Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Those quirks look normal for a CLOVER/OC hybrid setup. No need to change any of them.

So I just rebooted and most usb ports will still not work. Any other suggestions? Thank you again.

Start a new thread in the General Help forum, attach a copy of your current Clover folder. It may be something else that is causing the USB ports to not function correctly.

I would go with a defective USB Type-C port on the motherboard, as I doubt both cables are defective.

There are no issues moving forward with the 9 working ports. Final screenshot looks good based on your system and setup.
  1. Export the USB configuration from Hackintool.
  2. Add the new USBPorts.kext to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  3. Remove USBInjectAll.kext from the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  4. Remove/disable the USB port limit patches in the config.plist, and
  5. Reboot the system.
  6. Then test the 9 USB ports to make sure they are all working as expected.
Job should be done.
Ed,
It seems it's always a challenge maintaining your build to ensure working functionality. After putting this USB issue to bed, I moved on to my next project, updating my system definition (from iMac14,2 to Macmini 8,1) to clear my path to migrate from Mojave to Catalina. In doing so, I soon realized my custom USBPorts.kext no longer worked. Luckily, I was able to redo the port discovery process, and as of now, all ports are configured properly and working; except the defective USB-C.

My question, can I expect another challenge when moving to Catalina? I assumed that once the ports were properly configured, my USBPorts.kext would be rock solid. Just want to know if I can expect future issues maintaining USB ports, while applying any future OS system upgrades? The change to my system definition should now be permanent. Comments?

You are correct the USBPorts.kext fix is supposed to be permanent. However. there have been some issues with the USBPorts.kext needing to be reconfigured by some people, when updating to Big Sur 11,4 and the Public Beta for Monterey.

I have not heard that this is the case when updating from Mojave to Catalina.

You may need to re-export the USBPorts.kext from Hackintool, if and when you change the SMBIOS. As the current USBPorts.kext will have the iMac14,2 SMBIOS named in the info.plist, this will need to be changed/updated to match the Macmini 8,1 SMBIOS. Just so things remain in sync.

... the current USBPorts.kext will have the iMac14,2 SMBIOS named in the info.plist, this will need to be changed/updated to match the Macmini 8,1 SMBIOS. Just so things remain in sync.

Precisely.

I am trying to get my broadcomm Bcm94360cs2 wifi/bluetooth card to work

So I am going through the guide, and I am at step 2/3 and here is what hackintool is displaying. I've clearly done something wrong as nothing is displaying. I've tried a usb drive (that appears on my desktop when I connect) and nothing changes in hackintool. I'm at a loss

Attachments

• hackintool-system-peripherals.png
    hackintool-system-peripherals.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 40
  • hackintool-usb.png
    hackintool-usb.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 48
  • hackintool-usb-injected.png
    hackintool-usb-injected.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 48
I am trying to get my broadcomm Bcm94360cs2 wifi/bluetooth card to work

So I am going through the guide, and I am at step 2/3 and here is what hackintool is displaying. I've clearly done something wrong as nothing is displaying. I've tried a usb drive (that appears on my desktop when I connect) and nothing changes in hackintool. I'm at a loss

Hi there.

So how have you configured your ports so far? We can see a port-limit removal patch in place to show all your available ports, but need to know how you set that up?

Which version of macOS too?

:)

@UtterDisbelief - Himicane is running Big Sur (assumed 11.4) on a Z490/RX6800 system; using OpenCore with the XhciPortLimit quirk enabled; not using the rename patch for XHCI to XHC; if the EFI posted in the other thread is still relevant.

@Himicane have you cleared and refreshed the USB tab/window in Hackintool?

Open Hackintool and navigate to the USB tab:

Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 22.44.30.png Select the Clear All icon highlighted in magenta box

Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 22.44.40.png Select the Refresh icon highlighted in the magenta box

Your USB window should be populated with the Intel USB ports from your system, with any connected devices shown with a green line highlighting the active and connected device.

Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 22.44.51.png Refreshed window, active USB devices highlighted in Green

@UtterDisbelief - Himicane is running Big Sur (assumed 11.4) on a Z490/RX6800 system; using OpenCore with the XhciPortLimit quirk enabled; not using the rename patch for XHCI to XHC; if the EFI posted in the other thread is still relevant.

@Himicane have you cleared and refreshed the USB tab/window in Hackintool?

Open Hackintool and navigate to the USB tab:

View attachment 524797 Select the Clear All icon highlighted in magenta box

View attachment 524798 Select the Refresh icon highlighted in the magenta box

Your USB window should be populated with the Intel USB ports from your system, with any connected devices shown with a green line highlighting the active and connected device.

View attachment 524799 Refreshed window, active USB devices highlighted in Green

Ah, okay. Didn't realise there was another thread with more details. :thumbup:

Back