Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Your USB port configuration is still far from correct.

If you recall we discussed and quantified the number of USB ports your motherboard contains.

4 x USB 2.0 ports (black) on the rear - (4 ports total)
4 x USB 3.0/1 ports (Blue) on the rear - 4 x USB3 and 4 x USB2 (8 ports total)
2 x USB 3.2 ports (Red) on the rear - 2 x USB 3.2 TypeC and 2 x USB2 TypeC (4 ports total)

Total of 16 USB ports - 10 physical ports and 6 virtual ports
View attachment 524959

Internal connectors include:
2 x USB2 header ports - Internal connector type (4 ports total)
1 x USB3.0/1 header port - USB3 connector type (4 ports total)
1 x USB TypeC header port - TypeC+Sw connector type (2 ports Total)

Total of 10 USB ports - 7 physical ports and 3 virtual ports
View attachment 524960
This means your Hackintool USB window is showing only 24 of 26 ports. 2 ports are not showing or connected to your case, possibly the 2 ports from the TypeC header?

But nearly all the USB port connector Types are set incorrectly.

You need to clarify which port in the Hackintool USB window matches with your case ports, you need to do this for all the ports, even if you don't plan to use them.

This is so you know you are eliminating/deleting the correct port, i.e. the ones you won't need to use, when you start reducing the active port numbers down to a max of 15 ports.

The USB port discovery phase will require that you test each external port on the front of the case and rear I/O plate with a USB2 pen drive and then a USB3 pen drive. Write down the port that is activated when a USB pen drive is inserted. Keep a list of the ports, double check that the ports are correctly identified.

You may need to switch the motherboard USB2 headers to fully discover which port is associated with each of the headers. I had to on my systems.
Ed, I'm sorry I think I was unclear in my earlier response, or I am not fully understanding something. When I have the USB tab in Hackintool open. The only port that will respond is HS10. When I move around to other ports nothing shows as active(green). My keyboard, astro mixamp (soundcard), are plugged in and work, but they do not show as being used by a USB port. I think today I am going to physically remove the built in wifi/bt card from my mobo. Unless you guys think that's a foolish idea.

Removing the Intel WiFi/BT card might help. But I wouldn't expect it to solve all your problems regarding the USB port configuration.

I think there is something fundamentally wrong in your setup. As using the patches, kexts etc. that have been recommended should enable you to discover the USB ports.

Have you double-checked that your Bios settings are correct for Running macOS? The settings below should be used when booting OpenCore:

Disable
  • Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port/Super IO port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)
Enable
  • VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB
  • SATA Mode: AHCI
Your system may not have all these settings, some may be hidden within other settings, CSM and UEFI booting being the ones to spring to mind.

Removing the Intel WiFi/BT card might help. But I wouldn't expect it to solve all your problems regarding the USB port configuration.

I think there is something fundamentally wrong in your setup. As using the patches, kexts etc. that have been recommended should enable you to discover the USB ports.

Have you double-checked that your Bios settings are correct for Running macOS? The settings below should be used when booting OpenCore:

Disable
  • Fast Boot ✅
  • Secure Boot ✅
  • Serial/COM Port/Super IO port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d ✅
  • CSM ✅
  • Thunderbolt
  • Intel SGX ✅
  • Intel Platform Trust ✅
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)
Enable
  • VT-x ✅
  • Above 4G decoding ✅
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off ✅
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode ✅
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB
  • SATA Mode: AHCI ✅
Your system may not have all these settings, some may be hidden within other settings, CSM and UEFI booting being the ones to spring to mind.
All the ones I check, were done. The other options, I never found in my bios. The above 4g is the only setting I changed. USB status is unchanged. I't not sure what to do at this point. I didn't take out the card. I will do that tonight. I will update the progress. Do you think I will have to remove the mobo to remove the card?

Clarification of which Bios entries you found and which you didn't find would be helpful. As some have an alternative option to be disabled in the config.plist by using a patch, kext or quirk.

I am not sure if you need to remove the motherboard to remove the card. You will be the best judge of that, as you will be removing the card.

Clarification of which Bios entries you found and which you didn't find would be helpful. As some have an alternative option to be disabled in the config.plist by using a patch, kext or quirk.

I am not sure if you need to remove the motherboard to remove the card. You will be the best judge of that, as you will be removing the card.
The clarify. All the options what a checkmark, were confirmed to have been set correctly. The ones without a checkmark were not found/not in bios

Sorry I didn't expand the link to my post. I have now seen which were found and which are not present.

It would have been better if you pasted the Bios confirmation details below your message, I don't normally go looking at a link to a post I made!

Sorry I didn't expand the link to my post. I have now seen which were found and which are not present.

It would have been better if you pasted the Bios confirmation details below your message, I don't normally go looking at a link to a post I made!
Apologies and upon further inspection I do need to remove my mobo to remove the WiFi card. So I will wait till Saturday to do that. I’ll talk to you guys in a few days.

Just to be clear ... as this is a USB configuration thread:

Whether or not you decide to remove your intel wireless card is not entirely relevant to any USB problems.

Nowadays Intel 9462 wifi and BT will work with itlwm.kext. Unless you want Apple Handoff/Continuity etc, there's no need to change.

However if you do wish to change you can just disable the inbuilt BT USB bridge and configure a header for your BT replacement. Simply not using an Intel wireless kext should take care of the wifi part.

There should be no USB issue doing this (unless, again, I've missed something).

:)

Last edited:
Why do I get wrong USB speeds ?

I´m on MacOS 11.5, Aorus Pro Z390, all unwanted usb-devices deletet,
but my USB3.0 devices are nearby all @ USB2.0 speed ?!?!

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-23 um 14.17.45.png

Back