Contribute
Register

The Perfect Customac-Pro: X99-A II, i7-6950X, 128GB G.Skill TridentZ, Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm writing this message on my new build!
ASUS X99-A II
Intel i7 6850K
32GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3200
Samsung 850 Pro SSD (500GB)
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC
ASUS ThunderboltEX-II Dual card

Right now, this is running "stock" - no OC, no PM, etc. Just installed macOS 10.12.3, and followed @kgp 's instructions to the letter (bravo & thanks again!). The only apps I've installed are Chrome browser, Geekbench 4.x, and Intel Power Gadget. Check out my GB scores running stock on the 6850K:
View attachment 244370
I'll be curious to know what a little OC up to about 4.3 GHz will do! With only Turbo, processor was topping out with a couple spikes up to 3.8, with several sustained moments of 3.7:
View attachment 244371
Note the blue external HD icon labeled: SMF_Pegasus_01. That is a Promise Technology Pegasus2-R6 TB2 12T RAID array. I've already streamed a couple of QT videos, and it seems to be working like a champ!

My final test of how reliable this build: testing the result of installing Pro Tools 12 + my Pro Tools HD|Native PCIe audio interface card. Say a little prayer, light a candle, put some good energy into the universe, send me some good juju, etc!
:headbang:

PS: I had *no* idea of all the LED lighting on the mobo! Between that & the LED lighting built into the Vengeance LEDs, I'm gonna have to look into a new case that has a big window on the side so I can enjoy the light show!!

:clap: :thumbup: :lol:

I'm writing this message on my new build!
ASUS X99-A II
Intel i7 6850K
32GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3200
Samsung 850 Pro SSD (500GB)
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC
ASUS ThunderboltEX-II Dual card

Right now, this is running "stock" - no OC, no PM, etc. Just installed macOS 10.12.3, and followed @kgp 's instructions to the letter (bravo & thanks again!). The only apps I've installed are Chrome browser, Geekbench 4.x, and Intel Power Gadget. Check out my GB scores running stock on the 6850K:
View attachment 244370
I'll be curious to know what a little OC up to about 4.3 GHz will do! With only Turbo, processor was topping out with a couple spikes up to 3.8, with several sustained moments of 3.7:
View attachment 244371
Note the blue external HD icon labeled: SMF_Pegasus_01. That is a Promise Technology Pegasus2-R6 TB2 12T RAID array. I've already streamed a couple of QT videos, and it seems to be working like a champ!

My final test of how reliable this build: testing the result of installing Pro Tools 12 + my Pro Tools HD|Native PCIe audio interface card. Say a little prayer, light a candle, put some good energy into the universe, send me some good juju, etc!
:headbang:

PS: I had *no* idea of all the LED lighting on the mobo! Between that & the LED lighting built into the Vengeance LEDs, I'm gonna have to look into a new case that has a big window on the side so I can enjoy the light show!!

Nice work! :thumbup: You have a much higher number than mine... Is the Geekbench using RAM for this test? Or it is pure CPU numbers? Can we see your Cinebench numbers too? :mrgreen:

Nice work! :thumbup: You have a much higher number than mine... Is the Geekbench using RAM for this test? Or it is pure CPU numbers? Can we see your Cinebench numbers too? :mrgreen:

Note that @BoomR has the 6850K while you seem to use the 6800K! This makes the score difference!

Note that @BoomR has the 6850K while you seem to use the 6800K! This makes the score difference!

Yeah that's true, but it's only 200Mhz :eek: Is that makes that huge difference?

Could you please describe it as a capture shot for easy understanding? It is difficult for beginners like me.

- Attach pictures-

Attachments

• 스크린샷 2017-03-27 오후 6.07.11.png
    스크린샷 2017-03-27 오후 6.07.11.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 스크린샷 2017-03-27 오후 6.24.29.png
    스크린샷 2017-03-27 오후 6.24.29.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 94
@kgp The specs of this build and Geekbench scores make it one of the better performing hackintoshes anyone can build. I'd like to know more about how you are using it on a daily basis and also see some video benchmarking scores. Also what programs are you running that will exceed 64 GB of ram usage ? I know that this is an installation guide for the X99-A II and not a User Build so just a few brief comments here are all that are needed to help your readers get an idea of how this build performs when you are running various programs on it.

Thanks for sharing all of this info with the community in your guide. :thumbup:

Last edited:
@kgp The specs of this build and Geekbench scores make it one of the better performing hackintoshes anyone can build. I'd like to know more about how you are using it on a daily basis and also see some video benchmarking scores. Also what programs are you running that will exceed 64 GB of ram usage ? I know that this is an installation guide for the X99-A II and not a User Build so just a few brief comments here are all that are needed to help your readers get an idea of how this build performs when you are running various programs on it.

Thanks for sharing all of this info with the community in your guide. :thumbup:

*****************************************************************************************************

Well don't know where to start with... ;)

I am a scientist, expert in solar physics, space weather forecast and related telescope/instrument/space-mission development. In the frame of my scientific research, I developed parallelized image reconstruction, spectral line inversion and numerical modeling algorithms/applications, which require tremendous parallelized calculation power, ram memory and storage capacities to reduce, analyze and interpret extensive and pioneering scientific ground-based or space-born observational data sets. This basically was also the professional motivation for my build. Anybody interested can find more details on my personal webpage.

I think my thread implements both, hardware build and installation guide at the same time. I am sure that this high-end build might find manifold application, not only in science and research at universities or research institutions, engineering facilities, or medical labs, etc.. The principal intention of my thread however was to demonstrate, that we are able to build and configure a stable and relatively "low-cost" high-end system nowadays, that goes far beyond of what Apple is able to offer or will be ever able to offer for some reasonable pricing. A system based on X99, that allows the use of all software-packages developed for MacOS, Unix, Linux or even Windows at the same time (e.g. think on Vine, Parallels, or a dual boot system configurations). The flexibility between different boards (Asus, Gigabyte, etc.), processor models (e.g. 6800K, 6850K, 6900K, 6950X) and Ram Memory (16-128GB) makes it affordable for anybody (also home office, video editing, etc.) and allows its perfect adaptation for the specific purpose and requirement.

I think it therefore deserves to be recognized by Tonymacx's buyer's guide, specifically when addressing possible Customac-Pro or Customac High-End configurations.

I am very willing to provide further benchmarking for its ultimate configuration, however I would prefer to have a list of tools that I should use for this purpose. I can add the results towards the end of my guide without large additional efforts. I kindly invite all users with similar or different X99 configurations to provide their feedback on my guide and thread, although also many non-x99 boarders will be able to take profit of major parts of my guide. Of course, also their feedback is warmly welcome.

In an case many thanks for recognizing my thread on Tonymacx86 and all the support I received in the meanwhile!

It is a personal pleasure to be part of Tonymacx86! :clap::clap::clap:

*****************************************************************************************************

Last edited:
Could you please describe it as a capture shot for easy understanding? It is difficult for beginners like me.

- Attach pictures-

Hi @sweetsnap, :?: what would you like that I specifically do for you in this issue :?:

That was a fresh install of Geekbench 4, and I didn't adjust any of the GB settings options. Installed, booted up, launched Power Toys to monitor, then ran the test. I've been using Geekbench 3 for some time, but I think v4 is a lot more reliable (although the scores with the same build on GB3 and GB4 to me were significantly different). Maybe I am not configuring GB4 correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back