and Amazon (typically they are already cheaper than those 2). And because we have a special law here in TX where music, video, film producers can purchase equipment without having to pay sales tax. So definitely MC is my "go-to" place to shop! :headbang:

Here is my untouched 6800k. I did not touch the bios and the power management! It may can help you guys :)

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 21.11.08.png

Here is my untouched 6800k. I did not touch the bios and the power management! It may can help you guys :)

View attachment 244275
Thanks for that - it's a big help as a point of reference. It's interesting, the difference in scores & results from GB v3 and GB v4. Not sure what the reason for that is... but I'll be using GB v4 from now on. The test takes a lot longer, but I think the results are more telling/accurate in the new version.

Thanks for that - it's a big help as a point of reference. It's interesting, the difference in scores & results from GB v3 and GB v4. Not sure what the reason for that is... but I'll be using GB v4 from now on. The test takes a lot longer, but I think the results are more telling/accurate in the new version.

The main point was the future upgrade for me. Like kgp I will replace it with a 6950X when the price goes down and I need more rendering power :)

The main point was the future upgrade for me. Like kgp I will replace it with a 6950X when the price goes down and I need more rendering power :)
My new Sunday afternoon project:
X99-A II Build.png
(@kgp - thanks for pushing me over the edge!)
:headbang:

Reactions: kgp
I'm writing this message on my new build!
ASUS X99-A II
Intel i7 6850K
32GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3200
Samsung 850 Pro SSD (500GB)
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC
ASUS ThunderboltEX-II Dual card

Right now, this is running "stock" - no OC, no PM, etc. Just installed macOS 10.12.3, and followed @kgp 's instructions to the letter (bravo & thanks again!). The only apps I've installed are Chrome browser, Geekbench 4.x, and Intel Power Gadget. Check out my GB scores running stock on the 6850K:
Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 8.16.20 PM.png
I'll be curious to know what a little OC up to about 4.3 GHz will do! With only Turbo, processor was topping out with a couple spikes up to 3.8, with several sustained moments of 3.7:
Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 8.13.37 PM.png
Note the blue external HD icon labeled: SMF_Pegasus_01. That is a Promise Technology Pegasus2-R6 Thunderbolt 2 12T RAID array. I've already streamed a couple of QT videos, and it seems to be working like a champ!

My final test of how reliable this build: testing the result of installing Pro Tools 12 + my Pro Tools HD|Native PCIe audio interface card. Say a little prayer, light a candle, put some good energy into the universe, send me some good juju, etc!
:headbang:

PS: I had *no* idea of all the LED lighting on the mobo! Between that & the LED lighting built into the Vengeance LEDs, I'm gonna have to look into a new case that has a big window on the side so I can enjoy the light show!!

Last edited:
Reactions: kgp
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back