Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

I didn't include the GenericUSB IOreg version in my last set of uploads as I acknowledged it was outside of the scope of your tutorial. However, I include it in this message, and I do think I am almost done, except for a couple of small lingering question marks.

1. Thanks for the info on the PR ports. I deleted them all except for root hubs as you advised (PR11 and PR21).

2. While doing that process, I once again tried to delete HP13, and it still shows up anyway, and this time HP11 joins the party as well!

Description of attached files:

Pre_Install.png. A screenshot of Hackintool the moment before I export the kext file.

Post_Install.png. A screenshot of Hackintool after I have installed the kext, and removed the USBinject.kext, and disabled the port limit patch. HP11 and HP13, I'm stumped why they are showing.

Pre_GenericUSB.ioreg. This is captured after I booted with my new custom USBPorts.kext, but before I installed GenericUSB, just to stay true to the intent of your tutorial, and keep a clean presentation.

Post-GenericUSB.ioreg. This is what my system currently looks like, with GenericUSB also enabled.

Config.plst. Just in case.

USBPorts.kext. Just in case.

At this point Hackintool shows 16 ports. I'd be happy to remove HP11 and HP13 to go to 14, but I'm not sure how to, but since I am over 15 ports, should I be concerned and delete a port I have permission to delete, or do I just have to ensure that I only every use up to 15 at once?

many thanks,
RDP

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Pre_GenericUSB.ioreg
    5 MB · Views: 46
  • Post_Install.png
    Post_Install.png
    144.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Pre_Install.png
    Pre_Install.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Post_GenericUSB.ioreg
    5.1 MB · Views: 58
  • USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 46
I didn't include the GenericUSB IOreg version in my last set of uploads as I acknowledged it was outside of the scope of your tutorial. However, I include it in this message, and I do think I am almost done, except for a couple of small lingering question marks.

1. Thanks for the info on the PR ports. I deleted them all except for root hubs as you advised (PR11 and PR21).

2. While doing that process, I once again tried to delete HP13, and it still shows up anyway, and this time HP11 joins the party as well!

Description of attached files:

Pre_Install.png. A screenshot of Hackintool the moment before I export the kext file.

Post_Install.png. A screenshot of Hackintool after I have installed the kext, and removed the USBinject.kext, and disabled the port limit patch. HP11 and HP13, I'm stumped why they are showing.

Pre_GenericUSB.ioreg. This is captured after I booted with my new custom USBPorts.kext, but before I installed GenericUSB, just to stay true to the intent of your tutorial, and keep a clean presentation.

Post-GenericUSB.ioreg. This is what my system currently looks like, with GenericUSB also enabled.

Config.plst. Just in case.

USBPorts.kext. Just in case.

At this point Hackintool shows 16 ports. I'd be happy to remove HP11 and HP13 to go to 14, but I'm not sure how to, but since I am over 15 ports, should I be concerned and delete a port I have permission to delete, or do I just have to ensure that I only every use up to 15 at once?

many thanks,
RDP

Ah thank you, that's clearer. As I explained the ASMedia motherboard chipset is sitting at RP03. GenericUSBXHCI.kext is successfully latching onto this - good news - and placing the ports at RP08. You clearly have devices plugged in there. I can only surmise the fact it works is because of the older motherboard chipset combined with macOS 10.13.6. Great feedback :thumbup: For future reference what Security Update is your High Sierra at? This will help others going forward because, as I've said before GenericUSBXHCI.kext is nowadays considered "not working" but that's with more modern hardware. Sorry if I confused you.

As for HP13 - it's not showing in "Pre" or "Post" IORegs and it's not showing in USBPorts.kext. With Hackintool have you tried clearing the cache and reloading? Bottom row of icons, select the Broom, once done select the next one along the circular arrows to refresh. This should banish HP13. If it doesn't ... Then that has me beat.

:)

Security update is 2020-03.

I tried your instructions to clear cache and reload, but both HP11 & HP13 remain. I'll keep trying, and if successful will post my update.

thanks,
RDP

Hi. Very nice guide.
I have a question that I can't find the answer. It is possible to leave just one of the USB types on a single port? For example, I have an internal port for connecting my Bluetooth and it is USB2. So I don't need the UBS3 part of that port. Is the same on the other internal port is connected to my front panel with USB3 so I don't need the USB2 part.

Hi. Very nice guide.
I have a question that I can't find the answer. It is possible to leave just one of the USB types on a single port? For example, I have an internal port for connecting my Bluetooth and it is USB2. So I don't need the UBS3 part of that port. Is the same on the other internal port is connected to my front panel with USB3 so I don't need the USB2 part.

Hi there.

Yes, absolutely.

For a bit more information I cover precisely this in the earlier, more comprehensive guide:

Scroll down to Step 4.

Thank you very much! I gonna read it. I have another question. In my ports, I have the SS and HS but I have a PTR too. They are in my 3.1 ports. I have a Hero X with two USB 3.1 gen 2, one USB-C and one USB-A. Should I do something with this PTR? What are they?
I post a screenshot. Thanks!

Captura de pantalla 2020-07-04 a las 15.30.52.png

Thank you very much! I gonna read it. I have another question. In my ports, I have the SS and HS but I have a PTR too. They are in my 3.1 ports. I have a Hero X with two USB 3.1 gen 2, one USB-C and one USB-A. Should I do something with this PTR? What are they?
I post a screenshot. Thanks!

View attachment 479102

Those PXSX ports are provided by the ASMedia add-on USB controller. They do not count in the 15-port limit which is for Intel only. They are not on the XHCI or EHCI controllers.

macOS will treat the ASMedia ports as if they were, say, a PCI-e USB port card added to a Mac Pro, and not as internal to the system. They will work but without drivers will be hard to control.

Ok. So I can forget about that ports and then count 15 port just in XHC part right? I can delete this PXSX ports in the hackingtool to make the file?

Ok. So I can forget about that ports and then count 15 port just in XHC part right? I can delete this PXSX ports in the hackingtool to make the file?
I already did that and works great. I have my 15 ports! Thanks you for this amazing guide

Back